The Student Room Group

3-Variable Simultaneous Equations Question

Tried this old FP4 question but unsure how to solve part b? I couldn't see that any of the equations were multiples or parallel (such as in an inconsistent system)

Looked at the MS (below) and not sure where they derived 5b - 25 = 0 from? Feel like I'm probably forgetting something basic but not sure - is anyone able to help?

Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-05 um 11.43.22.png
Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-05 um 11.43.58.png
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
For 3 variables youve got to be a bit more systematic as it will be a combination of the equations. So the third plane will be parallel to a combination of the first two. What did you do for the part a)?

When you reduce it, you'll find, as per the mark scheme,
5b - 25 = 0
This will be inconsistent (no solution) for b != 5.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by mqb2766
For 3 variables youve got to be a bit more systematic as it will be a combination of the equations. So the third plane will be parallel to a combination of the first two. What did you do for the part a)?

5b - 25 = 0

Just to say that I don't see that you *have* to end up with the equation 5b-25 = 0; it will depend on how you solve it. (I got 3 = 8 - b, for example).
Reply 3
Original post by DFranklin
Just to say that I don't see that you *have* to end up with the equation 5b-25 = 0; it will depend on how you solve it. (I got 3 = 8 - b, for example).

sure, thats why I asked about how they did a).
Reply 4
Original post by mqb2766

5b - 25 = 0

Original post by DFranklin

For part a) I calculated the determinant of the 3x3 matrix as below?

Foto am 05-05-2021 um 12.03.jpg
Reply 5
Ok you could do an equivalent answer using row reduction methods on the augmented matrix (extra column corresponding to the (3,4,b) vector).

Or spot that with a=-3, the third row is a linear combination of the first two? Then apply the same linear combination to the right hand side (3,4,b)?

To get the linear combination a*row1 + b*row2 = row3
x: 2a + b = 2
y: -a + 2b = 1

Edit - as Dfranklin below notes, this can be used to answer both parts by considering the z coefficients (part a) and then the right hand side (part b).
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by beachpanda
For part a) I calculated the determinant of the 3x3 matrix as below?

To answer the 2nd part, you basically have to try to solve the equations when a = -3 and see what happens. (You'll find you can write the (LHS of the) 3rd equation as a combination of the first 2 and therefore the value of the RHS is forced to equal 5). (And so the equations are inconsistent unless b = 5).

The disadvantage of doing (a) using a determinant is that it doesn't help with part (b) at all. In a question like this, it's arguably "better" to effectively do parts (a) and (b) "simultaneously"; try to solve the equations, you'll end up realising that you "can't" solve them in a standard way for a particular value of a (which gives you your answer to (a)) and then continue to solve for that particular value of (a).

That said: in this case I don't think it's actually less work. [I'm used to when Cambridge used to set fairly standard Tripos/Entrance Exam questions that were similar but a little more involved and it was pretty uniformly the case that it wasn't a good idea to try to find the determinant].

Quick Reply

Latest