The Student Room Group

How to learn the element charges for GCSE

Hi, how should i effectively learn the charges of the elements that don’t fit the pattern for GCSE chemsitry as I’ve got my mocks in a few weeks
Reply 1
Group 1 metals = +1 charge,
Group 2 metals = +2 charge,
Zinc = +2 charge (or Iron is quite commonly used at GCSE, assume any transition metal is +2 is a safe assumption).
Aluminium = +3 charge,
Nitrogen = -3 charge
Oxygen / Sulphur = -2 charge
Group 7 (halogens) = -1 charge.
Ammonium ion NH4+ = +1 charge
NO3 Nitrate (V) - = -1 charge,
SO4 2- / CO3 2- Carbonate (V) / Sulphate (VI) = -2 charge

Look at their group on the periodic table and will the atoms lose or gain electrons, and how many?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
You could always seperate them into positive and negative ions and maybe make little flashcard (like the small size) and test yourself little and often before your mock.
The only important thing is that when iron is metioned in the question, it will either be written as Iron (II) meaning it would be Fe+2 or Iron (III) which would be Fe+3

Hope you do well in your mocks :smile:
Original post by DamnBro
You could always seperate them into positive and negative ions and maybe make little flashcard (like the small size) and test yourself little and often before your mock.
The only important thing is that when iron is metioned in the question, it will either be written as Iron (II) meaning it would be Fe+2 or Iron (III) which would be Fe+3

Hope you do well in your mocks :smile:

Thank you so much that is a great idea!! :smile::smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending