The Student Room Group

why am i dreading a levels so much

im in year 11 and we have to pick our a levels soon and i was gonna take chemistry, biology and maths and AS french but everytime i think about it i just get these waves of dread because ik that its not really the a levels i want to do but at the same time i havent figured out what i do want to do. i just feel completely lost because everyone seems to have found at least one subject they're truly interested in and are passionate about but i just feel lost.

sorry ik im making it way deeper than it is
If you don't want to pick Chem, Bio & Math, don't. This isn't GCSE where you can scrape a 5 or 6 with a subject you dislike. What are your best subjects right now and what degrees are you interested in so you can leave the door open for them.

Also I would say AS French would be a waste of your time simply because it's an AS and you have 3 very difficult subjects already.
I never picked a level subjects I was acc passionate in, I would suggest you to pick maths tho for sure - it opens up different career paths. But if it’s difficult then it’s not essential. Maths was a struggle for a lot of people I knew. I picked chemistry, biology and RS, and I can’t lie it was really enjoyable. Never really got stressed as I liked to revise for sciencey subjects and RS I just left it as my “disposable” subject. I ended up getting all A’s in the end bc I started revision from day 1 of year 12, if you do that you’ll be fine regardless of the subjects you pick.
Original post by ferdi295
im in year 11 and we have to pick our a levels soon and i was gonna take chemistry, biology and maths and AS french but everytime i think about it i just get these waves of dread because ik that its not really the a levels i want to do but at the same time i havent figured out what i do want to do. i just feel completely lost because everyone seems to have found at least one subject they're truly interested in and are passionate about but i just feel lost.

See a counsellor about this.

Having said that, you are taking on some of the most challenging A Level subjects so I wouldn't be surprised if you feel a little dread.

The fact that you chose biology and chemistry implies that you are looking at life sciences and healthcare. The fact that you have maths imply that you are either looking at almost any random subject outside of music and humanities, or you want to boost your application for a life science based degree. The AS French looks like something for interest.

Should I presume that you initially wanted to do medicine?

It's not unusual that you don't know what you want to do. People have the same feeling in their 30s, 50s, and even 70s. People have gone into a profession and then decide to leave because it wasn't what they wanted, and that's pretty normal. I mean, if you did a random search on YouTube of why people left medicine for example, you will get a range of answers:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=why+i+left+medicine

The benefit of knowing what you want to do is that you don't have to spend years searching for it. However, this is not always possible and not everyone has managed to find it. On the other hand, it means you are also less fixated on one thing, and you are able to switch jobs/subjects should you wish or need to do so.

On the other hand, the drawback is that you spend your life doing something you hate and never done anything to find yourself. One of the tradegies of life is getting good at the wrong thing.

The sort of guidelines that I use to help me figure things out related to this include:

What sort of people do you enjoy hanging around with?

What did you wanted to grow up to be when you were 5-14?

What are your strengths and weaknesses?

Which subjects did you find easy and difficult?

What are your values? List them out

Is money important to you? Is life work balance important to you?

What grown ups did you hang around when growing up? What were their jobs?

What makes you happy?

What makes you excited?

When was the last time you were buzzing? What were you doing and what did you do?

If you were never paid a penny for the job, what would you still do?

If you were to retire tomorrow (please don't), what would you go out of your way to do?

Who were your role models? What jobs did they do? What is it about them that inspired you?

Under what circumstances would you step out of your way to go into a role to do something about a situation? What sort of situation is it?

What's on your bucket list? What sort of job would accommodate the goals on there?

What are your life goals? Do you intend to start a family at some point? Would your job need to change in order to accommodate that? How?

There were times in our lives when we were in "flow" (or as I like to put it, "in the Zone"). What were you doing during those times?

Can you imagine your job around people? How are you when working with people?

What skills would you like to use the most?

Do you have any talent in anything in particular?

If you were stuck in a job where you do the same thing over and over, what sort of task do you not mind mindlessly doing day in day out?

What do you find important in life? Why?

If we were stuck in an endless conversation, what would you refuse to shut up about?

What's the first thing you would check on your phone every morning or by the time you get home?

What are the things you would not stop thinking about?

The above is quite a bit to contemplate, but hopefully it helps.

You don't even need a concrete idea, just a general scope of what you like and then it's a lot easier to figure out the general direction you need to look into.

Heya!
Do you like the subjects you are picking? Your choice isn't a must and you can swap a-levels early on :h: I would recommend exploring courses (Unicompare) and careers (prospects) as a start. You aren't limited only to science subjects with those :h: Maths can be used for economics or computer science degrees as well! If you decide not to do something science related, you can always do law (which has no specific entry requirements but you do need good grades). If you want to see what's waiting for you, I would recommend checking out Study Mind and seeing free revision notes and practice questions to get a feel for the a-levels early on.

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Reply 5

Bro, trust me when your studying at school your preparing for a dead end job where you do the same **** over and over again for cash. Trust me, no body like anything, everything. Your doing right now if for money. Just pick computer science because it pays a lot.

Quick Reply

Latest