The Student Room Group

Professor says career ‘effectively ended’ by union’s transphobia claims

https://amp.theguardian.com/education/2021/oct/12/professor-says-career-effectively-ended-by-unions-transphobia-claims

Part of the article from the Guardian given above

Kathleen Stock, a philosophy professor targeted by activists for her views on gender identification, has said she fears her career at Sussex University has been “effectively ended” by a union’s call for an investigation into transphobia.

Stock has said she believes gender identity is not more important than biological sex, “particularly when it comes to law and policy,” and that people cannot change their biological sex.

Stock said she had been advised by the police to install CCTV at her home and to stay away from Sussex’s campus: “I do not know if this will push me out of academia. I do not want to leave,” she told the Sunday Times.

After last week’s protest, Adam Tickell, Sussex’s vice-chancellor, gave public support to Stock, saying: “We cannot and will not tolerate threats to cherished academic freedoms and will take any action necessary to protect the rights of our community.”

University defends ‘academic freedoms’ after calls to sack professor
But the Sussex UCU statement, signed by the branch’s executive, said the university’s leaders had failed to “uphold the institution’s stated values by ensuring that the dignity and respect of trans and non-binary staff and students, and their allies, are enshrined at the core of the university’s culture”.

@TCA2b
@PilgrimOfTruth
@Napp
@The RAR
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
A very interesting article indeed.
For once more political correctness and politics try to triumph over reason and science. This must stop and the sooner common sense prevails the better it would be.
Reply 2
Ah yes i remember reading a different article on this topic, at least the uni is standing by her as opposed to siding with the extremist students who probably dont even know what so called 'transphobia' actually is as opposed to simply jumping on the latest fashionable 'cause'.

To be frank though, this goes far beyond 'political correctness gone mad', as some quarters like to label it, this is simply Stalinism gussied up as 'progressivism' and 'defending the vulnerable' - not sure how theyve managed to to claim to be doing that whilst at the same time acting just like the far right in terms of destroying, bullying and attacking anyone who dares to speak against what they consider to be gods truth.

Just look at the furore that Rowling caused, for stating a simple scientific fact or, more recently, what happened to Chappelle where despite neither doing anything theyve been marked for execution by the extremists in the lobby.

Bit of a shame really that anyone pays attation, let alone gives air time, to these cranks and anti-science nonsense.
Reply 3
Does anyone else find it very scary how stating a basic fact gets you in so much trouble these days?
Reply 4
Original post by The RAR
Does anyone else find it very scary how stating a basic fact gets you in so much trouble these days?

Indeed!!

Stating a simple scientific fact can cause complaints, reports, threats, moral crusades against individuals who may also be scientists with years of experience in their academic fields and plenty of knowledge.

Do you remember what happened here when we were discussing vaccinations and Natural Immunity?! Stating that Natural Immunity (as a personal opinion or a fact) could be the best possible avenue of protection for many of us generated discussions and counter discussions, frictions, and complaints, as it didn't fit the dogma of vaccinations for the entire human population.

@TCA2b
@PilgrimOfTruth
can't understand how it's ended her career if the university is still on her side. feels like she's claiming victimhood over very little.
Reply 6
Original post by 64Lightbulbs
can't understand how it's ended her career if the university is still on her side. feels like she's claiming victimhood over very little.

I am surprised the university has actually backed her, usually universities will just throw them to the lions to save their own skin. But I do agree, it's only a minority making the most noise and her safety is still secure.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by The RAR
But I do agree, it's only a minority making the most noise and her safety is still secure.

A minority of people can pose a serious threat.
So where the police going overboard?
Original post by Lucifer323
Do you remember what happened here when we were discussing vaccinations and Natural Immunity?! Stating that Natural Immunity (as a personal opinion or a fact) could be the best possible avenue of protection for many of us generated discussions and counter discussions, frictions, and complaints, as it didn't fit the dogma of vaccinations for the entire human population.

@TCA2b
@PilgrimOfTruth

It caused some healthy debate but I don't remember anyone's career being effectively ended over a difference of opinion expressed through a debate forum on TSR :rolleyes:
Reply 9
Original post by Cancelled Alice
A minority of people can pose a serious threat.
So where the police going overboard?

"Stock said she had been advised by the police to install CCTV at her home and to stay away from Sussex’s campus: “I do not know if this will push me out of academia. I do not want to leave,” she told the Sunday Times"

Part of the article from the Guardian.

Depends on the minority I suppose. It's pretty serious to say to a person who has devoted herself in academia for several years to stay away from the University Campus and install a CCTV Camera at her home.

The whole situation is a consequence of what she said and still supports i.e that you can't change your Biological Sex. Which is...true.
Don't see how she's wrong. Guess some people idolise diversity except when it comes to thought.
Original post by 64Lightbulbs

She isn't claiming to be a victim over nothing or over something very little as you stated above. It's a rather serious situation and in line with several other similar cases we have seen in the past and criticised here in these threads.

When the Police advises you to stay away from the Campus and install a CCTV Camera in your house it's rather a serious matter. The fact that the University is on her side doesn't change the situation. The University must protect what we call academic freedom i.e the freedom staff members have to say what they want under any circumstances.
(edited 2 years ago)
"Stock said she had been advised by the police to install CCTV at her home and to stay away from Sussex’s campus: “I do not know if this will push me out of academia. I do not want to leave,” she told the Sunday Times"

Part of the article from the Guardian.

Depends on the minority I suppose. It's pretty serious to say to a person who has devoted herself in academia for several years to stay away from the University Campus and install a CCTV Camera at her home.

The whole situation is a consequence of what she said and still supports i.e that you can't change your Biological Sex. Which is...true.

If you stopped Joe Bloggs in the street and asked him if he agreed with Kathleen Stocks position, chances are he would.

Risk of physical violence aside, she has been subject to an utterly shameful hate campaign. This has most likely been orchestrated by a small group of biter and deeply unhappy individuals who probably need some form of psychiatric help and who also must face appropriate legal consequences.

I agree that it is probably serious, I wanted to know why RAR thought it wasn’t.

2CE2C460-BA7E-437E-A412-D45813BD4DDB.jpeg
9EF67B3D-DA34-4A6C-B95D-C439B8ED401B.jpeg
Relieved that Sussex are standing up for academic freedom. It's been very disturbing how what is actually quite an extreme, anti-science position, that you do not have to be biologically female to be female, has become a guide to the retention or disciplining of academic staff. We need to call this out for the extreme view that it is.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Relieved that Sussex are standing up for academic freedom. It's been very disturbing how what is actually quite an extreme, anti-science position, that you do not have to be biologically female to be female, has become a guide to the retention or disciplining of academic staff. We need to call this out for the extreme view that it is.

Thanks to the infiltration of Universities by very left wing activists and individuals who go on moral crusades to impose their ludicrous ideologies.
Thanks to the infiltration of Universities by very left wing activists and individuals who go on moral crusades to impose their ludicrous ideologies.

There is (as you probably know) considerable dispute within what you term the 'left' (eg, feminism) about this, but the key thing is that you can believe that women are biological women without being a Transphobe, yet that is not accepted by a minority but a very vocal minority. It isn't right wing or left wing to accept science.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
There is (as you probably know) considerable dispute within what you term the 'left' (eg, feminism) about this, but the key thing is that you can believe that women are biological women without being a Transphobe, yet that is not accepted by a minority but a very vocal minority. It isn't right wing or left wing to accept science.

The problem mainly arises when politics and political correctness tries to interference in matters of science. A biological man or woman is a biological man or woman regardless of any politics that try to affect definitions or introduce movements to pursue these ideologies.

I notice the word belief you are using. I don't think that most of us believe in science. Accept is the proper word in the presence of evidence and proof. Biological sex depends on three factors

Karyotypes
Brain Functions
Body Functions

With the last two currently researched but the first accepted to correlate mostly with what sex is i.e XX and XY

Stating or discussing scientific facts or current scientific research has nothing to do with transgender individuals who may see this as an attack against their identities and freedoms.

The word Transphobia isn't the greatest though. Phobia means fear and there is no fear of transgender people. There could be prejudice though against them. Whoever has created this word and whatever other phobia related terms little he/she knew about the Greek Language.
Something that you all seem to have missed is Stock is a trustee of the LGB Alliance, a transphobic group that wishes to stop trans people recieving treatment and barring education on trans matters.

So it isn't simply that gender identity shouldn't trump biological sex, it is wishing to limit human rights.

She is welcome to her opinion but she should accept that she will be criticised for that opinion.
Original post by Dupe Hunter
Something that you all seem to have missed is Stock is a trustee of the LGB Alliance, a transphobic group that wishes to stop trans people recieving treatment and barring education on trans matters.

So it isn't simply that gender identity shouldn't trump biological sex, it is wishing to limit human rights.

She is welcome to her opinion but she should accept that she will be criticised for that opinion.

The Guardian article above makes no attempt to mention that she is a trustee of a transphobic group. Some links about this?
The Guardian article above makes no attempt to mention that she is a trustee of a transphobic group. Some links about this?

https://lgballiance.org.uk/about/

No surprises there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending