The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40

Im stuck on part B and C :confused: Any help would be greatly appreciated
Reply 41
Reptile

Im stuck on part B and C :confused: Any help would be greatly appreciated

I assume for a you used v = dr/dt. Isn't that M2?
As for part B. Use pythagoras. The magnitude = rt[ icoefficient^2 + jcoefficient^2]
Part C follows from that.
Reply 42
Widowmaker
I did a bit of decision/statistics last year and I found it harder than pure and mechanics.

Horses for courses, guys.

I did Edexcel Decision1 last year and got 100%...

...However, I ought to add that I have 30+ years experience of timetabling, scheduling, programming, etc... so not to sit it would have been a waste.

Take what you're good at. Get the points.

Aitch
Reply 43
Just hit the Back button and realised this is supposed to be an M1 Jan 05 discussion thread.

How we digress. Put up some M1 questions and let's get back on thread.

Aitch
Any more revision questions?
:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 45
how do you do all parts of reptiles question?

I can only ever be able to find out what r and s is and that's it for me, rest of the vector question i can't do.
nas7232
how do you do all parts of reptiles question?

I can only ever be able to find out what r and s is and that's it for me, rest of the vector question i can't do.

reptiles?
Reply 47
yep, reptile's question

it's posted above, with the exam paper scanned in
Reply 48
Two forces F1 and F2 act on a particle. The force F1 is parallel to the vector (i+j) and the force F2 is parallel to the vector (i+2j). Given that the resultant R of these two forces is of magnitude 15N and parallel to the vector (3i+4j), find the magnitude of F1 and the magnitude of F2.

What answer do you get?
Reply 49
r=6ti+(t^2)j

(a) v=(dr/dt)=6i+2tj

(b) s=|v|=|(dr/dt)|=root((6^2)+((2t)^2))=root(36+4(t^2))=root(4)root(9+(t^2))

=> s=2root(9+(t^2))

(c) 2root(9+(t^2))=6root(2)

Dividing through by 2:

root(9+(t^2))=3root(2)

Squaring each side:

9+(t^2)=18

=>(t^2)=18-9

=>(t^2)=9=>t=root(9)

=>t=3s

Newton.
Reply 50
Can someone do my question please. Thanks.
Reply 51
If a force is parallel to a vector let us say b then it means that the direction in which it is acting is kb, where k is an arbitary constant.

"Given that the resultant R of these two forces is of magnitude 15N and parallel to the vector (3i+4j)"

That means that the direction in which the force is acting is k(3i+4j).

=>|F|=15=root(k^2)root((3^2)+(4^2))=kroot25=5k

=> 15=5k

=> k=3

That means that F1 is in the vector direction of (3i+3j). Therefore:

|F1|=root((3^2)+(3^2))=root(9+9)=root(9(1+1))=root(9)root2=3root(2)

Consequently F2 is in the direction of (3i+6j). Therefore:

|F2|=root((3^2)+(6^2))=root(9+36)=root(9(1+4))=root(9)root(5)=3root(5)

Newton.
Reply 52
youve got your F2 right, but F1 wrong. The answer for F1 is 8.49, which is two times your answer. Thanks btw.
Reply 53
My answer is right for both of the forces. Your mark scheme is wrong.

Newton.
Reply 54
IM soo crap at moments!! i understand and can do every past paper questions except the moments ones!!!

any tips on how to revise on that? or understand that
Kuddly!
IM soo crap at moments!! i understand and can do every past paper questions except the moments ones!!!

any tips on how to revise on that? or understand that

If a beam/rod is about to tilt on one of its pivots the reaction at the other pivots goes to zero.

Resolve forces upwards and downwards, or take moments about a point where there is an unknown e.g. a reaction R. If there are 2 unknowns, e.g. reaction and weight and you have to find weight, take moments about the point where the unknown reaction is.

In equilibirum, forces add up to zero.

Remember mathematical models assumed in this chapter.
uniform rod - c.o.m at centre so weight acts at centre.
non-uniform rod - centre of mass not at centre and so position of weight might have to be found.
rod - length is only considered here, all other dimensions (e.g. width) are ignored.

Always draw diagrams no matter how simple the question might seem.

That's all the advice I can give.
Go through all the moments exam questions in heinemann book and exam papers and you will get there.

Are you taking in Jan?
Reply 56
thanx a lot hun!
but you see i know all the information about moments
but when it comes to resolving them, i dont know which way the moment at the pivots/centre of mass go? like anticlockwise or clockwise, and what distance to multiply it!
i can do the easy questions but the hard ones are a killer

yes im taking it next monday :s-smilie:! i toook it in june 2!...got a B but messed up in the moment question...
Kuddly!
thanx a lot hun!
but when it comes to resolving them, i dont know which way the moment at the pivots/centre of mass go? like anticlockwise or clockwise, and what distance to multiply it!

yes im taking it next monday :s-smilie:! i toook it in june 2!...got a B but messed up in the moment question...

It's next wednesday isn't it?
Kuddly!
thanx a lot hun!

Do you mean moments in vector form?
Reply 59
no,
you when you draw the diagrams, and they say " person x who weighs 20 kg stands sumwhere between pivot A and B which is (2m long) and a uniform rod weighing 30kg, find the distance between X and A?"

how do if person x is anticlockwise or clockwise moment??

Latest