The Student Room Group

Been living overseas

Hello there.

In 2026, my daughter will summit an application to the UK University for a Bachelor of Arts in Design or Psychology.

We have spent the last ten years working abroad as British nationals, but our permitted house is in the UK, however, my daughter followed us as well. We frequently return to the UK in the summer. We have a National Insurance number and pay UK tax annually (excluding salary income tax). Also, my daughter's medical problems are being treated locally through surgery when she needs it.
I am wondering if my daughter can apply to a UK university as a domestic student fee rather than an international student or impossible. let's me know what my daughter needs if it's possible

Please, advise me.

Thank you.
Original post by YKelly
Hello there.

In 2026, my daughter will summit an application to the UK University for a Bachelor of Arts in Design or Psychology.

We have spent the last ten years working abroad as British nationals, but our permitted house is in the UK, however, my daughter followed us as well. We frequently return to the UK in the summer. We have a National Insurance number and pay UK tax annually (excluding salary income tax). Also, my daughter's medical problems are being treated locally through surgery when she needs it.
I am wondering if my daughter can apply to a UK university as a domestic student fee rather than an international student or impossible. let's me know what my daughter needs if it's possible

Please, advise me.

Thank you.

Fee status is determined by each of the universities that you apply to in accordance with government regulations. The UKCISA website is the best place to go for information and advice:

https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information--Advice/Fees-and-Money/Home-or-Overseas-fees-the-basics
Unis will consider the reason she was abroad during this time along with any evidence about what links she (and you) maintained with the UK.

The UKCISA link above is very useful for seeing what guidance the unis will be following.
Reply 3
Basic info about Fee Status - https://www.bath.ac.uk/guides/understanding-your-tuition-fee-status/
Any Uni that needs more info will send a fee questionnaire to complete and return with any required documents like copies of overseas contract, proof of residence etc
Original post by YKelly
Hello there.
Please, advise me.
Thank you.

Hey I currently applied to med school unis in the UK for 2024 entry and was in the same situation, father was shifted abroad by company, was born and raised in the UK up until 2019. Once you apply youll have a chance to fill in fee questionnaires by the respective unis, unis all have different criterias and methods of determining your fee status for example in my instance 3 unis have me home fee (kent, aston, brunel) and 2 gave me oversee fees (cardiff ,kings , but asking for reassement from kings). So it is 100% possible just have all documentations ready whilst applying like annual tax documents, mortage payments, bank statements, evidence of travelling back to the uk etc.. Hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending