The Student Room Group

How do you guys visit unis that are so far away??

Hey guys, I am applying to different unis that are all hours away from me (by drive) such as Loughborough. The thing is, I would love to go and visit their open days but they are like 3+ hours away from me. (I live in london)

For people like me, how did you manage to visit open days? Is travelling that long just for an open day considered normal?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Clivierx
Hey guys, I am applying to different unis that are all hours away from me (by drive) such as Loughborough. The thing is, I would love to go and visit their open days but they are like 3+ hours away from me. (I live in london)

For people like me, how did you manage to visit open days? Is travelling that long just for an open day considered normal?

Train or bus, booked in advance. You are going to make the journey about 6 times a year if you go there as a student.
I got the train to all my uni open days, which is especially easy being in London, e.g. London to Loughborough is a super quick and very easy direct train.

Unis are spread out all over the UK and it is very common for people to go away from their home area, so travelling for an open day is very normal.

Don't forget if you go to these unis that long journey is going to become part of your regular routine if you come home during some weekends and holidays.
(edited 7 months ago)
Did a few overnights, cheap hotels and B&B - depends how much you want to visit these places

Scottish Unis we did while on holiday, rang them and they sorted personal tours for us

Longest single day was Exeter, 9 hours in the car - wouldn't do that again

Tended to stay a few miles from the venue as places in the town seemed to get booked up
Reply 4
Original post by mah1000000
I got the train to all my uni open days, which is especially easy being in London, e.g. London to Loughborough is a super quick and very easy direct train.

Unis are spread out all over the UK and it is very common for people to go away from their home area, so travelling for an open day is very normal.

Don't forget if you go to these unis that long journey is going to become part of your regular routine if you come home during some weekends and holidays.

hmmm true. I'm not sure how the whole train process works, do you mind giving me a quick over view as I have literally never left London in my whole life and I'm 17. Thank you for the advice, I appreciate it soo much :smile:)
hmmm true. I'm not sure how the whole train process works, do you mind giving me a quick over view as I have literally never left London in my whole life and I'm 17. Thank you for the advice, I appreciate it soo much :smile:)

You buy a ticket (national rail enquiries or a ticket office are the best ways to find out about timetables), collect your ticket and get on the train.

Sure what kind of overview do you need?

In the most basic sense you go onto the trainline app or website, select London as your start and then the uni town as the destination. It will show you tickets which will vary in prices depending on time, transfers, class etc. There are a few stations in London so you may find they leave from different stations sometimes, they are all connected by tube.

London - Loughborough for example is a direct train from St Pancras International.

If you do go to a uni where your will be regularly getting a train it will also be worth investing in a railcard.
(Avoid the trainline - it charges a booking fee that you won’t be charged if you book directly with a train company. They’re also not as good if you need to cancel or rearrange)
Reply 8
Original post by mah1000000
Sure what kind of overview do you need?

In the most basic sense you go onto the trainline app or website, select London as your start and then the uni town as the destination. It will show you tickets which will vary in prices depending on time, transfers, class etc. There are a few stations in London so you may find they leave from different stations sometimes, they are all connected by tube.

London - Loughborough for example is a direct train from St Pancras International.

If you do go to a uni where your will be regularly getting a train it will also be worth investing in a railcard.

ahh ok, so the app is called "trainline" and I can book from there? Is trainline the best out there?
ahh ok, so the app is called "trainline" and I can book from there? Is trainline the best out there?

https://m.nationalrail.co.uk/pj/pj Is better and cheaper than the trainline.
Reply 10
Original post by PQ
https://m.nationalrail.co.uk/pj/pj Is better and cheaper than the trainline.

Okkk I see! And If say I wanna go to norwich to see UEA, it brings me to the main city. How would I get to the university? Are there buses there? If so, how do I learn how that works and how to pay bc it would be much more different to london buses id imagine.
Okkk I see! And If say I wanna go to norwich to see UEA, it brings me to the main city. How would I get to the university? Are there buses there? If so, how do I learn how that works and how to pay bc it would be much more different to london buses id imagine.

On the university website with the open day info there’ll be details on how to get to the campus.

some universities run free buses from the station. Alternatively you can get a “plusbus” add on to lots of train tickets to give you unlimited bus travel in the destination city (usually a bit cheaper than paying on the day and less stressful)

Each uni will be different. It's worth having a look on google maps and comparing where the Uni is to the train station. Most places you will have to use local transport to get to the uni (like buses or trams).
Reply 13
Original post by PQ
On the university website with the open day info there’ll be details on how to get to the campus.

some universities run free buses from the station. Alternatively you can get a “plusbus” add on to lots of train tickets to give you unlimited bus travel in the destination city (usually a bit cheaper than paying on the day and less stressful)

thank you :smile: Never knew this!
thank you :smile: Never knew this!

Try Rail easy they are usually cheaper. Booking in advance is cheaper but you are tied to those trains and cannot get a refund if you cancel

Hi @Clivierx,

Great to hear you're interested in visiting Loughborough. Loughborough University is accessible by car, rail and air travel. Information on how to get to Loughborough can be found on our travel information page.

We do have information on our upcoming undergraduate open days here.

- Lindsay
(edited 7 months ago)

Also try National Express coaches. They can often be a lot cheaper than rail but timings aren't always as good. You can even do rail one way and coach the other:

https://www.nationalexpress.com/en

If you are going to be visiting a lot of unis by rail, then it will probably be worth investing in a railcard to get a third off fares:

https://www.railcard.co.uk/16-25/
hey, idk if this helps but LNER (which goes via Lboro I'm pretty sure) does 40% student discount which is more than a railcard. I'd get a railcard but check out uni days for LNER discounts too <3
Reply 18
Original post by normaw
Also try National Express coaches. They can often be a lot cheaper than rail but timings aren't always as good. You can even do rail one way and coach the other:

https://www.nationalexpress.com/en

If you are going to be visiting a lot of unis by rail, then it will probably be worth investing in a railcard to get a third off fares:

https://www.railcard.co.uk/16-25/

for national express do you book online and then you get a ticket and show it to the bus driver?
for national express do you book online and then you get a ticket and show it to the bus driver?

The FAQ page should answer your question:

https://faq.nationalexpress.com/s/?language=en_US

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending