The Student Room Group

Eligibility

I’m a UK national. Was born in the UK and spent more than half my life there. I had to move to Germany, then US, then Canada because of my parent’s work so I have NOT been resident in the UK for the last 6 years. BUT, my sister is in her second year of Uni in the UK and she gets student finance. Will I be approved?
Reply 1
I think I’ve found the reason to support our eligibility- we were living in Germany on December 31, 2020- according to the gov.uk site. So that means that I can apply as a domestic student? (Or does student finance provide full support for international student fees???)
Original post by Kgtuk
I’m a UK national. Was born in the UK and spent more than half my life there. I had to move to Germany, then US, then Canada because of my parent’s work so I have NOT been resident in the UK for the last 6 years. BUT, my sister is in her second year of Uni in the UK and she gets student finance. Will I be approved?

Hi there, Was your parents employment classed as Temporary? Thanks, Angela
Reply 3
Original post by Angela SFE
Hi there, Was your parents employment classed as Temporary? Thanks, Angela

I’m not sure - they are self-employed (and we had to move to Canada to care for my grandparents) but their objective is to move back to the UK in the next year. But does any of that matter because of this part copied from the gov.uk site??

You may be eligible for full support if you're a UK national who:
was living in the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein on 31 December 2020, or returned to the UK between 1 January 2018 and 31 December 2020 immediately after living in the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein
Original post by Kgtuk
I’m not sure - they are self-employed (and we had to move to Canada to care for my grandparents) but their objective is to move back to the UK in the next year. But does any of that matter because of this part copied from the gov.uk site??

You may be eligible for full support if you're a UK national who:
was living in the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein on 31 December 2020, or returned to the UK between 1 January 2018 and 31 December 2020 immediately after living in the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein

Hi there,

When did you return to the UK and when is your course due to start? Thanks, Jason
Reply 5
Original post by SFE Jason
Hi there,

When did you return to the UK and when is your course due to start? Thanks, Jason

I haven’t returned. I’m in the process of applying for September’24 but I can’t go if I have to pay international student fees which is why I’m trying to find out if I qualify for SF.
Original post by Kgtuk
I haven’t returned. I’m in the process of applying for September’24 but I can’t go if I have to pay international student fees which is why I’m trying to find out if I qualify for SF.

Hi there,

If you living outside the UK or EU was on a temporary basis you may be eligible to apply for UK funding but if it was not temporary then you would need to live in the UK or EU for 3 years prior to the start of your course to be eligible for UK funding.

Thanks, Drew
Reply 7
Original post by Kgtuk

How is ‘temporary’ determined?
Original post by Kgtuk
How is ‘temporary’ determined?

Hi there,

What could be classed as a temporary break?

Gap Year

Holiday

Study or Placement overseas

Voluntary Work overseas

HM Armed Forces/National Service

Parents working abroad on a temporary contract of employment

Showing you still had links to UK IE still paying bills in the UK or bank accounts

Thanks, Drew
Reply 9
Original post by Drew SLC
Hi there,

What could be classed as a temporary break?

Gap Year

Holiday

Study or Placement overseas

Voluntary Work overseas

HM Armed Forces/National Service

Parents working abroad on a temporary contract of employment

Showing you still had links to UK IE still paying bills in the UK or bank accounts

Thanks, Drew

Thanks
Original post by Kgtuk
Thanks

Hi there,

You're welcome. Enjoy the rest of your day.

Thanks, Drew

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending