The Student Room Group

French irp topic ideas

So I just started Year 13 and need to decide on a French irp question hopefully by the end of this week. I was originally going to do it on French desserts but was told it was too narrow, then decided to change to French cuisine in general and was told it was too broad...

Now I've scrapped both of those ideas and have no clue what topic to do next.

I'm interested in language, food, music, fashion etc. so more cultural topics than historical or political aspects

Please give me some ideas :smile:
this booklet i found online was really helpful, i think there is an example question specifically on food !
https://www.dsfc.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/IRP-Booklet-PDF.pdf
Original post by yutaiscuter
So I just started Year 13 and need to decide on a French irp question hopefully by the end of this week. I was originally going to do it on French desserts but was told it was too narrow, then decided to change to French cuisine in general and was told it was too broad...

Now I've scrapped both of those ideas and have no clue what topic to do next.

I'm interested in language, food, music, fashion etc. so more cultural topics than historical or political aspects

Please give me some ideas :smile:

A good IRP title will lead to the discussion of something that might be controversial; or you might wish to tackle a well-worn topic from a new angle.

For example: for food:

- influence of colonialism on French cuisine (couscous comes to mind, but there are plenty of other dishes that originate from Africa or from Indochina).
- how the French are coping with the obesity epidemic (advertising, taxes, education...) and if it works - and why (or why not).
- a very recent development: the rise of environmentally sustainable restaurants

For fashion:

- The development of sustainable fashion in France in recent years.
- The rise of second-hand clothes shops in France (this is actually a recent phenomenon here, contrary to the UK)
- More controversial: is the hegemony of the 14 Haute Couture labels holding back creativity in fashion? Or does it encourage creativity?

For music:

- Examine the reasons for the success - also with young audiences - of popular singers aged over 60 (and there are plenty!)
- The influence of African music in France.

If you'll forgive the pun, I hope this gives you food for thought!
(edited 2 years ago)
Some ideas
Fashion in France
Clothing industry in France
Influence of foreign music in France
Food served in France
Variations in French from area to area
Culture in France etc
Reply 4
Original post by Anna Schoon
A good IRP title will lead to the discussion of something that might be controversial; or you might wish to tackle a well-worn topic from a new angle.

- influence of colonialism on French cuisine (couscous comes to mind, but there are plenty of other dishes that originate from Africa or from Indochina).
- how the French are coping with the obesity epidemic (advertising, taxes, education...) and if it works - and why (or why not).
- a very recent development: the rise of environmentally sustainable restaurants

For fashion:

- The rise of second-hand clothes shops in France (this is actually a recent phenomenon here, contrary to the UK)
- More controversial: is the hegemony of the 14 Haute Couture labels holding back creativity in fashion? Or does it encourage creativity?

For music:

- Examine the reasons for the success - also with young audiences - of popular singers aged over 60 (and there are plenty!)

Thank you, I decided to change my IRP topic completely so I'll be doing The Franco - Russian war and its influences on Eastern Europe. I never thought I'd end up doing history but this aspect interests me :smile:
Original post by Anna Schoon

For fashion:

For music:

This was really helpful for me, I'm currently doing research for my IRP and stressing out about Titles. Thanks so much
Reply 6
Hi, I just finished year 12, and I'm currently starting my IRP for next year. My topic ideas are based on medicine in like a francophone country in Africa. Would you guys have any topic ideas.Thanks
Hi. I'm thinking of doing fashion sustainability in France. Does anyone have any topic questions/points/sources which would be good for this? I'm interested in the topic generally but finding it hard to find anything on France itself.
Thanks!
Why don't you pick a famous French musician (like Edith Piaf), or fashion designer, or chef... Then make it about their life so you could name the IRP 'Who was ____?'. Edith Piaf had a pretty sad and interesting life, and I'm sure you'd be able to have a lot to say.
Original post by yutaiscuter
Thank you, I decided to change my IRP topic completely so I'll be doing The Franco - Russian war and its influences on Eastern Europe. I never thought I'd end up doing history but this aspect interests me :smile:

Hi this sounds very interesting what did u include in it I’d love to know what u focused on and mentioned

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending