The Student Room Group

How is student life at a London Uni compared to a campus Uni

Hello

Just trying to choose unis to go to now and there are some London Unis (LSE and Cass Business School) that do my course. I am slightly apprehencive about going here however as they are London Unis. I am just worried that the Student Life will not be very good as they do not have a campus. For example, I am sure these Unis wont have very good sport facilities. Another thing, do you find that parts of the Unis are scattered around, so there is a lot of travelling to do? Is it true that student satisfaction is not great in a London Uni?

Just give me a little more in sight into what it's like going to a London Uni. Did you enjoy it?

Thanks
Reply 1
The experience is very varied since there are quite a few universities. If you apply to a university that's part of University of London, you can theoretically use facilities from other unis in UOL.

There are campuses for london unis. Have you seen the campuses for unis like UCL or King's? You will see that they are quite nice.

Personally I am having a good time at uni in London.
Reply 2
London absolutely kills it. I would hate to be stuck on a campus. Do you really think some of the country's best unis dont have sports facilities?
Reply 3
Depends what you mean by sports facilities. Like if you mean massive football pitches or something, then LSE has them, but they are miles away. But there is loads of indoor stuff around LSE and ULU.

And in terms of student life, London should win hands down. Better being in the city than being confined on campus...
Reply 4
Well, Brunel is said to have pretty good nightlife, and its a campus. Plus its meant to have a really good community feel to it, and if you want to, you can just go into central london by tube - 40 mins. Think with that uni you'd probabley get a bit of both. :smile:
Reply 5
I have a few friends at campus unis (including some at Brunel).

you pretty much wake up in your halls, go to your lectures in the building opposite, go for lunch in the student cafe 200 metres away, buy your food at the campus convenience store next door, go drinking in the student bar down the road, end up in the student club next door then go back to your halls.

there's slight variation for Brunel, you might go to Liquid in Uxbridge town centre once a week and maybe central London once a month, but it still seems depressing.

I guess it depends on how convenient you'd like everything to be but generally central London unis win. people outside of London always complain about the idea of travelling until they get used to it and realise it's actually a good thing:

you might have to travel for 20 minutes to get from your residence to your lectures, but it means that you see more of the city you're living in and you're more inclined to go out and explore different places, rather than just staying in the same crap claustrophobic student bubble all the time.

Latest

Trending

Trending