The Student Room Group

Sheffield vs York University Chemistry Firm Choice

Should I firm Sheffield or York for chemistry BSc?
I'm interested in hearing about people's experiences and what they have heard about both universities.
Some example Qs:
Which one has a more reputable chemistry department?
Which one is more social?
Which one has more to do in its city?
Original post by prankcake
Should I firm Sheffield or York for chemistry BSc?
I'm interested in hearing about people's experiences and what they have heard about both universities.
Some example Qs:
Which one has a more reputable chemistry department?
Which one is more social?
Which one has more to do in its city?

Hi,

Firstly, congratulations on your offers!

Obviously, I'm biased towards York :smile: But both universities are great options and they're both in the Russell Group, so they are among the leading UK universities in research and academic achievement. Regarding reputation, York is 7th for Chemistry in the Complete University Guide 2023 and our BSc Chemistry is accredited by the Royal Society of Chemistry, assuring the quality of our teaching.

However, although rankings are important, it's definitely worth considering all factors that will shape your time at university (accommodation, social life, facilities, city, careers). I'd recommend having a read through our student blogs and watching our student vlog channel to get an insight into what it's like to live and study in York.

With regards to the city, York is such a beautiful place to live - I love it here! The city centre is an ever-evolving space and you won’t get bored of things to do. There are so many independent shops, quirky streets, little cafes and pubs/bars. I heard a rumour at uni that there are more pubs in York than there are days of the year and I wouldn’t be surprised if that was true! Whether you want to do Harry Potter themed mini golf or have a drink by the river, there’s something for everyone!
Check out our city guide, which has loads of info about the many things to see and do in York as a student. You can also take a self-guided tour of the city with our Visit UoY app!

When it comes to picking your firm choice, my advice would be to think about what's important to you about being at university so that your experience is the best it can be. And if you can, try to visit both unis and cities to get a feel for what it'd be like to live there. Also, chat with current students to ask about their experience.

I hope that helps a bit, and I'm sure you'll have an amazing time whichever university you choose!

Helen :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending