The Student Room Group

Exeter Penryn, Lancaster, or Royal Holloway?

I feel like I've asked this question so many times but I'm really stressed and I don't know where to go to study law.
I have offers from Lancaster, UEA, Exeter (at the Penryn campus for LLB Law with Business), Strathclyde, and Royal Holloway.
I won't be going to Strathclyde, and I probably won't go to UEA as they have offered me AAB and I'm scared I won't get the right grades.
Exeter and Lancaster have offered me ABB, and Royal Holloway has offered me BBB. I'm predicted AAB but my English grade is looking more like I'll come out with a C.
I basically don't know where to go. I preferred the Lancaster campus but I still like both Penryn and Royal Holloway too.
Exeter is a Russel Group. It does not have a law clinic, and there are no professors at that campus (although I'm unsure what that means). Exeter is also law with business so is that lesser regarded as many people will say that it is? The Penryn campus has such a mixed opinion on the academic side (I know night life isn't great) and some people say how helpful the lecturers are etc but some people say it was a waste of time studying there. I did like that Exeter was more coursework than closed book exam.
Lancaster had a really nice library and was my favourite campus overall. But it seems too have no reputation for law. I absolutely loved the campus and facilities there but I'm just not sure on the law department.
Royal Holloway seems to have some sort of reputation but I don't know how well regarded it is. I also quite liked the location being near but not in London, and it is closer to home.

I don't want to limit myself or make things harder when I hopefully reach the stage of trying to secure a training contract/job. I know that where you go to university isn't everything but I know that it does help at times. I have also been struggling with imposter syndrome recently (I do A-Level law) and so I'm having a lot of self-doubt about studying law so I quite liked that Exeter Penryn was a smaller law school at about 150 students. My main concerns are just that there are a lot of mixed opinions of Exeter Penryn, and the whole thing with them having no professors (I still have no idea what this means), I am concerned about doing with Law with business, I am concerned about choosing Lancaster or Royal Holloway as they're not russel groups, and I'm just generally stressed and scared about getting the right grades (hence the fact that I haven't even considered UEA).

Any advice is appreciated, even if it doesn't directly relate to any of my universities. Thanks :smile:
Original post by myarv2
I feel like I've asked this question so many times but I'm really stressed and I don't know where to go to study law.
I have offers from Lancaster, UEA, Exeter (at the Penryn campus for LLB Law with Business), Strathclyde, and Royal Holloway.
I won't be going to Strathclyde, and I probably won't go to UEA as they have offered me AAB and I'm scared I won't get the right grades.
Exeter and Lancaster have offered me ABB, and Royal Holloway has offered me BBB. I'm predicted AAB but my English grade is looking more like I'll come out with a C.
I basically don't know where to go. I preferred the Lancaster campus but I still like both Penryn and Royal Holloway too.
Exeter is a Russel Group. It does not have a law clinic, and there are no professors at that campus (although I'm unsure what that means). Exeter is also law with business so is that lesser regarded as many people will say that it is? The Penryn campus has such a mixed opinion on the academic side (I know night life isn't great) and some people say how helpful the lecturers are etc but some people say it was a waste of time studying there. I did like that Exeter was more coursework than closed book exam.
Lancaster had a really nice library and was my favourite campus overall. But it seems too have no reputation for law. I absolutely loved the campus and facilities there but I'm just not sure on the law department.
Royal Holloway seems to have some sort of reputation but I don't know how well regarded it is. I also quite liked the location being near but not in London, and it is closer to home.
I don't want to limit myself or make things harder when I hopefully reach the stage of trying to secure a training contract/job. I know that where you go to university isn't everything but I know that it does help at times. I have also been struggling with imposter syndrome recently (I do A-Level law) and so I'm having a lot of self-doubt about studying law so I quite liked that Exeter Penryn was a smaller law school at about 150 students. My main concerns are just that there are a lot of mixed opinions of Exeter Penryn, and the whole thing with them having no professors (I still have no idea what this means), I am concerned about doing with Law with business, I am concerned about choosing Lancaster or Royal Holloway as they're not russel groups, and I'm just generally stressed and scared about getting the right grades (hence the fact that I haven't even considered UEA).
Any advice is appreciated, even if it doesn't directly relate to any of my universities. Thanks :smile:
Hi,

I'm a third-year chemistry student at Lancaster University so while I can't offer opinions on the other universities or the law course in itself, I can offer some general advice and information about Lancaster Uni.

Choosing the right university for your law studies can be a really daunting decision and it's for the best that you are really thoroughly considering your options.

First things first, while Lancaster isn't a part of Russel Group universities, it is well known for its' research. I have found that when networking, employers do not seem to discount candidates based on whether they have attended a Russel Group.

A more important factor to consider may be the course structure, including modules and coursework vs. exams balance. If you prefer coursework, Exeter might be a good fit. However, some modules at other unis may be graded by coursework as well so it might be worth reaching out to the unis to ask them if the info isn't available online. While Exeter doesn't have a law clinic like Lancaster, experience can always be gained through other avenues like internships.

The location of the uni is also an important factor. Royal Holloway's proximity to London may offer more opportunities for networking and legal placements. However, Lancaster's law clinic, internships for Lancaster students only and the picturesque campus provides opportunities and a lovely environment to work in. Personally, I like taking day-trips to the Lakes and to Manchester if I'm feeling the need for a change of pace.

Most courses at uni have optional modules that you can choose to tailor the course to suit your interests. However, the business component at Exeter may be helpful if you are interested in law at the intersection of law and business. However, you may want to research further into whether it would impact your career goals. For example, if you wanted to qualify as a solicitor or a barrister.

You may also want to research the employability statistics of each uni and post-graduation support offered by each uni. I know that Lancaster offers life-long careers advice to its' alumni which I am sure will come in useful at some point.

Ultimately, you should choose a uni that aligns with your preferences, values and long-term goals. It's not just about the university's reputation, it's about finding the right fit for you. Remember that success in the legal field is often influenced by things other than university name, such as networking and experience.

Good luck!
-Beth (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Original post by myarv2

Hi there,

We're delighted that you're interested in learning more about Law at Royal Holloway, University of London.
Our Department of Law and Criminology has a reputation for high quality research and teaching. Our LLB Law degree is for anyone looking to start a career in law, whether as a barrister or a solicitor, it is also for those who are interested in the legal system and the ways in which laws are made and upheld. You'll be equipped with a wide range of transferable skills which are highly sought after by employers in a wide variety of fields.

You can find out more about our LLB Law course here: https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/studying-here/undergraduate/law-and-criminology/law/ including the entry requirements and course content.

In terms of facilities, our campus is one of the most beautiful in the world with numerous teaching and study spaces, bars and cafés, high-quality accommodation, and sports facilities. Visit our campus and get a real feel for student life at one of our Open Days. You can find out more information on this page: https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/student-life/visit-royal-holloway/open-days/

Get answers to the questions that matter to you by chatting with our students and staff!
You can chat to a current Law student to find out what life is really like at Royal Holloway: www.royalholloway.ac.uk/chat and sign up for more information about us here: https://royalholloway.ac.uk/studying-here/sign-up-for-more-information/

I hope you find the above useful!

Best wishes,
Royal Holloway, University of London Rep
Hi I’m literally in the same situation I want to do law to but feel like I’m gonna get ABC with the C in English Lit. From what I’ve heard Lancaster is a really good uni even thought it’s not Russel group it is part of the Sutton 30. I’ve not personally heard about Exeter so I can’t saying anything about that but I’ve got an offer from royal Holloway and I applied for a placement so I might just put that as my Firm but I’m not sure. However I’ve heard some unis like royal Holloway and other that not Russel group or of higher ‘rank’ are willing to accept grade drops on results day so maybe keep that in mind. Idk know if this helps😅
Reply 4
Original post by annie7864
Hi I’m literally in the same situation I want to do law to but feel like I’m gonna get ABC with the C in English Lit. From what I’ve heard Lancaster is a really good uni even thought it’s not Russel group it is part of the Sutton 30. I’ve not personally heard about Exeter so I can’t saying anything about that but I’ve got an offer from royal Holloway and I applied for a placement so I might just put that as my Firm but I’m not sure. However I’ve heard some unis like royal Holloway and other that not Russel group or of higher ‘rank’ are willing to accept grade drops on results day so maybe keep that in mind. Idk know if this helps😅
Honestly I find English lit so difficult and I've been stuck on a C since I started! But yes, I feel so scared about my English result but I'm praying they let me in with a C. If I end up firming Royal Holloway I'll maybe see you there!
Original post by myarv2
Honestly I find English lit so difficult and I've been stuck on a C since I started! But yes, I feel so scared about my English result but I'm praying they let me in with a C. If I end up firming Royal Holloway I'll maybe see you there!

Same I’ve been consistent with my C 😭 also my tutor pulled up this page on ucas idk how but it showed the grades rhul has previously accepted from the minimum grade to maximum and most ppl got in with BBB-BCC and they even accepted CCC as their minimum
Original post by myarv2

Yess hopefully 🤞
Original post by myarv2
Hi Myarv2

It’s great to hear that you have an offer from The University of Exeter for our Law with Business course at our Penryn Campus in Cornwall. This is a fantastic collaboration with the University of Exeter Business School in Penryn to offer a course with career routes to enter the legal profession or consider avenues in Business and there is opportunity to undertake a placement year as part of this course which will provide the perfect chance to develop essential employability and transferrable skills.

If you have not been able to visit Penryn at our recent Offer Holder Visit Days then I would recommend that you do try to engage with some on the online activity for offer holders. There is subject specific sessions on 15th April and Student life sessions.

I’d also suggest reaching out to our Unibuddy students in our Ask a current student feature as you can find out directly about student life there.

There are many things to consider when making your firm and insurance choices for your offers and we know its not an easy decision when committing to your study for the next 3-4 years. Comparing courses academically is probably the easier part of the decision.

Unfortunately, I’m not a student at our Penryn campus but I have worked here alongside our amazing student ambassadors at our open days and they are all passionate and clearly enjoy their studies and student life there. What Penryn may not have in night life activity (although I am sure Falmouth town has a great student scene), I’m sure is more than made up with by access to some fantastic outdoor activities in our amazing Cornish landscape that is right on our doorstep. The smaller student body can also be considered an advantage and there is a close knit community of students. The Student Union webpages (https://www.thesu.org.uk/) are also a great place to check out what else you can get up to alongside studying here.

I hope that helps a little with your decision making
Chris
University of Exeter Student Recruitment Team
What is most important is the course and surroundings. You are going somewhere for 3 years and you need to be happy wherever you go. Personally in your circumstances I wouldnt go to Penryn. You clearly want to take a Law degree not one with business. RG is meaningless and is just a marketing body to try and push forward the interests of its members. In terms of university reputation all 3 are of broadly similar standing. Years ago all 3 were part of the now defunct 1994 group which rivalled and often out performed RG universities. Exeter left to join the RG. They had to pay to be part of it. Lancaster, RHUL, Bath, St Andrews and others didnt. Exeter is no better or worse for being a member of the RG and the others are no worse for not joining it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending