The Student Room Group

Professor says career ‘effectively ended’ by union’s transphobia claims

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hotpud
Were you not a child once? Did you not find certain other children in your class pretty or good looking? I did. I knew that boys were my friends and girls were pretty. I didn't know why but I did know that was how I felt. As you put it, in retrospect, I was exhibiting the feelings of a heterosexual cis man.

I have quite a few gay friends. All have spoken about the same thing but for them, they were attracted to people of the same sex. Except they were really confused because every message they received in school told them that to be normal they should be attracted to people of a different sex.

I have yet to meet someone who was either trans or gay who didn't know how they felt at primary school.

Today I work in a secondary school. You would be amazed how many kids come out at the age of around 14 - 16. And good for them. When I was at school no one came out. But thinking about it, there were still gay and trans kids there. They were just too afraid to come out.

"I have yet to meet someone who was either trans or gay who didn't know how they felt at primary school"

Really?! So you are saying that all kids were aware of their sexuality or sexual orientation in primary school. And where is th evidence for this?! Your observation?!

The above is not a valid argument as you may guess.
Original post by The RAR
Well those are very disturbing images, I take back what I said. These fools could benefit from some "baton treatment" and a free stay in the cells

It's a rather serious situation when the Police has advised an academic to stay away from campus and install CCTV Cameras at her house.

And all these because she wants science to prevail instead of ideological anti-scientific theories.
Original post by hotpud
Yeah good point. Did you ever question how you felt at the age of 5? I didn't. I found girls pretty and wanted to kiss them just as all of the gay people I know wanted to kiss people of the same sex when they were 5. But hey - sexuality and trans-gender is a social construct if you are cis right and entirely the result of peer pressure. I reckon I was only attracted to my wife because my parents made it absolutely clear that I had to fancy girls. It must be awful for all these confused children who know what their feelings are but are told it is just a phase!

I genuinely don't understand why non-cis people get such a hard time. Those who feel they need to judge speak more about the insecurity of their own identity or sexuality than those they choose to judge. Judging others causes harm. Letting people choose their own identity without judgement harms no one. I don't condone any harm against this lecturer but you do make your own bed to an extent. Trans people have been protected by law now for 11 years and still people are seeking to make their points.

"I genuinely don't understand why non-cis people get such a hard time. Those who feel they need to judge speak more about the insecurity of their own identity or sexuality than those they choose to judge."

Really?! Since when?!

"Trans people have been protected by law now for 11 years and still people are seeking to make their points".

Nothing to do with this conversation.
Confusion on the matters discussed. The fact that the rights of transgender people are protected by law has nothing to do here with what is discussed.
Original post by hotpud
Were you not a child once? Did you not find certain other children in your class pretty or good looking? I did. I knew that boys were my friends and girls were pretty. I didn't know why but I did know that was how I felt. As you put it, in retrospect, I was exhibiting the feelings of a heterosexual cis man.

I have quite a few gay friends. All have spoken about the same thing but for them, they were attracted to people of the same sex. Except they were really confused because every message they received in school told them that to be normal they should be attracted to people of a different sex.

I have yet to meet someone who was either trans or gay who didn't know how they felt at school

To be honest with you no, not really.
When the girls my age began to hit puberty, I found them attractive and I would always feel sexually awkward around the boys as a young teenager, I would describe it as a sense of dread. I don’t really remember much from my younger years. As an adult, I am unsure, it’s not clear cut for me.

When I’ve read pieces written by transgender individuals about their experience, often (but not always) they describe feelings that I doubt children could possibly experience because it’s bound up in sex and sexuality. What your talking about also fails to account for the well documented rapid onset gender dysphoria.
Reply 44
Original post by Lucifer323
"I have yet to meet someone who was either trans or gay who didn't know how they felt at primary school"

Really?! So you are saying that all kids were aware of their sexuality or sexual orientation in primary school. And where is th evidence for this?! Your observation?!

The above is not a valid argument as you may guess.

Not to be able to describe it, but yes, to know what it was. I knew where I was pointing when I was at primary school. Sexuality and gender expression are not selected from a menu when you become an adult.

Do you not remember how you felt about other kids around you when you were at school? Was there a year where you sat down with yourself, looked at the options and then decided to be straight or gay based on a list of criteria?

I know you don't want to talk about trans but my dad is trans. She has spoken about knowing she was different before reaching secondary school. Again - is she wrong?

Who did you fancy when you were at primary school. Same sex or different sex? And was that because that was how you felt or because someone told you that is what you should do? Or did you sit down, look at the options and make a conscious decision having weighed up the options?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 45
Original post by Cancelled Alice
You are confused.
Children don’t understand adult sexuality because they are children.

I am not confused because I am describing how I felt when I was a child. And I think we don't give children enough credit or respect when it comes to their feelings. Children experience feelings and for that matter, sexual feelings just like adults do. The only difference is that children don't have the vocabulary or experience to be able to express those feelings in a manner that is easy for people like you to understand so you dismiss them as being irrelevant because they are children.

A number of my gay friends have spoken about knowing they were different from a very early age. Are you saying they are wrong?
Reply 46
So you don’t believe that there is a difference between a pubescent child and prepubescent child?

Out of interest do school employees have to have a knowledge of child development?

Of course there is a difference. But my question to you, is how does child development alter how a child feels? I would suggest it doesn't. It just intensifies it.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by hotpud
Not to be able to describe it, but yes, to know what it was. I knew where I was pointing when I was at primary school. Sexuality and gender expression are not selected from a menu when you become an adult.

Do you not remember how you felt about other kids around you when you were at school? Was there a year where you sat down with yourself, looked at the options and then decided to be straight or gay based on a list of criteria?

I know you don't want to talk about trans but my dad is trans. She has spoken about knowing she was different before reaching secondary school. Again - is she wrong?

Who did you fancy when you were at primary school. Same sex or different sex? And was that because that was how you felt or because someone told you that is what you should do? Or did you sit down, look at the options and make a conscious decision having weighed up the options?

Children are not aware of their sexuality or sexual orientation because they are children. Hence what you are saying above isn't correct.

What you want to do is your business when you are an adult and if you decide to become a transgender then that's your own choice of course.
Original post by hotpud
I am not confused because I am describing how I felt when I was a child. And I think we don't give children enough credit or respect when it comes to their feelings. Children experience feelings and for that matter, sexual feelings just like adults do. The only difference is that children don't have the vocabulary or experience to be able to express those feelings in a manner that is easy for people like you to understand so you dismiss them as being irrelevant because they are children.

A number of my gay friends have spoken about knowing they were different from a very early age. Are you saying they are wrong?

I also think you are clearly confusing matters here. There is a huge difference between children having feelings and between being aware in relation to their sexuality and sexual orientation.
Reply 49
Children are not aware of their sexuality or sexual orientation because they are children. Hence what you are saying above isn't correct.

What you want to do is your business when you are an adult and if you decide to become a transgender then that's your own choice of course.

Ok. So how do you account for the fact that I was very aware of my sexuality when I was around 7 or 8 years old? Perhaps even younger. I had a person I called my girlfriend when I was 5. I was devastated when she moved away a year later. Or how do you account for the fact that many of my gay friends knew they were gay in primary school? You seem to be trying to project your own view of how people should be feeling onto them. Why?
Reply 50
I also think you are clearly confusing matters here. There is a huge difference between children having feelings and between being aware in relation to their sexuality and sexual orientation.

Is it not one and the same thing? Think about who you are attracted to to. How does it feel? Now think about someone you aren't attracted to. How does it feel?

For me - they are totally different feelings. Nothing to do with genetics. It is all up in my mind. Same when I was a kid.
Original post by hotpud
Ok. So how do you account for the fact that I was very aware of my sexuality when I was around 7 or 8 years old? Perhaps even younger. I had a person I called my girlfriend when I was 5. I was devastated when she moved away a year later. Or how do you account for the fact that many of my gay friends knew they were gay in primary school? You seem to be trying to project your own view of how people should be feeling onto them. Why?

What you are describing isn't a fact first of all. Children can have feelings however they are not aware of what sexuality or sexual orientation are. There is a huge difference between the matters described here.
Original post by hotpud
Is it not one and the same thing? Think about who you are attracted to to. How does it feel? Now think about someone you aren't attracted to. How does it feel?

For me - they are totally different feelings. Nothing to do with genetics. It is all up in my mind. Same when I was a kid.

As above.
Reply 53
What you are describing isn't a fact first of all. Children can have feelings however they are not aware of what sexuality or sexual orientation are. There is a huge difference between the matters described here.

Ok - so the feelings I remember from my childhood - I have made that up have I?

BTW - my kids (aged 7 and 11) know their sexuality. They know what it is and they understand about different types of relationships. But hey, they are wrong too I guess?
(edited 2 years ago)
The great irony of this thread is that if your father had grown up in a non-transphobic society as you’d likely envisage it, you probably wouldn’t be contributing to it.
I will say what I’ve already said, it’s very easy to look back retrospectively and pick out things that foreshadowed your sexual orientation or perhaps gender identity. This however doesn’t mean that all children who behave (or feel) in a certain way will grow up to be gay or to live as trans or to be straight and so on. And actually that is the core of the issue.

Most importantly and as @Fullofsurprises said the thread deals with the case of a University Professor who doesn't
"want unwarranted and dangerously irreversible severe medical interventions to be given to children who may simply be going through a phase, or misguided by ideologically driven parents"

Children may have feelings but little they are aware about their sexuality or sexual orientation.
Reply 55
This however doesn’t mean that all children who behave (or feel) in a certain way will grow up to be gay or to live as trans or to be straight and so on. And actually that is the core of the issue.

Is this your opinion or is it based on some form of verifiable evidence?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by hotpud
Ok - so the feelings I remember from my childhood - I have made that up have I?

BTW - my kids (aged 7 and 11) know their sexuality. They know what it is and they understand about different types of relationships. But hey, they are wrong too I guess?

These are not convincing arguments.
Neither they are true. Age 7 or 11 are too young to know about their sexuality or sexual orientation.
Original post by hotpud

Everything you have given so far is anecdotal stories. So to ask verifiable evidence from others is a little strange I am afraid.
Original post by hotpud

And that’s exactly what @Lucifer323 said to you in response to your ‘mini adult sans vocabulary’ hypothesis.
And yes your children, especially the 7 year old could have got their sexuality wrong. Thankfully as I’ve already touched a pon, there are no long term consequences to getting that wrong. I am not coming at this as at an ‘I prefer straight people’ angle, I am really not. I am being realistic.
(edited 2 years ago)
Everything you have given so far is anecdotal stories. So to ask verifiable evidence from others is a little strange I am afraid.

Yup.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending