The Student Room Group

Just some thoughts about pride in your identity

Scroll to see replies

What childish nonsense. :biggrin:
Original post by hotpud
Not quite but if that is what you want to believe, I have better things to do this evening than write a detailed history of Roman occupation. Either way, it was not an occupation that saw Britons discriminated against on the basis of colour or sexuality so is somewhat out of the bounds of this debate.

Nah - this is just an anti-left take on the whole matter. It is a bit pathetic really.

I'm not white bashing. Just trying to understand why it is ok to be proud to be black but not ok to be proud to be white. I think the bottom line is that as white people, we really don't understand just how good we have it.

So what? By your logic it does t matter they were enslaved and brutally occupied because it was by fellow Europeans?
Screenshot_2021-11-01-20-02-12-59_92b64b2a7aa6eb3771ed6e18d0029815.jpg

This is very warped take leftists have where eg white people enslaving black people is somehow worse than when black people enslave other black people.

Mmmhmm. Well if it's so pathetic you should be able to refute it easily...

Your last paragraph is just bizarre. You've made the assertion that it's somehow uniquely wrong to be proud of being white, but then you're just trying to understand why that's the case? And then a non sequitur to cap it off.

Screenshot_2021-10-19-13-33-19-43_92b64b2a7aa6eb3771ed6e18d0029815.jpg
In theory yes (possibly) in reality not always
This is because states do not exist in a vacuum and have a multitude of factors to consider.

For instance let's say you have a town in Pakistan that wants to secede and become a Israeli colony for whatever reason. Would that be ok?
Original post by hotpud
Not quite but if that is what you want to believe, I have better things to do this evening than write a detailed history of Roman occupation. Either way, it was not an occupation that saw Britons discriminated against on the basis of colour or sexuality so is somewhat out of the bounds of this debate.

Nah - this is just an anti-left take on the whole matter. It is a bit pathetic really.

I'm not white bashing. Just trying to understand why it is ok to be proud to be black but not ok to be proud to be white. I think the bottom line is that as white people, we really don't understand just how good we have it.

Wrong again the Roman which has many black soldiers were very violent and abusive again British population. Local Britain's where not allowed to marry Romans or allowed to live Roman town etc.

Britains at the time were not nice they did child sacrifices slavery massacre other clans.
Also it look at slavery in the last 500 years the countries with the worst records or Africa and Asian so no body should be pleased with were they come from. Because humans do disgusting things to each other.
I only feel 'proud' of my identity in the sense that I am not ashamed of who I am. Given that history has been very antagonistic towards people like myself, I feel like this pride is valid. Plus there are lots of people out there who think I should be ashamed of who I am, though thankfully their opinions are on the decline.

Aside from that, I would say I am only proud of things I have accomplished.
Reply 25
Original post by Starship Trooper
This is very warped take leftists have where eg white people enslaving black people is somehow worse than when black people enslave other black people.

Black people enslaving black people are not doing so because those they are enslaving are black. They are doing it because they don't like those they are enslaving or they come from a rival tribe / country / region.

You seem to be confusing the idea of oppression on the basis of tribe, region or natural resource and oppression based simply on the colour of your skin.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by looloo2134
Wrong again the Roman which has many black soldiers were very violent and abusive again British population. Local Britain's where not allowed to marry Romans or allowed to live Roman town etc.

Indeed. They were not allowed to marry Romans because they were Britons. Not because they were white. And the Romans did form relationships with the Britons. They were in the area for 400+ years! And many remained in Britain when the Romans left.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by hotpud
Black people enslaving black people are not doing so because those they are enslaving are black. They are doing it because they don't like those they are enslaving or they come from a rival tribe / country / region.

You seem to be confusing the idea of oppression on the basis of tribe, region or natural resource and oppression based simply on the colour of your skin.

Ok so?

I'm not confusing anything. I'm asking why it's worse to be brutally enslaved because of "racism" than brutally enslaved because of other factors.

Frankly the descendants of white owned black slaves are far better off than their black owned compatriots.
Open question
Why is it only ok to be proud of your background only if you have previously been a "victim" (real or imagined) ???
Ok so?

I'm not confusing anything. I'm asking why it's worse to be brutally enslaved because of "racism" than brutally enslaved because of other factors.

Frankly the descendants of white owned black slaves are far better off than their black owned compatriots.

It makes me laugh that somehow, enslaving someone for that specific characteristic is sooooooo much worse than all the other examples of it.
So there are limits /exceptions to independence then at least.

It's kinda like a macrocosm of libertarianism in that I'm very sympathetic with it but ultimately I think it's at best naive utopianism to want/expect people to leave each other alone indefinitely.

It shouldn't...I would say its the opposite. There is actually little to be proud of in that you were conquered, especially if your ancestor's rolled over without a fight.

Ladies and gentlemen we have a winner!
Original post by TCA2b
It makes me laugh that somehow, enslaving someone for that specific characteristic is sooooooo much worse than all the other examples of it.

Exactly.

It's insane that stabbing someone because you hate their race is somehow worse than stabbing someone because you want their wallet or any other arbitrary reason.
Open question
Why is it only ok to be proud of your background only if you have previously been a "victim" (real or imagined) ???

Conversely, why should someone be proud of their background if they have never been a victim?

I think that pride, in general, should come from either overcoming a struggle or accomplishing something. If someone has never struggled or hasn't accomplished anything then I don't see what they should be proud of.

Being proud of something that has never been a hindrance to you is such a weird thing. It would be like me saying I am proud to have white skin or brown hair.
Original post by SHallowvale
Conversely, why should someone be proud of their background if they have never been a victim?

I think that pride, in general, should come from either overcoming a struggle or accomplishing something. If someone has never struggled or hasn't accomplished anything then I don't see what they should be proud of.

Being proud of something that has never been a hindrance to you is such a weird thing. It would be like me saying I am proud to have white skin or brown hair.

Because it's part of their identity

Seems pretty subjective to me. I don't think people need other peoples validation to be proud of something.

Not really it's pretty normal actually. If you asked an undiscovered indigenous tribe person somewhere if they were proud of their background they would tell you yes.

It's only in our cancerous, atomistic, materialistic, neoliberal "Society" that people feel like this.
Because it's part of their identity

Seems pretty subjective to me. I don't think people need other peoples validation to be proud of something.

Not really it's pretty normal actually. If you asked an undiscovered indigenous tribe person somewhere if they were proud of their background they would tell you yes.

It's only in our cancerous, atomistic, materialistic, neoliberal "Society" that people feel like this.

Do you think people should be proud of every aspect of their identity? Plenty of things form this: their name, skin colour, eye colour, hair colour, height, weight, sexuality, gender, disabilities (or lack thereof), etc. Even someone's choice of clothes, their job and their hobbies can form their identity.

If you want to be pedantic about it then, sure, pride is ultimately subjective. If we're going to settle on this then I don't see what the point of your question is. It seems like you are interested more in what some people think of other people's pride, which I've given my own personal opinion on.

I don't consider it cancerous, atomistic, materialistic, *some other buzzowrd*, etc, to not feel pride in many parts of my identity. Is it really "cancerous" that I'm not waving the banner of 'brown eyes pride' or 'no disabilities pride'? Should I wave these banners?
Original post by SHallowvale
Do you think people should be proud of every aspect of their identity? Plenty of things form this: their name, skin colour, eye colour, hair colour, height, weight, sexuality, gender, disabilities (or lack thereof), etc. Even someone's choice of clothes, their job and their hobbies can form their identity.

If you want to be pedantic about it then, sure, pride is ultimately subjective. If we're going to settle on this then I don't see what the point of your question is.

It seems like you are interested more in what some people think of other people's pride, which I've given my own personal opinion on.

I don't consider it cancerous, atomistic, materialistic, *some other buzzowrd*, etc, to not feel pride in many parts of my identity. Is it really "cancerous" that I'm not waving the banner of 'brown eyes pride' or 'no disabilities pride'? Should I wave these banners?

No. Sure.

To some extent sure. There was no question.

Not really. Did you?

No but you're just being facetious now.
----

In any case I think you've inadvertently answered my question:

Pride is ultimately pretty subjective and there's no real reason why it should be based on being a victim - and indeed some would argue that's nothing nothing to celebrate about...
In any case I think you've inadvertently answered my question:

Pride is ultimately pretty subjective and there's no real reason why it should be based on being a victim - and indeed some would argue that's nothing nothing to celebrate about...

I'd argue that if there has been no victimhood or struggle then there's nothing to celebrate.

For example if someone grew up in poverty but was able to overcome it by working hard and getting a good job then I would celebrate that with them. Conversely, if someone grew up in luxury and had their parents buy them their first house then I'd find it hard to celebrate with them.
Reply 37
Ok so?

This thread is about pride in your identity. I have only been talking about identity regarding colour or sexuality. Brutality is brutality. There are no gradations. But I have less time for people who are brutal simply because someone looks or thinks differently. Where as I have no time for violence I can at the very least understand the motivation of brutality for resources or land.
Original post by hotpud
This thread is about pride in your identity. I have only been talking about identity regarding colour or sexuality. Brutality is brutality. There are no gradations.

But I have less time for people who are brutal simply because someone looks or thinks differently. Where as I have no time for violence I can at the very least understand the motivation of brutality for resources or land.

So you agree with me then...

Those two things are usually blurred though would you agree? Esp through things like colonialism.
Reply 39
So you agree with me then...

Those two things are usually blurred though would you agree? Esp through things like colonialism.

Yes I do agree with you. But what you are talking about has nothing to do with this thread.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending