The Student Room Group

Why can’t I get references and how to fix it?

I’m at uni and every time it comes to applying for jobs, I get stuck with references.
My academic advisor is on leave this term and so is not responding to emails so she’s no longer an option and I don’t have any sort of relationship with her cover yet. The only other job I’ve had I wasn’t at long enough and none of the people/ organisations I volunteered for have got back to me so I feel quite stuck. I’m not even trying to find employment anymore, I just want to do some more voluntary work and I understand the need for references but they don’t half make things difficult.
What other options do I have? I thought about contacting a couple of my module tutors from last year but I don’t know about that.
Hello

I had a Zoom interview earlier today at four pm this afternoon for a new job. The third person attending will serve as my first professional reference.
Who else can act as your reference? I would literally chase up on the references tomorrow morning pronto via phone or email as well. You need to sort this now or your chances of getting that dream position will be literally ruined too soon. References are supposed to make things easier not harder.
Find another voluntary job soon and go from there. Build up your contacts as well. Create a free personal LinkedIn account and also do go to a few different career fairs at your university. Talk to random people at university parties too. Believe in yourself. Take up a new hobby. See if you can gain some more relevant experience first. Volunteer abroad at a special needs camp and also build up your key skills and desirable qualities in addition. If all else fails, try being a freelance writer. Enrol on courses for adults.
Reply 2
Original post by shortgirl96
Hello

I had a Zoom interview earlier today at four pm this afternoon for a new job. The third person attending will serve as my first professional reference.
Who else can act as your reference? I would literally chase up on the references tomorrow morning pronto via phone or email as well. You need to sort this now or your chances of getting that dream position will be literally ruined too soon. References are supposed to make things easier not harder.
Find another voluntary job soon and go from there. Build up your contacts as well. Create a free personal LinkedIn account and also do go to a few different career fairs at your university. Talk to random people at university parties too. Believe in yourself. Take up a new hobby. See if you can gain some more relevant experience first. Volunteer abroad at a special needs camp and also build up your key skills and desirable qualities in addition. If all else fails, try being a freelance writer. Enrol on courses for adults.

The problem is, I need references for many of the voluntary positions. I’m sure there are some that don’t but I’ve yet to find them. I honestly feel so disheartened, like I’ve wasted all of my time not networking enough because I thought I’d have both professional and academic references. Do you mean I just need to network a lot more? Honestly, idk anyone who doesn’t view needing references as a bit of a burden. I can’t chase up people I have no way of contacting, you know? It feels like I’m going to have to start from scratch.
Think about any hobbies. Yes basically go to career networking events and talk to people there.
Reply 4
Original post by shortgirl96
Think about any hobbies. Yes basically go to career networking events and talk to people there.

Thank you
Original post by Anonymous
I’m at uni and every time it comes to applying for jobs, I get stuck with references.
My academic advisor is on leave this term and so is not responding to emails so she’s no longer an option and I don’t have any sort of relationship with her cover yet. The only other job I’ve had I wasn’t at long enough and none of the people/ organisations I volunteered for have got back to me so I feel quite stuck. I’m not even trying to find employment anymore, I just want to do some more voluntary work and I understand the need for references but they don’t half make things difficult.
What other options do I have? I thought about contacting a couple of my module tutors from last year but I don’t know about that.

What about your Head of Sixth Form? Someone from school would still be OK at this stage.
Reply 6
Original post by Muttley79
What about your Head of Sixth Form? Someone from school would still be OK at this stage.

It has been about two and a half years since finishing sixth form so I’m not really sure, it seems like too long ago but then I suppose some people have references from a while back and it wouldn’t hurt to ask.
Original post by Anonymous
It has been about two and a half years since finishing sixth form so I’m not really sure, it seems like too long ago but then I suppose some people have references from a while back and it wouldn’t hurt to ask.

We have requests from longer ago than that! It is worth asking ...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending