The Student Room Group

Medical Universities in Poland

Hi I am planning to apply to medical universities in Poland if someone is currently studying there or have already studied there or maybe even if you too are planning to apply there; then:
(1.) What are medical schools in Poland like?
(2.) Would you recommend any university and why?
(3.) Just anything you would like to tell someone applying to medical schools in Poland?

Thank you

Scroll to see replies

Heyy! So I come from Poland. Basically medicine studies are extremely hard and time consuming here, but I assume that it’s a good thing if you wanna be good at your job. The courses are free, life in Poland overall is quite cheap and you still get the Western European quality of life which is a plus. I don’t know about international students but the courses are very competitive and hard to get into (my friend who’s high school diploma was around 80% and I’d say that Polish exams are much more difficult than A levels, did not get into all 8 unis she was applying for). Warsaw is the most competitive. Buut I don’t mean to scare you, check the requirements and have a go. Many people study medicine in Poland as the teaching quality is really high and it’s free, then people tend to move to the West for work, where they are paid a lot more (which Polish gov is understandably angry about and there’s deficit with doctors here) :wink:
Reply 2
Original post by Askeladd01
Hi I am planning to apply to medical universities in Poland if someone is currently studying there or have already studied there or maybe even if you too are planning to apply there; then:
(1.) What are medical schools in Poland like?
(2.) Would you recommend any university and why?
(3.) Just anything you would like to tell someone applying to medical schools in Poland?

Thank you

Hey!

So, I'm looking to apply if things don't go well for me in the UK, in terms of getting a place at a UK medical school. I was advised to look into med school programmes in Poland by a friend who's a doctor working in the NHS here and studied in Poland. I've been looking at Medical University of Silesia and PUMS, both are good but I like Medical University of Silesia because I know that grads from there have had no issue working in the UK.
Original post by s2med
Hey!

So, I'm looking to apply if things don't go well for me in the UK, in terms of getting a place at a UK medical school. I was advised to look into med school programmes in Poland by a friend who's a doctor working in the NHS here and studied in Poland. I've been looking at Medical University of Silesia and PUMS, both are good but I like Medical University of Silesia because I know that grads from there have had no issue working in the UK.

Nice! If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Generally I would consider Warsaw, Gdansk and Wroclaw as top of the top academic wise and the cities are all amazing. Especially Gdansk, it’s located by the sea and has a lovely old town and overall a great atmosphere. Silesia would be a good choice but I personally don’t know the city of Katowice very well.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
Heyy! So I come from Poland. Basically medicine studies are extremely hard and time consuming here, but I assume that it’s a good thing if you wanna be good at your job. The courses are free, life in Poland overall is quite cheap and you still get the Western European quality of life which is a plus. I don’t know about international students but the courses are very competitive and hard to get into (my friend who’s high school diploma was around 80% and I’d say that Polish exams are much more difficult than A levels, did not get into all 8 unis she was applying for). Warsaw is the most competitive. Buut I don’t mean to scare you, check the requirements and have a go. Many people study medicine in Poland as the teaching quality is really high and it’s free, then people tend to move to the West for work, where they are paid a lot more (which Polish gov is understandably angry about and there’s deficit with doctors here) :wink:

Hi, Thanks for your answer buddy! I am thinking of applying to PUMS for now:smile: and maybe after that, I might also apply to one or two more universities in Poland.
Btw I have a question and I am not at all trying to be offensive but I heard that Polish people are very racist through brown and black people is it true; I know racism is all around the world but there are some certain people who keep on bringing up the fact that Poland is racist. Again I am not trying to say anything rude or bad but it's just one of my concerns.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by s2med
Hey!

Hi there buddy, good to know that you also have some backup plans like me I am also thinking of applying to PUMS. I was also planning to apply to the Medical University of Silesia but I don't know why I am not certain of it. But tbh PUMS is one of the best according to my research especially if you are thinking of going to the states. Although it is also safe to say that all medical universities in Poland have good standards of education :smile: (just my viewpoint).
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 6
Hi there buddy, good to know that you also have some backup plans like me I am also thinking of applying to PUMS. I was also planning to apply to the Medical University of Silesia but I don't know why I am not certain of it. But tbh PUMS is one of the best according to my research especially if you are thinking of going to the states. Although it is also safe to say that all medical universities in Poland have good standards of education :smile: (just my viewpoint).

Yeah they're both good unis! PUMS definitely seems more up-to-date and modern, based on their website and some conversations I've had but I've also heard good things about Medical University of Silesia from someone who went there and is now working in the NHS. So, I'm going to apply to both. PUMS does seem to have more experience with people going to the US though
Hi, Thanks for your answer buddy! I am thinking of applying to PUMS for now:smile: and maybe after that, I might also apply to one or two more universities in Poland.
Btw I have a question and I am not at all trying to be offensive but I heard that Polish people are very racist through brown and black people is it true; I know racism is all around the world but there are some certain people who keep on bringing up the fact that Poland is racist. Again I am not trying to say anything rude or bad but it's just one of my concerns.

No worries, I know where your concerns might come from. Since 2015 Poland has been ruled by a right wing party known for conservative, homophobic and racial behaviours. However, only a bit over half of the citizens actually support them, the rural part of Poland, because they get social benefits. The other half is furious at the government, mostly people who live in big cities (Poznan being one of them), the wealthier and better educated part. From what I’ve noticed they are now trying to be extremely welcoming to foreigners and LGBTQ people (especially the youth) to make up for the bad reputation the government contributes to. I can assure you that I have never encountered racism, even though I am half Indian and I live in Warsaw. Neither has my dad who is fully Indian and lived here for 20+ years. You can see that diversity is rare but it is welcomed. In the US or UK it is normal to see people of different ethnicities and racism is still there, but it’s kind of hidden. People won’t ask you where you’re from, but the racism might appear on a job interview for instance. In Poland, people will most probably ask you about your ethnicity, family, home country (just out of curiosity because it is new and fresh here), however they won’t act differently towards you once getting to know you. However, there still are some cases of intolerant behaviours but unfortunately it’s like that all over the world. I personally wouldn’t worry about it too much :smile: Overall it is a very safe country.
(sorry for such a long message, just wanted to clear out the situation a bit x)
Insights on University of silesia of Poland for graduate medicine please ?
- How is the teaching there ?
- Is anatomy taught using cadavers ?
- When are clinical skills taught ?
- Your overall experience in the uni so far, academically and otherwise ?

Thank you in advance! :smile:
Reply 9

I'm a Pakistani as brown as they come and I've never had an issue with racism or Polish people in general in all the years I lived in Lodz. If anything it's quite the opposite, Polish people are genuinely some of the kindest and nicest people I've ever met. I've experienced more racism from British people than Polish.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by apna_sapna
Insights on University of silesia of Poland for graduate medicine please ?
- How is the teaching there ?
- Is anatomy taught using cadavers ?
- When are clinical skills taught ?
- Your overall experience in the uni so far, academically and otherwise ?

Thank you in advance! :smile:

Hi! I’m afraid I won’t be able to help you out because I did not go to the University of Silesia. I do live in Poland though and I am quite familiar with Polish educational system. Basically, medical universities are quite hard to get into, there’s a lot of workload and practical work but they will prepare you very well for your future job as a doctor. If you want to google opinions you could google „Uniwersytet Śląski wydział medycyny opinie” and you will receive a lot of information that you can easily translate into english using website translation option :smile:
Reply 11
Which would be the best out of Jagiellonian, Warsaw and PUMS?
Original post by RJ_23
Which would be the best out of Jagiellonian, Warsaw and PUMS?

Polish universities located in big cities are basically equivalent when it comes to teaching so the ranking won’t really matter. I would personally say Warsaw, Jagiellonian, PUMS. I might be biased because I live in Warsaw and I’ve seen so many people struggling to get into WUM. It’s also the capital city so might be most recognized internationally but Jagiellonian is extremely good too and exceeds WUM in some rankings
Original post by s2med
Hey!

So, I'm looking to apply if things don't go well for me in the UK, in terms of getting a place at a UK medical school. I was advised to look into med school programmes in Poland by a friend who's a doctor working in the NHS here and studied in Poland. I've been looking at Medical University of Silesia and PUMS, both are good but I like Medical University of Silesia because I know that grads from there have had no issue working in th

I have been to the medical university of silesia and I can tell you that it isn't as good as they told you. Look in to the University of Nicosia rather
Original post by Vaporprodigy
I have been to the medical university of silesia and I can tell you that it isn't as good as they told you. Look in to the University of Nicosia rather

Hey @Vaporprodigy, how come ? Please share your experience, it will help in making a decision as I'm considering going there too.. Thankyou in advance :smile:
Original post by apna_sapna
Hey @Vaporprodigy, how come ? Please share your experience, it will help in making a decision as I'm considering going there too.. Thankyou in advance :smile:

Hey so I was thinking of going to Poland to study but I did not like the environment there. I had applied to medical university of silesia and was thinking of applying to lodz as well. I had to go for interview but I immediately did not like Poland. The people were also racist. There were many factors why I made this decision. If i were you I would go to university of Nicosia. That is your best bet. I am happy to give you more details privately if u want
Hey so I was thinking of going to Poland to study but I did not like the environment there. I had applied to medical university of silesia and was thinking of applying to lodz as well. I had to go for interview but I immediately did not like Poland. The people were also racist. There were many factors why I made this decision. If i were you I would go to university of Nicosia. That is your best bet. I am happy to give you more details privately if u want

Hi, instead of privately, could you explain what happened to you that made you feel like the people were racist?
Original post by ReversingRemnant
Hi, instead of privately, could you explain what happened to you that made you feel like the people were racist?

As a person of color I wouild get stares everywhere. In the mall I felt like I was going to get attacked. If I entered a shop the shop owners would watch me closely I don't know why. If I was in group girls would not even shake my hands or hug me despite hugging everyome else. I have been to few European countries and this was by far the worst. Also the dormitories were beyond disappointing. It was very bad. The weather was also bad. I had people from the UK tell me that this weather was very bad compared to theres. People looked depressed over there.
As a person of color I wouild get stares everywhere. In the mall I felt like I was going to get attacked. If I entered a shop the shop owners would watch me closely I don't know why. If I was in group girls would not even shake my hands or hug me despite hugging everyome else. I have been to few European countries and this was by far the worst. Also the dormitories were beyond disappointing. It was very bad. The weather was also bad. I had people from the UK tell me that this weather was very bad compared to theres. People looked depressed over there.

I think you could interpret it differently. My dad is Indian so I don’t look Polish at all but was born there and lived in Poland all my life. Yea you can get the stares sometimes but it’s not that people are racist. It’s just that there aren’t many internationals living in Poland and it’s just sth new to see a person of color (although not really now, you can see loads of foreigners in city centres of big cities). Whenever I tell someone where my dad comes from they are like „ohh that’s so interesting, I wish I could have your skin color”. I am now studying in the UK and I feel like people are used to the fact that so many foreigners live here that they automatically put me in the brown box (if you know what I mean). In Poland I feel rather unique being mixed. I agree with dormitories, they are awful but they are also super cheap so if you want a decent modern apartment in the city centre you could rent it for a price of a small bedroom with a shared bathroom in the UK. And omg you’re so wrong about the weather! It’s so much better than the UK!! Winters can be cold but it’s nice since it snows, summers are HOT and sunny, 25-35 degrees it’s now 20 degrees in Warsaw and I came back to the UK yesterday and it’s 9 degrees and raining. I don’t mean to be rude or anything but just don’t make assumptions based on one visit that you didn’t like
Original post by Anonymous
I think you could interpret it differently. My dad is Indian so I don’t look Polish at all but was born there and lived in Poland all my life. Yea you can get the stares sometimes but it’s not that people are racist. It’s just that there aren’t many internationals living in Poland and it’s just sth new to see a person of color (although not really now, you can see loads of foreigners in city centres of big cities). Whenever I tell someone where my dad comes from they are like „ohh that’s so interesting, I wish I could have your skin color”. I am now studying in the UK and I feel like people are used to the fact that so many foreigners live here that they automatically put me in the brown box (if you know what I mean). In Poland I feel rather unique being mixed. I agree with dormitories, they are awful but they are also super cheap so if you want a decent modern apartment in the city centre you could rent it for a price of a small bedroom with a shared bathroom in the UK. And omg you’re so wrong about the weather! It’s so much better than the UK!! Winters can be cold but it’s nice since it snows, summers are HOT and sunny, 25-35 degrees it’s now 20 degrees in Warsaw and I came back to the UK yesterday and it’s 9 degrees and raining. I don’t mean to be rude or anything but just don’t make assumptions based on one visit that you didn’t like

It wasn't just me or anything. A couple of my friend tried getting in to medical university of silesia. In fact I had even been accepted in to the university itself. I just felt that the polish people weren't too welcoming there. Even if u look at the statistics there are lile 1% of the population is diverse whereas the the rest of 99% are white nationalists. Poland is known to be anti Islamic. I was even searched multiple times at airports and sometimes just because I was brown. Having been to a few other European countries I can tell u now. That Poland felt a bit depressing to me

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending