The Student Room Group
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen

Physics at Aberdeen uni

does anyone study physics at aberdeen and can tell me what it's like? I have an offer from them but from what I've read they dont seem very good
Reply 1
What things are you worried about? I originally applied to Aberdeen and edinburgh for geophysics this year but ended up changing my mind about what I want to study and choosing my insurance which was environmental science in Aberdeen. Most of your recent posts are you being worried about Aberdeen's rankings. Is it just BC you are Edinburgh reject or do you just highly believe in rankings? You even mention that Aberdeen's rankings are not good at all which is honestly a bit of a reach.

Obviously I'm biased as it's my future uni and I want to think highly of them but I'm expecting to have a great time. If you are obsessed with rankings then you should remember that in overall rankings it's top 30 UK and top 20 in physics. Also you can always mention that it's one of the ancient ones even if it doesn't rank as high as others. After all you are going for your undergrad. In a lot of STEM fields like physics that's only one of the steps in your career.
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen
Original post by I-A
What things are you worried about? I originally applied to Aberdeen and edinburgh for geophysics this year but ended up changing my mind about what I want to study and choosing my insurance which was environmental science in Aberdeen. Most of your recent posts are you being worried about Aberdeen's rankings. Is it just BC you are Edinburgh reject or do you just highly believe in rankings? You even mention that Aberdeen's rankings are not good at all which is honestly a bit of a reach.

Obviously I'm biased as it's my future uni and I want to think highly of them but I'm expecting to have a great time. If you are obsessed with rankings then you should remember that in overall rankings it's top 30 UK and top 20 in physics. Also you can always mention that it's one of the ancient ones even if it doesn't rank as high as others. After all you are going for your undergrad. In a lot of STEM fields like physics that's only one of the steps in your career.

Personally I dont care about ranking and didnt even mention it, I just want a degree. I'm just worried about if going to Aberdeen would decrease my chances of being able to apply to postgrad opportunities, ie someone else being favoured over me because they went to a "better uni". I know that undergrad is just a stepping stone but I've been told that recruiters etc do look at all the universities you've attended throughout your academic journey. I know it's a good uni, I just didnt get a good impression from their physics department when I went to their open day and that's pretty much stuck with me so I was asking if anyone studied physics there and could tell me what its actually like because I've only went to one open day cos of covid which like I said didnt leave a good impression
Original post by AnnaDaria
Personally I dont care about ranking and didnt even mention it, I just want a degree. I'm just worried about if going to Aberdeen would decrease my chances of being able to apply to postgrad opportunities, ie someone else being favoured over me because they went to a "better uni". I know that undergrad is just a stepping stone but I've been told that recruiters etc do look at all the universities you've attended throughout your academic journey. I know it's a good uni, I just didnt get a good impression from their physics department when I went to their open day and that's pretty much stuck with me so I was asking if anyone studied physics there and could tell me what its actually like because I've only went to one open day cos of covid which like I said didnt leave a good impression

Nope. There a few people i know that have gone on to oxford ucl and durham universities etc for their postgrads from aberdeen
I didn’t study physics but I did chemistry which shares some lectures. The chemistry department is not good. A lot of them seem to be nepotism hires. A professor’s wife is a lecturer but her slides are all full of basic English mistakes. Another professor’s wife is a demonstrator. She snaps at anyone who goes near her and is very unhelpful. Another professor recently found a lecturer position for her sister after supervising her PhD.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending