The Student Room Group

dead end at 17

I'm currently in Y13, about to sit my a-levels in the summer but after that I'll be taking a gap year because I just didn't think I was prepared at all, but on further reflection it's just because I feel like I've backed myself into a corner with my a-level choices, because now the only possible career option to take is law, which everyone in the world discourages: there's too many people taking it, if you don't go to a russel group university, you'll make pennies, the job itself is monotonous and boring. I come from a family where both my parents studied in our home country, and they get paid little for hard jobs, so money has always been important, but guidance on education has never been avaliable. in other words, iIve hit a dead end already at the impressive age of 17, and messed up my future. I'm very scared and don't know what to do ... my choices are English lit, Religious studies and Classics. I know how it sounds, but please don't be mean, as at the beginning of Y12 I really did think law sounded good. I'm just very regretful, as I was only a few marks away from being able to take biology, even though I know I never would've taken chemistry needed for the medicine route. I've just been so badly disheartened and it's only been 2 weeks. My main concern is the money, because I've seen how my parents struggled, and I know I should've picked a more financially secure route then but it's all over now. The last summer exams I got were AB and unmarked for English because everyone's failing. And I know myself so I won't be able to achieve the A*AA I need to even go to a russel group uni. My friend told me to look into an apprentice degree and honestly it seems too good to be true for law. I just really need help.
Reply 1
You can do any job you want to.
Have a look on UDemy / Coursera for other courses that you are interested in. Surely you have interests that you might have thought, could I make a career out of this?

I would get the A-Levels, then when you have finished, look to do something else. It's good to have educational qualifications, as later on in life, you may want to pursue this law field. You never know.
Reply 2
Original post by venusrisinq
I'm currently in Y13, about to sit my a-levels in the summer but after that I'll be taking a gap year because I just didn't think I was prepared at all, but on further reflection it's just because I feel like I've backed myself into a corner with my a-level choices, because now the only possible career option to take is law, which everyone in the world discourages: there's too many people taking it, if you don't go to a russel group university, you'll make pennies, the job itself is monotonous and boring. I come from a family where both my parents studied in our home country, and they get paid little for hard jobs, so money has always been important, but guidance on education has never been avaliable. in other words, iIve hit a dead end already at the impressive age of 17, and messed up my future. I'm very scared and don't know what to do ... my choices are English lit, Religious studies and Classics. I know how it sounds, but please don't be mean, as at the beginning of Y12 I really did think law sounded good. I'm just very regretful, as I was only a few marks away from being able to take biology, even though I know I never would've taken chemistry needed for the medicine route. I've just been so badly disheartened and it's only been 2 weeks. My main concern is the money, because I've seen how my parents struggled, and I know I should've picked a more financially secure route then but it's all over now. The last summer exams I got were AB and unmarked for English because everyone's failing. And I know myself so I won't be able to achieve the A*AA I need to even go to a russel group uni. My friend told me to look into an apprentice degree and honestly it seems too good to be true for law. I just really need help.

It's important to remember that law and medicine are not the only routes to make a lot of money. I've seen people with a history of art degree go on to work in banking and make a lot of money. It isn't the degree or the university that single-handedly makes you earn a lot of money immediately, its what you do with that degree, work experience and your motivation. To be honest if you feel like you can't meet high grades and want to study at a Russell group, study one of your a-levels further at degree level as the requirements will be lower.

You must follow your passion in life, not what makes you money, as you have to work this job every day of your life for 40+ years. What you enjoy and are good at will always benefit you in life, why waste a life focusing on money when you can do something you enjoy and never work a day in your life?
Honestly after doing my GCSEs I was also really confused in which direction to take. I had mixed feelings about going in to the nursing field as I can imagine the effect it would have on me mentally. Also it's very saturated and you get payed peanuts but luckily I then found a computing course. Believe it or not you actually don't need any prior computing knowledge to study cyber security, software engineering ect in alot of uni's. It also isn't saturated meaning u get really high wages and can even work from the comfort of Ur own home. I just wanted to put this option forward just incase u might be interested. Wish u luck on whichever route u take. Hope this helps a little.

Quick Reply

Latest