The Student Room Group
The Quad, Middlesex University
Middlesex University
London

Ask a Middlesex University Student!

Hello, I'm here to answer your questions on Product Design Engineering, here's the details on the website: https://www.mdx.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/product-design-engineering

To serve as an introduction. because of the idea that practical work is done and counts to over half of the course, the campus has all the tools and workshops to help achieve the practical work. You are also taught how to use CAD software which helps complete modules from the first year and even take the data from the software and place it on various machines to manufacture parts to help complete projects, as well as the paper work/essays to back it up. It's all there on campus.

Try not to get confused with BA Product Design and BEng Design Engineering. Those courses share the same assets found in the department but anyone interested in taking on those course with their their BA Product Design and BEng Design Engineering. I have an brief idea what they go through to complete their courses. I'm not stopping anyone to sign up to those other courses, it's just how close they are in terms of what is taught, to Product Design Engineering.

Since opening day is cancelled, because of the outside situation, I've started this thread.

Any questions? Feel free to ask!
(edited 4 years ago)
What software do you work on? :biggrin:
The Quad, Middlesex University
Middlesex University
London
Reply 2
Original post by CoolCavy
What software do you work on? :biggrin:

We get taught Solidworks. At the very first year, everyone gets taught how to use the program. They may change the software, depending on how well the program is, if the university decides, considering something like AutoCAD is out there (they moved away from that, a long time ago, from what I know off). They do address that the programs have similar functions such as Extrude and Revolve the shape, the designer wants when they use the software. They prefer Solidworks as I believe it's up to the standard to quickly demonstrate how CAD software is used within the industry, from what I was taught. They can also use the files in Solidworks to export it on various machinery to crafts the shapes, product designers would like for their work, such as CNC mills, lasercutters, 3D printing (use that a lot in the second year). The campus has the tools there for students to use to help complete their coursework.

I just want to mention that their sister courses BA Product Design and BEng Design Engineering use the same software Solidworks and some of the sames lectures in the department for the coursework, because the same skill sets required for the course, before branching off in the 2nd and final year to focus on the selected course, that students would want to study.
Reply 3
So with the thread title changed, I'll try to answer any questions regarding the university. I have also met various students who are studying various courses and been to Hendon to know what it's like and watching (business) students running around, gathering the skills they would like, when they promote events. I did BEng Product Design Engineering, but I'll try to explain as best as I can.
Original post by rcmotorboy
We get taught Solidworks. At the very first year, everyone gets taught how to use the program. They may change the software, depending on how well the program is, if the university decides, considering something like AutoCAD is out there (they moved away from that, a long time ago, from what I know off). They do address that the programs have similar functions such as Extrude and Revolve the shape, the designer wants when they use the software. They prefer Solidworks as I believe it's up to the standard to quickly demonstrate how CAD software is used within the industry, from what I was taught. They can also use the files in Solidworks to export it on various machinery to crafts the shapes, product designers would like for their work, such as CNC mills, lasercutters, 3D printing (use that a lot in the second year). The campus has the tools there for students to use to help complete their coursework.

I just want to mention that their sister courses BA Product Design and BEng Design Engineering use the same software Solidworks and some of the sames lectures in the department for the coursework, because the same skill sets required for the course, before branching off in the 2nd and final year to focus on the selected course, that students would want to study.

Ah that's interesting :biggrin: we use solid works as well
Reply 5
Original post by CoolCavy
Ah that's interesting :biggrin: we use solid works as well

Yeah? I'm beginning to think all the universities are using Solidworks. Of couse, there are all the other standard software like Illustrator and Photoshop to enchant presenting those ideas when they are required to presenting coursework later during the year. The CAD software is a big plus, indeed, it is. I can't imagine free drawing the main models for products, to represent coursework.

As for the overall thread, I'll post some experiences on campus, being at Hendon. I'll not going stop anyone viewing the main website which represents the university, which is found at https://www.mdx.ac.uk/ as all the course information and how to apply to courses, which are found there.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 6
To be on par on the thread title, maybe worth to explain that being at Middlesex, for sake name, as if anyone wants to look at the history of Middlesex, how it has disappeared into what people know has North Greater London, maybe hints to the kind of culture the university captures. Does feel that way. Not many students know that, because many of them in the local area just attend because they want to go to university and it's close by, which there's nothing wrong with that but there is a reason why the university is called Middlesex and it can help knowing that.
Reply 7
Original post by rcmotorboy
To be on par on the thread title, maybe worth to explain that being at Middlesex, for sake name, as if anyone wants to look at the history of Middlesex, how it has disappeared into what people know has North Greater London, maybe hints to the kind of culture the university captures. Does feel that way. Not many students know that, because many of them in the local area just attend because they want to go to university and it's close by, which there's nothing wrong with that but there is a reason why the university is called Middlesex and it can help knowing that.

Here are some interesting links to help understand the history of Middlesex Uni itself,
the links will not help with the understanding of the county Middlesex though.

A blog post with a huge amount of detail on the history of MDX
https://wpuinfo.blogspot.com/2012/01/london-public-university-middlesex.html

MDX own web page of their own history
https://www.mdx.ac.uk/about-us/what-we-do/our-history

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending