The Student Room Group

How important is chemistry in life?

random q lol. just curious to see what you guys think about chemistry?

According to me, I can see how its significant in the smaller things in life, but for life as a whole, is chemistry really that important? we managed to survive for hundreds of years without any knowledge of 'chemistry' or the 'atom' or anything like that. so how important is it really?
Well without knowledge of chemistry we would have little to no understanding of pharmacy and medicine. No vaccines, no antibiotics, no paracetamol ,...
Original post by MalcolmX
Well without knowledge of chemistry we would have little to no understanding of pharmacy and medicine. No vaccines, no antibiotics, no paracetamol ,...

No progress on the vaccine/antidote for Corona!
We also survived for hundreds of thousands of years without democracy. That doesn't make it less important to modern life...
Original post by artful_lounger
We also survived for hundreds of thousands of years without democracy. That doesn't make it less important to modern life...

True
Original post by MalcolmX

Fair enough ☺️
Original post by vix.xvi
random q lol. just curious to see what you guys think about chemistry?

According to me, I can see how its significant in the smaller things in life, but for life as a whole, is chemistry really that important? we managed to survive for hundreds of years without any knowledge of 'chemistry' or the 'atom' or anything like that. so how important is it really?

Also, no atom would mean no quantum physics, so no phones and computers! We'd have to use a real-life forum instead of TSR. :frown:

And no chemistry => no materials science, so no airplanes, or flying, or good lightbulbs, or anything modern. We'd all be stuck in one place, and be cold, and bored (no good and cheap paper hence no books, only wax tablets or stones).

However, there could still be a coronavirus pandemic, because ships.
Reply 7
Very little modern technology would work without understanding atoms and compounds -- so no computers or cars.
We might not even have lightbulbs (which use noble gases) and plastic objects most likely.
Our drinking water, building materials etc. would all be worse off too.
chemistry as in the science or the bond between people in relationships...

Quick Reply

Latest