The Student Room Group
Reply 1
you multiply it all by t first?
Reply 2
I'm not sure what a probability function, but when I integrated it I got: -8/(7t^3)

You've got to be careful not to make it t^5 underneath. Where did the x come from?
Reply 3
f(t)= 24/7t^4
f(t)= (24/7)(t^-4)
to find the expectation, mulitply by t and then integrate
E(t)= Int [1,2] (24/7)(t^-3)
Reply 4
Gemini
I'm not sure what a probability function, but when I integrated it I got: -8/(7t^3)

You've got to be careful not to make it t^5 underneath. Where did the x come from?

when you are finding the expectation of a probability function via integration, you have to multiply the function by t before integrating it...
Reply 5
Ok ...I admit I know nothing about Stats :smile:

So why *do* you have to multiply it by t then?
Reply 6
why? je ne quite sais pas... but to make it more confusing, if you want to work out the variance, you multiply the original expression by t^2 and then do the integration...
Reply 7
El Stevo
f(t)= 24/7t^4
f(t)= (24/7)(t^-4)
to find the expectation, mulitply by t and then integrate
E(t)= Int [1,2] (24/7)(t^-3)

when i did that i got

Int[2,1] 24 ln (7t^3)

but when i do this i get the wrong answer what have i done wrong?
El Stevo
why? je ne quite sais pas... but to make it more confusing, if you want to work out the variance, you multiply the original expression by t^2 and then do the integration...

The mean is the probability multiplied by the number of values the random variable can assume. Its a denifition I think. Tho I admit my fallability now so if there are some proper maths geeks out there who can correct the physicst go ahead.
Reply 9
Gemini
Ok ...I admit I know nothing about Stats :smile:

So why *do* you have to multiply it by t then?

The definition of E(t) is the integral (assume its a continuous distribution) of t multiplied by the probability densitiy function. It's simply a definition.

Thus, if you were looking to find E(t^2) you integrate t^2 multiplied by the probability densitiy function.

In general, E_f(t)[x] = INT [x.f(t)].

Euclid.
Reply 10
so if i do

Int [2, 1] 24/7x^4

what should i get?
Reply 11
int(24/7 * x^-4)
=24/7(-1/3)x^-3
=-8/7x^3

between the limits that
-1/7 - (-8/7) = 1