The Student Room Group

Applying for Medicine

Hi Im applying for medicine at the University of Nottingham, Southampton, Liverpool and Bristol.

Im pretty sure that Nottingham and Southampton dont have interviews so does that mean they'd look at grades more???? And would the grades below be good enough to apply to them??

GCSE
English Lit - A*, English Lang - A*, Mathematics - A, Science Dbl Award - A,A, Geography - A, R.E - A, French - B, History - B, Drama - B, I.T - Pass

A2 Predictions
A - Chemistry
A - Mathematics
A - English Literature
B - Biology

Im quite concerned about my B prediction in Biology.... do you think they would reject me because of this. And also I am trialing English Literature as my fourth A2 Subject.... do you think I should continue all 4?

Thanks alot guys!! :biggrin:
Reply 1
Well I wouldn't say the grades in themselves would get you a place, but they're strong enough to warrant consideration (I think nottingham do interview, not sure though). How about your UKCAT score?

Tbh, there's no real need to continue a fourth A2, as there might be a chance that unis give you an AAAA offer instead of just AAA. Doing an extra A-level won't carry too much extra weight, but if you enjoy it and are good it (which seems to be true!), go for it. Watch out for the workload though!
Reply 2
I thought all medicine courses needed interview?
Reply 3
magpie19
Hi Im applying for medicine at the University of Nottingham, Southampton, Liverpool and Bristol.

Im pretty sure that Nottingham and Southampton dont have interviews so does that mean they'd look at grades more???? And would the grades below be good enough to apply to them??

GCSE
English Lit - A*, English Lang - A*, Mathematics - A, Science Dbl Award - A,A, Geography - A, R.E - A, French - B, History - B, Drama - B, I.T - Pass

A2 Predictions
A - Chemistry
A - Mathematics
A - English Literature
B - Biology

Im quite concerned about my B prediction in Biology.... do you think they would reject me because of this. And also I am trialing English Literature as my fourth A2 Subject.... do you think I should continue all 4?

Thanks alot guys!! :biggrin:

All unis interview for medicine.

Your gcse grades seem fine, though some unis ask for a certain number of A/A* grades, you'll have to check their sites to find out.

I wouldn't be fussed with the B really, you'll need an A in chem.

As for the 4th A level, if you think you can handle the workload then go for it.
Reply 4
All looks good, and some medical schools don't interview, Edinburgh for example.

Also have a brilliant PS, lots of work shadowing/experience/volunteering ect
kate.dt
I thought all medicine courses needed interview?

Southampton and Edinburgh don't generally interview, the rest do.
Reply 6
thanks alot guys!!! yeah Im trying to get predicted an A in biology at the moment.... Im sure that will go ahead and I'll have 4 A's as predictions... which Im sure will be good enough. My UKCAT is on the 26th of September and im aiming for 650 or above!! Hopefully with the grades, my score in the UKCAT and a great personal statement I'll at least be considered for an interview!!!! Do any of you know what the requirements are for UCL.... because on the UCAS website they're requirements say AABe... that doesnt sound right does it?....
Nottingham definitely interview. As for UCL, they do say AABe but obviously the vast majority will be predicted AAA with at least a B in the fourth AS. You may have a very slight advantage since they like a "contrasting subject" like Lit at A2.

Only carry four on if you're very confident in getting AAA in Biology, Chemistry and one other. For Medicine your offer with four A2s would probably be AAAC I'd imagine (in most cases).

Latest

Trending

Trending