The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

I am disgusted by metal objects, do I have a phobia?

Is it normal to be extremely disgusted from carrying metal objects? E.g. I would never think of wearing a necklace or bracelet. I would never in a million years carry coins if they're given to me. I don't care if they're gold, silver or iron. I'm just disgusted. I am also turned off by the smell that coins leave on your hand.

This phobia only comes from small objects. I have no problem for example in touching metal which is part of architecture or street poles, or even eating with a stainless steel fork but I would be highly disgusted if the fork tasted of metal or was made of something other than stainless steel.

Is this a phobia? Or what is it exactly?
I'm sorry to hear that, this sounds like it limits your life in so many ways. How do you cope?

I'm also not sure what it could be...
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I'm sorry to hear that, this sounds like it limits your life in so many ways. How do you cope?

I'm also not sure what it could be...

For coins, I just leave them on the counter if given to me. Sometimes the cashier forces me to take them and then I have to explain that I have a phobia and leave them with a perplexed look.

For house keys, my family is familiar with my dislike for small metal objects so they either wait for me at home, leave the key and some gloves under the mat if they're out or I have to wake them up if I'm coming back home late.

I do not allow my friends to touch me if they're wearing a ring or bracelet in their hand.

I once refused to eat at a dinner I was invited to because I felt the metal that the fork was made of was disgusting (although this is very rare because nowadays most kitchen equipment are made of stainless steel)

I've lived with this my entire life and I'm completely in the dark as to why I am like this. Yes it does limit my life....
For coins, I just leave them on the counter if given to me. Sometimes the cashier forces me to take them and then I have to explain that I have a phobia and leave them with a perplexed look.

For house keys, my family is familiar with my dislike for small metal objects so they either wait for me at home, leave the key and some gloves under the mat if they're out or I have to wake them up if I'm coming back home late.

I do not allow my friends to touch me if they're wearing a ring or bracelet in their hand.

I once refused to eat at a dinner I was invited to because I felt the metal that the fork was made of was disgusting (although this is very rare because nowadays most kitchen equipment are made of stainless steel)

I've lived with this my entire life and I'm completely in the dark as to why I am like this. Yes it does limit my life....

Ohh… I'm not sure what to say exactly but I hope someone here is able to help with that.
Reply 4
Ohh… I'm not sure what to say exactly but I hope someone here is able to help with that.

thanks
thanks

ur welcome
Reply 6
:frown:
Hey! It sounds like Kosmemophobia... I also read a blog about someone's son who has the same problem, but they say it's a sensory disorder... so I'm not positive...I've been researching because I have the same problem...Metal really disgusts me... I usually don't tell people, because they just think I'm being ridiculous. Most of my family just roll their eyes say how absurd it is... But like any aversion or phobia, we can't help it. But most people just don't understand...It does get hard... I don't buy purses with a metal zipper, or chain handles... I HATE change... If I'm not in public, I use gloves to handle it. My sister's silverware makes me literally gag. Seeing people chew on their necklace makes me sick, and I have to look away. Buying anything has to really be thought out. As a kid, my siblings used to make fun of it, and once they even emptied a huge jar of pennies on the floor in a door way, so I couldn't get out of the bedroom...I have a few friends who actually know, who are just intrigued, and do try their best to accommodate me, so I don't have to touch anything I don't want to...
Reply 9
Is it normal to be extremely disgusted from carrying metal objects? E.g. I would never think of wearing a necklace or bracelet. I would never in a million years carry coins if they're given to me. I don't care if they're gold, silver or iron. I'm just disgusted. I am also turned off by the smell that coins leave on your hand.

This phobia only comes from small objects. I have no problem for example in touching metal which is part of architecture or street poles, or even eating with a stainless steel fork but I would be highly disgusted if the fork tasted of metal or was made of something other than stainless steel.

Is this a phobia? Or what is it exactly?

Actually I feel the same... I don't like small metal objects like keys, coins etc. Maybe I can touch a very new coin or a key that was just made and no one touched that... Even though I can touch big things which is made up of metal like handle bar in buses, poles etc

Latest