The Student Room Group

Professor says career ‘effectively ended’ by union’s transphobia claims

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cancelled Alice
And that’s exactly what @Lucifer123 said to you in response to your ‘mini adult sans vocabulary’ hypothesis.

And it's @Lucifer323
Reply 61
Original post by Lucifer323
These are not convincing arguments.
Neither they are true. Age 7 or 11 are too young to know about their sexuality or sexual orientation.

Except it would seem some do. Around 1% of 9-10 year olds according to the study in this report

https://www.eurekalert.org/news-releases/616639

Of course, I am sure some don't. If you don't know that being gay is a thing then you are going to grow up very confused. You might even end up doing a Philip Scofield and having a heterosexual marriage and kids because that is what society expects you to do.

But telling me that my feelings are wrong. That is verging on abuse.

Note how the NSPCC states "Listen to how they feel"
https://www.nspcc.org.uk/keeping-children-safe/sex-relationships/sexuality-sexual-orientation/

You are not listening (as usual). You are just telling me that my feelings are wrong. Sorry buddy. But my feelings belong to me and are perfectly valid thank you very much.
And it's @Lucifer323

Ugh, it’s Saturday @Lucifer323
Original post by hotpud
Except it would seem some do. Around 1% of 9-10 year olds according to the study in this report

Of course, I am sure some don't. If you don't know that being gay is a thing then you are going to grow up very confused. You might even end up doing a Philip Scofield and having a heterosexual marriage and kids because that is what society expects you to do.

https://www.nspcc.org.uk/keeping-children-safe/sex-relationships/sexuality-sexual-orientation/

You are not listening (as usual). You are just telling me that my feelings are wrong. Sorry buddy. But my feelings belong to me and are perfectly valid thank you very much.

Lol, I’d rather my 5 year old child felt asexual. In fact, if they didn’t, I would be extremely concerned because premature sexual behaviour is a hallmark of child sexual abuse and can also be indicative of precocious puberty.

What a piece of junk off the NSPCC, they call themselves child protection experts.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by hotpud

I can't possibly comment on the 'about 1% of the 9-10 year old know about their sexual orientation and sexuality'

These are not good or convincing arguments I am afraid.

For once more children are now aware of their sexual orientation or sexuality because they are children. Children do have feelings however this is something else.
Reply 65
Lol, I’d rather my 5 year old child felt asexual. In fact, if they didn’t, I would be extremely concerned because premature sexual behaviour is a hallmark of child sexual abuse and can also be indicative of precocious puberty.

What a piece of junk off the NSPCC, they call themselves child protection experts.

So if your 9 year-old came along to you and told you they were attracted to people of the same sex, presumably you would tell them and don't understand their own feelings because they are only 9. No doubt you would tell them they were wrong and that "normal" people only like members of the opposite sex? Now I understand why so many people of the gay community have had such confusing childhoods.
(edited 2 years ago)

The arguments presented above in relation to children being aware about their sexuality a d sexual orientation even at a very young age and as young as 7(!!) are simply wrong and have no basis in anything.
Original post by hotpud
So if your 9 year-old came along to you and told you they were attracted to people of the same sex, presumably you would tell them they were wrong and that normal people only like members of the opposite sex? Now I understand why so many people of the gay community have had such confusing childhoods.

Absolutely not, maybe I somehow haven’t been clear enough, I don’t prefer straight people over gay people. I would be supportive of them, I would let them know that it is normal for teenagers and adults to have relationships with people of the same sex. However I would also make sure they know that it’s if fine they like people of the opposite sex too- I don’t have any expectations of them in regards to that, all I want is for them to be happy. At the end of the day it’s not that important to me so I wouldn’t make a massive deal out of it.

If the child was older or younger, my response would be different.

I thought we where talking about 5 year olds.
Reply 68
The arguments presented above in relation to children being aware about their sexuality a d sexual orientation even at a very young age and as young as 7(!!) are simply wrong and have no basis in anything.

Not even a poll that found 1% of 9-10 year olds identified as LGBT+?

Tell me - at what point to be suddenly "become" gay in your opinion? Do they take a pill? Do they read the facts and make a choice? I am genuinely curious to know the "truth" as per Lucifer.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by hotpud
Not even a poll that found 1% of 9-10 year olds identified as LGBT+?

Tell me - at what point to be suddenly "become" gay in your opinion? Do they take a pill? Do they read the facts and make a choice? I am genuinely curious to know the "truth" as per Lucifer.

I am afraid you are going in cycles having no convincing arguments and asking irrelevant questions. The conversation in this thread is about something entirely different. The arguments you presented have no basis in anything other than your own erroneous interpretations and/or experiences in life that have been misinterpreted greatly.
Reply 70
I am afraid you are going in cycles having no convincing arguments and asking irrelevant questions. The conversation in this thread is about something entirely different. The arguments you presented have no basis in anything other than your own erroneous interpretations and/or experiences in life that have been misinterpreted greatly.

You are quite right. The professor in this case wanted to tell it like it is regardless of how other people feel. She broke the Equalities Act 2010 but more so has upset so many people that she has screwed up her life.

On the other hand, you have added nothing to the conversation other than to say my feelings are invalid just as the professor in question has. You have not backed up your view with anything other than your own opinion. Feel free to stick to your own opinion
@hotpud I suspect that you don’t understand how the equality act works, but I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt- evidence please.

Do you know what, I’ve had enough of this thread- it’s like wading through thick hot treacle.
If something interesting is said, I’ll be back.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by hotpud
You are quite right. The professor in this case wanted to tell it like it is regardless of how other people feel. She broke the Equalities Act 2010 but more so has upset so many people that she has screwed up her life.

On the other hand, you have added nothing to the conversation other than to say my feelings are invalid just as the professor in question has. You have not backed up your view with anything other than your own opinion. Feel free to stick to your own opinion, but take a leaf out of the professor's book and keep your opinions to yourself if you wish to keep your job.

I am afraid again you are at odds with the audience here which supports what the Professor did and by no means she has broken any laws of the state. This is your own erroneous interpretations that have no basis in reality.

The University has backed her up just anyone will do by applying common sense and rational arguments.

Your feelings are not relevant in this conversation. I am afraid for once more that it isn't myself who hasn't backed up his arguments as I am not the one who is appealing to emotions or talks about feelings.
Hence the arguments you have presented have been refuted.

@TCA2b
@PilgrimOfTruth
@The RAR
(edited 2 years ago)
Frankly creepy how some people want to push sexual identity onto children, IMO.
Reply 74
Original post by TCA2b

I agree. We should listen to our children.
Original post by TCA2b

It seems that there is a continuous confusion between politics and science. The politicalisation of science is once major issue discussed across many different threads here on this site. Bringing identity politics and sexual identity and try to apply these to children is just extraordinary and again at odds with logic and common sense as well as science.
Original post by hotpud
I agree. We should listen to our children.

The user above @TCA2b doesn't agree with what you have said by the way and neither most users as they are clear that identity politics and sexual identity shouldn't be applied to children.
Original post by hotpud

On the other hand, you have added nothing to the conversation other than to say my feelings are invalid just as the professor in question has. You have not backed up your view with anything other than your own opinion. Feel free to stick to your own opinion, but take a leaf out of the professor's book and keep your opinions to yourself if you wish to keep your job.

"Feel free to stick to your own opinion, but take a leaf out of the professor's book and keep your opinions to yourself if you wish to keep your job"

In a democracy I am allowed to express my opinions and criticise anyone and anything I want. Professor Stock hasn't lost her position and there is no investigation against her by her employer as there is nothing to be investigated.

I strongly support the freedom of expression just as the academic freedom staff members have to express their opinions the way they see fit.

The threats that you present here i.e either shut your mouth or you will be dismissed don't seem to materialise or be effective. On the contrary Professor Stock's ideas and views have acceptable by a wider audience here in the UK and abroad and considered reasonable and fair.

Her employment and contract are not subject to whether she satisfies the views and perceptions of left wing activists and transgender groups.

As for me, I think at the same frequency as everyone else who wants to live in a democratic society. We don't accept threats and we speak freely regardless of what activists may say or do.
Of course to certain quarters, e.g. those eager to propagandise children in topics of utterly unfit for them, such as sexual identity, biological reality must give way to legislative whims. Emotional nutjobs who can't accept matters of fact should not be allowed to bully society at large with their temper tantrums and emotional outbursts, regardless of what the likes of hotpud (loosely speaking) think.

Also what is with this veiled threat? Perhaps hotpud (byeek?) would like to explain himself on that topic? Is he a mod? I don't think so.
Reply 79
Original post by TCA2b
Of course to certain quarters, e.g. those eager to propagandise children in topics of utterly unfit for them, such as sexual identity, biological reality must give way to legislative whims. Emotional nutjobs who can't accept matters of fact should not be allowed to bully society at large with their temper tantrums and emotional outbursts, regardless of what the likes of hotpud (loosely speaking) think.

Also what is with this veiled threat? Perhaps hotpud (byeek?) would like to explain himself on that topic? Is he a mod? I don't think so.

I quite agree. But equally people should be permitted to express themselves as they like without fear of recrimination or oppression. In other words, just be nice. If it is permissible to question the sexuality of some people then it surely follows that everyone should have to justify who they are at the whim of whoever is questioning them?

Alternatively, some people are gay / bi / trans. Get over it. It is no concern of anyone except the individuals themselves. And if you don't like the toilet they use, feel free to use the disabled one.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending