The Student Room Group

Low chance of uni

Currently I’m 6th year and applying for uni for next year. I’m applying for 2 gateways to medicine, neuroscience for Edinburgh uni and hopefully two unis for law.

Obviously for law you only mainly require English as a higher subject. I was hoping to know if anyone has an idea if I have a lower chance of being accepted into the 2 law schools as someone who studies majority sciences rather than humanity subjects like modern studies, history, RMPS, politics eg
Original post by Priyaroyx
Currently I’m 6th year and applying for uni for next year. I’m applying for 2 gateways to medicine, neuroscience for Edinburgh uni and hopefully two unis for law.

Obviously for law you only mainly require English as a higher subject. I was hoping to know if anyone has an idea if I have a lower chance of being accepted into the 2 law schools as someone who studies majority sciences rather than humanity subjects like modern studies, history, RMPS, politics eg

One key issue you face is how to write a single personal statement for such differing courses.
Original post by Priyaroyx

You should apply to one subject (or at most medicine plus a 5th that accepts a medicine personal statement), not three different ones. As above you get a single PS for all your courses. However, a medicine personal statement is not going to get you any offers from a law course. A law personal statement will not get you any offers for a medicine course.

If you are serious about applying to medicine you should apply to four medicine courses (whether to apply to a 5th course or not bother is a personal choice, although realistically if you are serious about it there's not much point in using the 5th option compared to just taking a gap year and reapplying), and your application should be entirely tailored towards applying to medicine.

Also worth noting many gateway to medicine courses/foundation year medicine courses require you to meet specific widening participation criteria so make sure you do indeed meet those criteria - no point in applying if you don't.

I should hope you have done medicine work experience already, or will be starting it soon?

That aside, law degrees have no preference for subjects at AH to be humanities courses as far as I'm aware (certainly not in England/Wales - Scotland as far as I'm aware they do not either) and are quite happy to take applicants with all STEM subjects as they develop the same key analytical skills needed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending