The Student Room Group

Just some thoughts about pride in your identity

I was just thinking about how people say things such as they’re “proud to be black” or “proud to be gay” or “proud to be scottish” or whatever (completely random examples not directed at anyone specifically). And honestly, I can’t say I feel pride in anything about my identity that I can’t change. For example, I’m mixed race, I’m bisexual, I’m british, but I’m not proud of any of those things. I’m not ashamed of them either. But they’re just basic facts of who I am, that I can’t change about myself. To me it feels like saying that I’m proud to be a girl, or I’m proud to have brown eyes, or I’m proud to be named my name. None of those facts say anything about how good of a person I am, anything about actual achievements of mine. (Which are things that I would actually be proud of). So I just don’t feel any pride in them. For me, I feel proud of things that I’ve achieved, things that I’ve done to make the world a better place, etc. Not basic things about my identity that don’t actually make me better than any other person.
Just to note, this is in no way supposed to be hostile towards people that say they’re proud to be (insert basic fact of identity). I get that the point of saying it is probably more to show that you’re not ashamed of things that society might try to make you ashamed of, which is absolutely right, you shouldn’t be ashamed of things like race, sexuality, nationality etc. But these are just some random thoughts I was having when I realised I’m not really proud of things that everyone else says they’re proud of, and that I’m really just indifferent about these facts because they’re not things you should really judge people’s character on tbh.
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think you have ultimately recognised that we are all different. I am not particularly proud of any of my characterises like you, but I am proud of where I come from (regionally) and I am proud of my kids. I am also proud of my achievements. I guess different people are proud of different things.
Reply 2
Its interesting that some identifies are fine to be proud of yet others will have you branded as a bigot..
If you go for black or gay pride, as but two examples, you're hailed as a hero and receive respect (**** knows why but still) yet if you say youre proud of your white identity youre compared to hitler and if youre proud of your straight identity youre apparently a raging homophobe.

To be honest all of these traits seem moronic to be 'proud' of. I have no idea why you'd be proud of what type of genitals youre attracted to or what shade of skin tone you have, as opposed to your national identity which is rather different. black/white/asian/gay/straight/trans pride are all ridiculous in my book and certainly deserve no respect simply by dint of existing.

The one thing thats amusing though is the grotesque hypocrisy and double standards in it, as i noted earlier, in itself it is quite clearly racism ands bigorty of the most basic order when someone who celebrates black pride gets uppity on someone talking about their white pride (or any other type of pride in this sector for that matter) but what can you do? The types who believe these things are actually worth respect are either racists (on both sides) or bigots in general, the activists from both camps for these all being decidedly unpleasant in general with their propensity to shove people into boxes and stack them ion a heirarchy of respectability (a trans, black, gender questioning, disabled lesbian) being the golden prize with the straight white man being the low man on the totem pole, as it were. At least as far as the left activists go, the ranking tends to reverse when you sapeak to the other lot.

In short theyre all twits who need to get a sense of perspective on whats important in life and to people at large, which none of this is. These being quirks of fate and nothing more. Theres nothing to be proud of and certainly nothing to respect about them, in of themselves. But the double standards do somewhat grate whenever this topic is brought up.
Reply 3
Original post by Napp
Its interesting that some identifies are fine to be proud of yet others will have you branded as a bigot..
If you go for black or gay pride, as but two examples, you're hailed as a hero and receive respect (**** knows why but still) yet if you say youre proud of your white identity youre compared to hitler and if youre proud of your straight identity youre apparently a raging homophobe.

To be honest all of these traits seem moronic to be 'proud' of. I have no idea why you'd be proud of what type of genitals youre attracted to or what shade of skin tone you have, as opposed to your national identity which is rather different. black/white/asian/gay/straight/trans pride are all ridiculous in my book and certainly deserve no respect simply by dint of existing.

The one thing thats amusing though is the grotesque hypocrisy and double standards in it, as i noted earlier, in itself it is quite clearly racism ands bigorty of the most basic order when someone who celebrates black pride gets uppity on someone talking about their white pride (or any other type of pride in this sector for that matter) but what can you do? The types who believe these things are actually worth respect are either racists (on both sides) or bigots in general, the activists from both camps for these all being decidedly unpleasant in general with their propensity to shove people into boxes and stack them ion a heirarchy of respectability (a trans, black, gender questioning, disabled lesbian) being the golden prize with the straight white man being the low man on the totem pole, as it were. At least as far as the left activists go, the ranking tends to reverse when you sapeak to the other lot.

In short theyre all twits who need to get a sense of perspective on whats important in life and to people at large, which none of this is. These being quirks of fate and nothing more. Theres nothing to be proud of and certainly nothing to respect about them, in of themselves. But the double standards do somewhat grate whenever this topic is brought up.

Interesting point about being proud to be white. I suppose it boils down to the question of what does it mean to be white. Historically as a white person, you have power and influence. You generally ruled over everyone else and if not, indirectly you benefitted from those who did.

Being proud to be black is about fighting that oppression and standing up for yourself despite all that is thrown at you.

So back to the question - what would being white in a non-racist context actually entail?
I can understand why some people who are oppressed by society because of their group identity might feel proud of their group identity.

Original post by hotpud
Interesting point about being proud to be white. I suppose it boils down to the question of what does it mean to be white. Historically as a white person, you have power and influence. You generally ruled over everyone else and if not, indirectly you benefitted from those who did.

Being proud to be black is about fighting that oppression and standing up for yourself despite all that is thrown at you.

So back to the question - what would being white in a non-racist context actually entail?

This is a display of white supremacy, in some places and during some periods of time being white has equated to power and influence, let’s not ignore the rest of history.
Reply 5
Original post by hotpud

Thasts the qwuestion, it measning different things to different people. Personally i imagine it equates more to white civilisation i.e. european history and all the benefits it has brought, maybe the empire(s) as well, depending on your own views, but still. Whenever someone seems to think of white pride they immediately jump to that person holding the paralel view that whites are supreme above all others. in ones view each one can exist without necessarily having the other bolted on to it.

Personally, aside from the general views of pride in something that you gained by fate i mentioned earlier, i see no issue in being proud of ones heritage in of itself. If it offends others because their ancestors happened to suffer at the hands of europeans many years ago, well, meh.. who cares. If theyre going to hold the view of black pride (or any other type) theyre in no position to question someone else for holding similar views.

Equally, on your comment about black pride, whilst some undoubtedly hold thatr view there are plenty who hold it for the reasons i noted above for whites, as well as black supremsists. These ones decidedly not being proud of simply shaking off colonial control but thinking, for some odd reason, theyre a master race of some form being as unpleasant as neo-nazis and their white supremist views.

In general though, i fail to see any reason to be ashamed of our history, the empire existed and brought great good to the world, as well as evil, and im certainly not going to apologise for the actions of the long dead simply because some people today dont like it (strange considering it never effected them, their being born long after empire died. If they wish to take out their frustrations on someone they should look to their corrupt leaders. Be it a dictator in Chad or the dubious politcians in Malaysia etc.

Its an interesting topic, shame its so inherently toxic because of certain peoples views on it.
I'm not a nationalist or a identitarian so I'm not proud of being white or British per say although I'm definitely not ashamed or feel the need to apologize for it (and find it absurd that people think I should)

I don't see how the only valid/ positive feeling people are "allowed" to have is if they have been one of life's losers historically. It's just part of this whole left wing grievance culture where there's this oppression Hierarchy.

The fact is white Europeans were just better at conquering people than others (who would have done the same if they could) were. Them moaning is just sour grapes.
(edited 2 years ago)
^Well said to both the above.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 8
I think it doesn't make sense on multiple levels. Fundamentally I think the self is an illusion so I think it's ultimately irrational to identify as anything. As humans we're tribalistic in nature though so the feeling of selfhood and group membership come naturally to us.
Reply 9
well i was taught to be ashamed of myself and my heritage ever since i can remember and still so ashamed i won't even dare to say my backyard outloud till this day :nah: (fyi it won't be what you think it is. you may have heard of it if i told you but you still won't know what it actually is and i can promise you it's never ever been even mentioned on TSR). said shame was brought on because it wasn't uncommon where i'm from but because no one really knew what it means to be XYZ, those around us, even kids at school, assumed we were weird and backwards living in the 1800s or something. that's why i never say my family's background because cba to explain what it means to be XYZ and i suppose cuz mostly i don't think you'll believe me anyway; you'll just believe the stereotypes since obvs those are more dependable cuz you see it more often and it's 'common knowledge'. it's amazing how shame can be so engrained tho.

to the OP if you've never been taught to be ashamed of something you can't change and has historically been discrimated against ofc being proud of your race, sexuality, gender, nationality, etc will be a non-issue, which i think you have acknowledged. that isn't everyone's story tho, especially older generations who perhaps had to live thro things you haven't experienced. personally have no problem with anyone saying they're proud of the aforementioned. sometimes it takes a lot of courage for even a young man to say he's attracted to other men or to admit to society you're trans when you know defo you will get backlash.
Meh it depends on a multitude of factors- other than China, US and Russia no country is really independent. Should all people be independent? Good God no unless you're pro kurd or something.

I'm pretty much opposed to all western backed neoCon wars and am pretty isolationist - but that's more because I hate the current western order than being a pacifist.
Reply 11
Original post by Napp
Thasts the qwuestion, it measning different things to different people. Personally i imagine it equates more to white civilisation i.e. european history and all the benefits it has brought, maybe the empire(s) as well, depending on your own views, but still. Whenever someone seems to think of white pride they immediately jump to that person holding the paralel view that whites are supreme above all others. in ones view each one can exist without necessarily having the other bolted on to it.

Personally, aside from the general views of pride in something that you gained by fate i mentioned earlier, i see no issue in being proud of ones heritage in of itself. If it offends others because their ancestors happened to suffer at the hands of europeans many years ago, well, meh.. who cares. If theyre going to hold the view of black pride (or any other type) theyre in no position to question someone else for holding similar views.

Equally, on your comment about black pride, whilst some undoubtedly hold thatr view there are plenty who hold it for the reasons i noted above for whites, as well as black supremsists. These ones decidedly not being proud of simply shaking off colonial control but thinking, for some odd reason, theyre a master race of some form being as unpleasant as neo-nazis and their white supremist views.

In general though, i fail to see any reason to be ashamed of our history, the empire existed and brought great good to the world, as well as evil, and im certainly not going to apologise for the actions of the long dead simply because some people today dont like it (strange considering it never effected them, their being born long after empire died. If they wish to take out their frustrations on someone they should look to their corrupt leaders. Be it a dictator in Chad or the dubious politcians in Malaysia etc.

Its an interesting topic, shame its so inherently toxic because of certain peoples views on it.

I agree. I think you have clarified my views on what pride in characteristics means. If you think about it, being black or gay, or to an extent, a woman (more in other cultures) and so on are all sections of society who have been repressed; who have been told that how they are is not acceptable and if they are to be accepted, they must conform. So black people were made into slaves or second class citizens, gay people were criminalised and women have been generally denied equal rights since the beginning of time. Being proud of who you are is a way of saying "I will not be down trodden. I will not be repressed. I am who I am and I am proud of that."

White men in particular as a group have never been repressed or downtrodden simply for being white men. It therefore doesn't really make sense to say you are a proud white man unless you are proud of the fact that you feel superior to others purely because you are white.

Does that make sense?
Original post by hotpud
I agree. I think you have clarified my views on what pride in characteristics means. If you think about it, being black or gay, or to an extent, a woman (more in other cultures) and so on are all sections of society who have been repressed; who have been told that how they are is not acceptable and if they are to be accepted, they must conform. So black people were made into slaves or second class citizens, gay people were criminalised and women have been generally denied equal rights since the beginning of time. Being proud of who you are is a way of saying "I will not be down trodden. I will not be repressed. I am who I am and I am proud of that."

White men in particular as a group have never been repressed or downtrodden simply for being white men. It therefore doesn't really make sense to say you are a proud white man unless you are proud of the fact that you feel superior to others purely because you are white.

Does that make sense?

No.

Firstly white people had their struggles too, yes we conquered the world but we had to bloody fight and suffer for it and we have our own rich and amazing history and culture

I'm proud of the civilizations we helped to build and hugely disgusted with my fellow white people who turn their back on their heritage, spit on their ancestors and try and tear down their glorious legacy.

Screenshot_2021-11-01-17-22-57-04_92b64b2a7aa6eb3771ed6e18d0029815.jpg

None of the above has anything to do with me feeling superior to others because of my race.
Reply 13
Original post by hotpud

Does that make sense?

It does but that presupposes to be proud of your identity/charteristics etc. can only be doneby those who are notionaly marginalised or have been at some point in the past. Something i would disagree with. Outside of my previous comments in general on the matter, i see nothing wrong with a white, straight man being able to be proud of whatever in the same vein as someone from one of those groups is. After all, its not there fault women or ethnic minorities have been oppressed historically and they shouldnt be held accountable for that.
In the same way a black person can be proud of their notional cultural accomplishments (which seems to be where the black pride stems from as opposed to any historical links to slavery, except african americans), there is every reason a white person should be proud of their peoples cultural and social achievements in the same way and they shouldnt simply be branded a racist for that - unless we're to also say that black/asian etc. are racist for holding these views.

Then again, as i said, the whole thing is stupid given these people are being proud of accomplishments they have nothing to do with, both black and white.
Reply 14
Original post by Starship Trooper
No.

Firstly white people had their struggles too, yes we conquered the world but we had to bloody fight and suffer for it and we have our own rich and amazing history and culture

Of course. But we didn't struggle simply because we were white did we? We struggled because in our quest (and I am speaking as an Englishman) to conquer the world, we occasionally encountered a bit of resistance from the locals we were trying to subvert as shown in your picture.
Reply 15
Original post by Napp
It does but that presupposes to be proud of your identity/charteristics etc. can only be doneby those who are notionaly marginalised or have been at some point in the past. Something i would disagree with. Outside of my previous comments in general on the matter, i see nothing wrong with a white, straight man being able to be proud of whatever in the same vein as someone from one of those groups is. After all, its not there fault women or ethnic minorities have been oppressed historically and they shouldnt be held accountable for that.
In the same way a black person can be proud of their notional cultural accomplishments (which seems to be where the black pride stems from as opposed to any historical links to slavery, except african americans), there is every reason a white person should be proud of their peoples cultural and social achievements in the same way and they shouldnt simply be branded a racist for that - unless we're to also say that black/asian etc. are racist for holding these views.

Then again, as i said, the whole thing is stupid given these people are being proud of accomplishments they have nothing to do with, both black and white.

I guess that when you are marginalised or subverted, they can take your freedom and your dignity but they can't take your identity, so what better way to suck it the bad guys than stand up and tell them just how proud you are of that identity?

e.g. some people are gay / black / trans / not white. Get over it. Etc etc.
Original post by hotpud
Of course. But we didn't struggle simply because we were white did we?

We struggled because in our quest (and I am speaking as an Englishman) to conquer the world, we occasionally encountered a bit of resistance from the locals

we were trying to subvert as shown in your picture.

No but so what? Why do you have to have been a victim in order to qualify for feeling pride? And whilst we have never been discriminated for being white per say we have been discriminated against by Romans, Vikings and the Barbary States at points in history.

That's a bit of an understatement isn't it. Plenty of our kin met very grisly ends at the hands of natives.

What do you mean "subvert" lol , we just conquered them.
Reply 17
No but so what? Why do you have to have been a victim in order to qualify for feeling pride? And whilst we have never been discriminated for being white per say we have been discriminated against by Romans, Vikings and the Barbary States at points in history.

Of course. And when we were persecuted by the Romans, no doubt we felt fiercely proud to be Britons. My point which was remarked on above, is that saying you are proud to be white in the current day context is generally associated with white supremacy and is not a particularly positive characteristic to have.

Feel free to explain to me why being proud of being white is a good thing because personally I don't think it is.
Original post by hotpud
Of course. And when we were persecuted by the Romans, no doubt we felt fiercely proud to be Britons.

My point which was remarked on above, is that saying you are proud to be white in the current day context is generally associated with white supremacy and is not a particularly positive characteristic to have.

Feel free to explain to me why being proud of being white is a good thing because personally I don't think it is.

Well I don't. I'm glad the Romans did conquer and civilise us otherwise we'd still be a bunch of swamp dwelling heathen savages.

"White supremacy" is basically just a left wing smear against white people. The entire history of humanity is about one group oppressing another. Those who didn't just sucked at it. Again whites are just being penalised for being better players.

Screenshot_2021-11-01-19-29-39-58_92b64b2a7aa6eb3771ed6e18d0029815.jpg

Like I said I'm not proud purely for being born Caucasian. I think that's wrong too (not because it's "racist" but because it's idolatry). I'm proud that as a European, we have a amazing history and heritage that our ancestors helped build and I reject anyone that tries to take that away because it upsets some people. Boohoo.
Screenshot_2021-09-05-23-20-02-62_92b64b2a7aa6eb3771ed6e18d0029815.jpg
Reply 19
Well I don't. I'm glad the Romans did conquer and civilise us otherwise we'd still be a bunch of swamp dwelling heathen savages.

Not quite but if that is what you want to believe, I have better things to do this evening than write a detailed history of Roman occupation. Either way, it was not an occupation that saw Britons discriminated against on the basis of colour or sexuality so is somewhat out of the bounds of this debate.

"White supremacy" is basically just a left wing smear against white people. The entire history of humanity is about one group oppressing another. Those who didn't just sucked at it. Again whites are just being penalised for being better players.

Nah - this is just an anti-left take on the whole matter. It is a bit pathetic really.

Like I said I'm not proud purely for being born Caucasian. I think that's wrong too (not because it's "racist" but because it's idolatry). I'm proud that as a European, we have a amazing history and heritage that our ancestors helped build and I reject anyone that tries to take that away because it upsets some people. Boohoo.
Screenshot_2021-09-05-23-20-02-62_92b64b2a7aa6eb3771ed6e18d0029815.jpg

I'm not white bashing. Just trying to understand why it is ok to be proud to be black but not ok to be proud to be white. I think the bottom line is that as white people, we really don't understand just how good we have it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending