The Student Room Group

Jagiellonian (Krakow), Warsaw or Poznań medical school?

I’ve just been accepted to Jagiellonian, Warsaw and Poznań for the 6 year medicine course but cannot decide which to confirm. Can’t fly and visit the cities but if any students or people who have spent some time over there, which is the best place to live?
I’ve lived in Oxford for 3 years so I’m guessing krakow has a similar small student city vibe but I fear it might be too quiet.

How far away are the Warsaw lecture venues from each other?

Cheers guys
Original post by RJ_23
I’ve just been accepted to Jagiellonian, Warsaw and Poznań for the 6 year medicine course but cannot decide which to confirm. Can’t fly and visit the cities but if any students or people who have spent some time over there, which is the best place to live?
I’ve lived in Oxford for 3 years so I’m guessing krakow has a similar small student city vibe but I fear it might be too quiet.

Cheers guys

I've been accepted to Jagiellonian and Warsaw too and tbh I've seen a lot of people complaining about the attitude of people in warsaw (apparently they aren't meant to be so nice). Jagiellonian is also ranked higher. I think I'm biased being kinda introverted but I'm sure there's still going to be a good few night outs no matter where you go. I've also applied to bolonga and vienna considering their ranking but I'm still leaning towards jag (I've been told hardly anyone gets accepted so to get in is a big deal)
Reply 2
Original post by RJ_23

Cheers guys

Hey
Even I have gotten accepted to Jagiellonian, Poznan and Gdansk for the 6 year MD course. I have talked to a few students from Poznan and they have given good review for the university. The students over there are very helpful and they even have clubs such as Badminton club which helps the new students to connect with others easily. The transportation system is also very efficient with the trams and buses. Well city wise, I haven't been there due to the covid but its a good city for students from what I have heard. Although I don't think so there will be much difference in the studies. Both Jagiellonian and Poznan helps their student for USMLE and they have a good support system. The professors in Poznan are also very helpful.
I can't say much for Jagiellonian, I haven't gotten much info about that uni nor Warsaw.
Good luck
Original post by Sarahx190
I've been accepted to Jagiellonian and Warsaw too and tbh I've seen a lot of people complaining about the attitude of people in warsaw (apparently they aren't meant to be so nice). Jagiellonian is also ranked higher. I think I'm biased being kinda introverted but I'm sure there's still going to be a good few night outs no matter where you go. I've also applied to bolonga and vienna considering their ranking but I'm still leaning towards jag (I've been told hardly anyone gets accepted so to get in is a big deal)

I think Im leaning towards Jag as well. According to some 2nd and 4th years students Ive been talking to, Krakow is big enough to have stuff to do but not distracting like warsaw. Its also cheaper in terms of rent and food (less than £150 per month on groceries). Plus, students make up 20% of the population and bc its so touristy, most local speak english unlike in Warsaw.

I think the Warsaw attitude is just typical of a capital city like London.
Original post by Aru25
Hey
Even I have gotten accepted to Jagiellonian, Poznan and Gdansk for the 6 year MD course. I have talked to a few students from Poznan and they have given good review for the university. The students over there are very helpful and they even have clubs such as Badminton club which helps the new students to connect with others easily. The transportation system is also very efficient with the trams and buses. Well city wise, I haven't been there due to the covid but its a good city for students from what I have heard. Although I don't think so there will be much difference in the studies. Both Jagiellonian and Poznan helps their student for USMLE and they have a good support system. The professors in Poznan are also very helpful.
I can't say much for Jagiellonian, I haven't gotten much info about that uni nor Warsaw.
Good luck

I just wish Warsaw and Jag had the same social media presence as Poznan. Students seem to be quite happy at poznan though. The negatives they had were basically what you'd expect at many universities (lectures rescheduled on short notice. Had this at a UK uni as well).
It seems Poznan leans towards a more modern style of teaching, like PBL based whereas the Jag and Warsaw are more oxbridge style combined with PBL and seminars.
Also I think I read somewhere that Jag and Warsaw switch between #1 and #2 ranks but the medical school of Warsaw isn't scored? I'll try and find the website
hey guys!
I just want to pop in and say a few things as I'm from and currently living in Poznań.
So city-wise, I'd say Poznań is a really nice place to live in, it is cheaper than Warsaw definitely in terms of rent and stuff like that, it has a lot of activities to do, plenty of night clubs, bars etc. and I would also say it's a pretty safe city - you can rarely hear about someone being mugged or something, ofc depends on the districts you visit hahah. I have been to Warsaw a few times and Kraków once and if I were to choose a city to go to uni in, I'd choose Warsaw, but I think it might be partially because I wouldn't like to stay in my home city (and the reason why I'm planning on going abroad haha). I'd say all of these cities are big and there is no much difference in terms of noise and it's generally noisy in all of those in the city centre, but you can easily find a flat for rent in some districts a bit outside of the city centre which still have great public transport to go to the rest of the city or what's also popular you can find a place inside a closed area (no idea what's it called even in Polish haha), but my parents have a flat in such a 'closed area' next to one of the busiest streets and you can barely hear anything from outside due to many walls between you and the actual street.
Regarding med schools, unfortunately I can't help too much, but in general it is said that Warsaw is the best out of all (regardless of what the rankings say, because they depend on many different things), but if you take into account the whole university, then Jagiellonian is the best probably, it has the most traditions and is very well-respected. But tbh I would make the decision more based on the other factors because these are all really good universities.
And lastly, regarding English, I'd say in all of these cities, English is commonly spoken, at least when taking into account people younger than say 35 (and these are often people working in cafes, restaurants etc.), so I wouldn't worry about it at all.

If you have any more questions, I'd be more than happy to answer them! :smile:
Original post by VanillaCream
hey guys!
I just want to pop in and say a few things as I'm from and currently living in Poznań.
So city-wise, I'd say Poznań is a really nice place to live in, it is cheaper than Warsaw definitely in terms of rent and stuff like that, it has a lot of activities to do, plenty of night clubs, bars etc. and I would also say it's a pretty safe city - you can rarely hear about someone being mugged or something, ofc depends on the districts you visit hahah. I have been to Warsaw a few times and Kraków once and if I were to choose a city to go to uni in, I'd choose Warsaw, but I think it might be partially because I wouldn't like to stay in my home city (and the reason why I'm planning on going abroad haha). I'd say all of these cities are big and there is no much difference in terms of noise and it's generally noisy in all of those in the city centre, but you can easily find a flat for rent in some districts a bit outside of the city centre which still have great public transport to go to the rest of the city or what's also popular you can find a place inside a closed area (no idea what's it called even in Polish haha), but my parents have a flat in such a 'closed area' next to one of the busiest streets and you can barely hear anything from outside due to many walls between you and the actual street.
Regarding med schools, unfortunately I can't help too much, but in general it is said that Warsaw is the best out of all (regardless of what the rankings say, because they depend on many different things), but if you take into account the whole university, then Jagiellonian is the best probably, it has the most traditions and is very well-respected. But tbh I would make the decision more based on the other factors because these are all really good universities.
And lastly, regarding English, I'd say in all of these cities, English is commonly spoken, at least when taking into account people younger than say 35 (and these are often people working in cafes, restaurants etc.), so I wouldn't worry about it at all.

If you have any more questions, I'd be more than happy to answer them! :smile:

Hi!

I ended up with Krakow. It was such a close call between warsaw and Krakow. The teaching is comparable so it was really just down to expenses.
The apartments were slightly cheaper in Krakow and everything seems to be walking distance even though it looks far away on the map.

Warsaw has more stuff to do like restaurants etc but I think I'd be overwhelmed with the size of the city
Original post by needle_point
Hi!

I ended up with Krakow. It was such a close call between warsaw and Krakow. The teaching is comparable so it was really just down to expenses.
The apartments were slightly cheaper in Krakow and everything seems to be walking distance even though it looks far away on the map.

Warsaw has more stuff to do like restaurants etc but I think I'd be overwhelmed with the size of the city

oh okay, seems like a good choice for you then, good luck! :smile:
Original post by needle_point
Hi!

Hi! Im interested in applying to Jagiellonian but they won’t accept my predicted grades because the real grades come out after the deadline for application… Were you an A-level student? How did you apply? I would really appreciate the help thanks!!
Original post by Triplescimath
Hi! Im interested in applying to Jagiellonian but they won’t accept my predicted grades because the real grades come out after the deadline for application… Were you an A-level student? How did you apply? I would really appreciate the help thanks!!

hello there, i wanted to apply to jagiellonian too; what did the uni say regarding your situation cause im in a similar situation too.
thanks.
Original post by RJ_23

Cheers guys

Did you have to sit for both interviews and entrance examinations? how were they?
Original post by _nydal._
hello there, i wanted to apply to jagiellonian too; what did the uni say regarding your situation cause im in a similar situation too.
thanks.

Persons eligible for admission to the studies require to hold Biology or Physics and Chemistry courses completed during secondary and/or supplementary education and confirmed by a certificate including grade, or by an entry in diploma of secondary education, who will sit for the entrance examination conducted in English. Completed A-levels are required to enroll into the program. As levels or IGCSE are not sufficient to meet the requirement.

Predicted grades can be used to register for the entrance exam session but not to enroll into the program. When applying with predicted grades, a statement showing your graduation date and the date of your high school diploma/secondary school leaving certificate must be provided. The document is to be signed by a respective school authority (ex. headteacher, school counsellor). If admitted to the program, a candidate must provide the A-levels certificate by the end of the enrollment round (July 22, 2022). Failure to submit a high school diploma/secondary school leaving certificate (the A-levels certificate) within the appointed deadline for enrollment procedure will render an application incomplete and prohibit it from further processing.

Considering the application timeline, it is strongly recommended to wait until the A-levels certificate is released and apply to the program only then, for the academic year 2023-2024.

hello there,
did you choose to go with jag?
Original post by Anonymous
hello there,
did you choose to go with jag?

Yep, dm me for any details.
Reply 16
Persons eligible for admission to the studies require to hold Biology or Physics and Chemistry courses completed during secondary and/or supplementary education and confirmed by a certificate including grade, or by an entry in diploma of secondary education, who will sit for the entrance examination conducted in English. Completed A-levels are required to enroll into the program. As levels or IGCSE are not sufficient to meet the requirement.

Predicted grades can be used to register for the entrance exam session but not to enroll into the program. When applying with predicted grades, a statement showing your graduation date and the date of your high school diploma/secondary school leaving certificate must be provided. The document is to be signed by a respective school authority (ex. headteacher, school counsellor). If admitted to the program, a candidate must provide the A-levels certificate by the end of the enrollment round (July 22, 2022). Failure to submit a high school diploma/secondary school leaving certificate (the A-levels certificate) within the appointed deadline for enrollment procedure will render an application incomplete and prohibit it from further processing.

Considering the application timeline, it is strongly recommended to wait until the A-levels certificate is released and apply to the program only then, for the academic year 2023-2024.

Hi; I intend to candidate for Jag for 2024/2025. Things might have changed in the enrollment process, I copy the Admission Criteria chapter:
Reply 17

Hi; I intend to candidate for Jag for 2024/2025. Things might have changed in the enrollment process, I copy the Admission Criteria chapter: "Admissions to the program are based solely on the entrance examination results". Provided you fulfill the requirements below (but no mention of completed A-levels)

a high school-leaving examination certificate or diploma of secondary education, which entitles its holder to be considered for admission to higher education in the state it was obtained in,

Biology or Physics and Chemistry courses completed during secondary and/or supplementary education and confirmed by a certificate including grade, or by an entry in diploma of secondary education, who will sit for an entrance examination conducted in English.

Reply 18
im also conflicted between jag and poznan university idk which is better honestly like i like krakow more but in terms of info about the life there and the university i dont really know ,i have heard good things about the uni in poznan , i would love to hear how life is in krakow and how the university is!
Yep, dm me for any details.

Can I DM you ? I also want to get information about a lot of stuff.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending