The Student Room Group

canadian student: domestic or overseas tuition?

Hi, I'm a first year university student and inquiring if I am eligible or not to be categorized as a home student?

My mom is British born but moved to Canada to get married , on the other hand, I was born in Canada and lived in England for 4 years and during that time received a full British passport. But its long overdue and will handle its renewal as soon as possible.

I found some information on this site http://www.stocktonsfc.ac.uk/international_students/tuition_fees

under Tuition Fee Status: ‘overseas’ and ‘home’ students , the last point, it says " You have a full UK passport showing British citizenship." is this correct?
Reply 1
jaysan
Hi, I'm a first year university student and inquiring if I am eligible or not to be categorized as a home student?

My mom is British born but moved to Canada to get married , on the other hand, I was born in Canada and lived in England for 4 years and during that time received a full British passport. But its long overdue and will handle its renewal as soon as possible.

I found some information on this site http://www.stocktonsfc.ac.uk/international_students/tuition_fees

under Tuition Fee Status: ‘overseas’ and ‘home’ students , the last point, it says " You have a full UK passport showing British citizenship." is this correct?

I *Think* it's citizenship or residency for 3 or more years (the 3 years immediately prior to starting university). However, the fact that your mother is British might hold some weight.
Have you received an invoice for tuition fees yet? if not, or even if so, contact your university, and explain the entire situation to them :smile:
If you have a British passport, I think you'll classify as a home student, because I think you have to have citizenship to get one...
Reply 3
You will be charged 'home' fees. You must be a British citizen if you have a British passport + your mom is British.
Reply 4
No. You have to have been 'ordinarily resident' here for the three years prior to starting, as well as being a citizen, in order to pay Home/EU fees for university - one of my friends is Hong Kong-born, so she has a British passport, but because she only came here for two years before uni for sixth form she's charged the full international fees. The link you gave is a sixth form college, so different rules apply.

See here for confirmation: http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/files/pdf/info_sheets/tuition_fees_ewni.pdf
Reply 5
Overseas fees because you have not resided in the UK for 3 years immediately before starting university. I know this because i'm a prospective overseas student myself. (I'm a full British citizen living in Hong Kong, by the way).

One question: what is the fee status for a British citizen if he wants to go to university in Canada?
Reply 6
RobbieH
One question: what is the fee status for a British citizen if he wants to go to university in Canada?

International student (approx CAD 16,000 per year)
jaysan

I'm not sure if you're going to be categorized as a home student...but I guess you'll have to pay international fees if you don't have a full British passport. Though your mother is British born...does she have a British passport? If she does...I assume that you could get "home" status.
jaysan

You have to have been studying in the UK / European Union for at least the 3 years prior to attending university. The passport thing only comes into play at that juncture otherwise it's essentially useless. If you've received all your education for the last 3 years in Canada then you'll pay overseas fees, I'm afraid.
Reply 9
There seems to be some confussion as how to interpret the text that mentions" need to be resident for 3 year prior your university start date. Like I said earlier, I have a full UK passport and maybe that 3 year rule applies solely to non-citizens/passport holders. well, who knows, theres so much ambiguity even on the goverments website when reading through the actual text or legislature crap. Il prob just contact the Uk consulate or embassy.

Latest

Trending

Trending