The Student Room Group

Summer city break

Considering going abroad again went and visited Amsterdam in January this year any cities worth visiting for a 4/5 day stay suggestions based on sightseeing, cultural information, food spots, tourism and attractions.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I would recommend an affordable city in Spain, good sightseeing, including Muslim history, lots of halal food and lovely scenery and beaches. Only con would the heat and crowds in Summer.
Original post by Amb/conf
I would recommend an affordable city in Spain, good sightseeing, including Muslim history, lots of halal food and lovely scenery and beaches. Only con would the heat and crowds in Summer.

Salaam Eid Mubarak don’t know if you received my post thank you for the wonderful suggestion which city though.
Original post by Mohammed_80
Considering going abroad again went and visited Amsterdam in January this year any cities worth visiting for a 4/5 day stay suggestions based on sightseeing, cultural information, food spots, tourism and attractions.

Prague
Barcelona

I try a trip to vienna this summer for exactly these reasons. And I don't think that I get dissappointed. Maybe to try the Austrian capital too.
Original post by Kallisto
I try a trip to vienna this summer for exactly these reasons. And I don't think that I get dissappointed. Maybe to try the Austrian capital too.

What’s it like during the summer man temperature wise, what’s available in terms of tourism and historical cultural monuments. And what’s the food like.
What’s it like during the summer man temperature wise, what’s available in terms of tourism and historical cultural monuments. And what’s the food like.

After all what I got Vienna is known for an own culture of cafes (a lot are all the city around), for baroque buildings and a lot of museums. You can even make a sightseeing tour in a carriage!
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by Kallisto
After all what I got Vienna is known for an own culture of cafes (a lot are all the city around), for baroque buildings and a lot of museums. You can even make a sigheseeing tour in a carriage!

It’s tough to choose I don’t even know if Budapest is worth going to
(edited 9 months ago)
It’s tough to choose I don’t even know if Budapest is worth going to

Can't tell you anything about that city. People who I know and have been there were delighted. According to the money you can spend, the best might be to do a danube cruise through Vienna and Budapest.
Reply 9

Italy my best country so far

Absolutely recommend Vienna- my favourite european city so far and they have great swimming opportunities

Budapest is another great choice. I went for 4 days. There are plenty of free walking tours (you pay what you think its worth). Naturally heated baths and a lot of history! Also excellent food and nightlife
If you’re looking for a great city break I would recommend from my experience:
- For sight-seeing/history: Berlin or Vienna
- Beautiful scenery: Prague or Lake Bled (not a city but a very amazing place to visit!)
- Night-life: Budapest or Krakow
- Relaxing: South of France (Marseille, Cannes, Nice etc.)
I have been to all of these in the summer and all can get very hot (high 20s to mid 30s from July-September!). Where you go just depends on what you want to get up to!
Original post by GiaRoseDuthie
If you’re looking for a great city break I would recommend from my experience:
- For sight-seeing/history: Berlin or Vienna
- Beautiful scenery: Prague or Lake Bled (not a city but a very amazing place to visit!)
- Night-life: Budapest or Krakow
- Relaxing: South of France (Marseille, Cannes, Nice etc.)
I have been to all of these in the summer and all can get very hot (high 20s to mid 30s from July-September!). Where you go just depends on what you want to get up to!

Is Krakow safe
Is Krakow safe

I went with another female traveller just the two of us, and we felt pretty safe! We went in the summer so it’s very ‘touristy’ (especially in the centre of town) which made us feel pretty safe as there was lots of people around even in the evenings/nights.
Original post by GiaRoseDuthie
I went with another female traveller just the two of us, and we felt pretty safe! We went in the summer so it’s very ‘touristy’ (especially in the centre of town) which made us feel pretty safe as there was lots of people around even in the evenings/nights.

Would you say it’s wise to go Individually I always wanted to visit Poland during Christmas
I personally would say it would be a great solo trip! There’s plenty to do to keep you busy and a lot of accommodation options!
If you’re worried about going solo I’d always recommend checking gov travel advice for the country (https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice?utm_medium=sba&utm_source=general&utm_campaign=fcdotraveladvice&utm_content=sba12). You can even sign up for email alerts which will let you know anytime travel advice for that country changes, whether related to severe weather issues, safety concerns etc and also gives advice on visiting the area! Honestly been a lifesaver for me in the past.
Would you say it’s wise to go Individually I always wanted to visit Poland during Christmas

Personally I think it would be a great solo trip! There’s plenty to get up to and lots of accommodation options. If you’re worried about safety while travelling alone, one of the best things I can recommend is checking out the UK gov foreign travel advice page and signing up to email alerts for the country you’re visiting. Here’s the link if you’re interested!
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice?utm_medium=sba&utm_source=general&utm_campaign=fcdotraveladvice&utm_content=sba12
It basically gives you the most up to date advice for travel to that country (relating to safety, tips, entry requirements etc) and any time anything is changed or updated, they can email you to let you know. Has honestly been a lifesaver for me before and really helps give you peace of mind when travelling to a new place! :smile:
Reply 17
You should go to Tokyo, Japan for 4-5 days. Tokyo has cool things to see like Tokyo Tower and Meiji Shrine. You can do cultural stuff like tea ceremonies and watch Sumo wrestling. And the food is yummy, with sushi, ramen, and tasty street food at Tsukiji Fish Market. Have a great trip!

Mecca
Original post by Orla9099
You should go to Tokyo, Japan for 4-5 days. Tokyo has cool things to see like Tokyo Tower and Meiji Shrine. You can do cultural stuff like tea ceremonies and watch Sumo wrestling. And the food is yummy, with sushi, ramen, and tasty street food at Tsukiji Fish Market. Have a great trip!

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest