The Student Room Group

Emotional disconnect, heart palpitations, running away from fear

I don't know how to tolerate stress, I have extreme reactions to stress (most likely explained by traumatic experience/s), and now I am emotioanlly disconnected. It's boring. I have a huge exam soon. I know rationally I feel terrified, but I don't sense it conciously. It's like a wave of water that has a thick blanket over it that's stopping me from touching it and feeling it. But I can feel the toll it's taking on my body. My heart doesn't beat fast, but it pounds heavily. I feel dizzy for a moment at times. Though uncommon, I've been hallucinating at times. My body is tense 24/7. I can't access a counsillor, and don't ask, it's due to my situation.I don't know who else to reach out to.
Reply 1
Also, as I can't seem to edit my post, I've missed some symptoms. They include stomach aches, nausea (nearly every day now), a sense of "uncomfortableness" living in my body. Also, today, I was doing something and realised I was holding my breath. While I was doing so my heart was pounding heavily. Every time my heart beat, I felt my eyes shift very slightly, and my visio shifted very slightly too. Like a subtle shake of vision, every time my heart pound. When I stopped holding my breath it went back to normal. Don't know what that was about.
Reply 2
Helllo hello. commenting to see if anyone sees this thread, or if it got lost in the sea of other threads a long time ago.
hello hello to you too
try online anonymous resources like the calm zone thing
physical symptoms are concerning - contact your GP just to make sure they arent serious
Reply 4
Original post by Asha_m
hello hello to you too
try online anonymous resources like the calm zone thing
physical symptoms are concerning - contact your GP just to make sure they arent serious

thank you, I will
Reply 5
This is a year ago but I was wondering how you are handling the problem now and if you found out what it is? I'm struggling with the same thing now

Quick Reply

Latest