The Student Room Group

Just some thoughts about pride in your identity

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hotpud
Yes I do agree with you. But what you are talking about has nothing to do with this thread.

Let me jog your memory:

This thread is about feelings of pride and whether or not they are justified.

You and others have said that because of historical factors it is not justifiable to be proud of being white/ European.

I explained that these historical factors were

1- Far from unique to whites
2- Wasn't driven purely by racial hatred
3- Something isn't worse purely because white people are doing it.
4- People who say dispute the above use the canard of "white supremacy" to demonise white people, primarily as part of a left wing oppression narrative to justify their agenda.

You have given ground on the first three points and ignored the last out of hand, instead resorting to ad hominem.

I think we're done here. /Thread
Reply 41
Original post by Starship Trooper

I think we're done here. /Thread

Several posts ago even! :biggrin:
Reply 42
Original post by hotpud
I guess that when you are marginalised or subverted, they can take your freedom and your dignity but they can't take your identity, so what better way to suck it the bad guys than stand up and tell them just how proud you are of that identity?

e.g. some people are gay / black / trans / not white. Get over it. Etc etc.

Doesnt that presuppose they are 'marginalised or subverted' (not sure what you mean by the latter?) theyre all equal before the law, if not elevated through recent legislation. At any rate, it still doesnt explain why if youre white its considered unspeakable to be proud of your heritage
Reply 43
Original post by Napp
Doesnt that presuppose they are 'marginalised or subverted' (not sure what you mean by the latter?) theyre all equal before the law, if not elevated through recent legislation. At any rate, it still doesnt explain why if youre white its considered unspeakable to be proud of your heritage

Of course all are equal before the law.

Alas, in this modern age of 2021, a mere 11 years after the Equalities Act 2010, there are still too many people who should know better but still just don't get it
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/59148419
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by hotpud

Alas, in this modern age of 2021, a mere 11 years after the Equalities Act 2010, there are still too many people who should know better but still just don't get it

The people who do worst at school are working white boys on fsm. As a teacher you should be supporting those children more because their least likely to go into higher education and pass GCSE's
Reply 45
Original post by looloo2134
The people who do worst at school are working white boys on fsm. As a teacher you should be supporting those children more because their least likely to go into higher education and pass GCSE's

I agree and you are correct although Romany Gypsy children and forces children do worse. And we do support them... when they are in school. But to lay it only one the shoulders of schools is to completely miss the bigger picture of what is a massively complex problem. But this is still only a small section of society as a whole.
Reply 46
Original post by hotpud

There seems to be something about sports that really brings out the worst in people (or simply the worst people) with football seeming to be a particular one. The number of kids appearing on the news for sending truly horrendous racist abuse to people is sad.
Original post by hotpud

I hate sports and cannot understand why people get so hot headed about it
Reply 48
Original post by Napp
There seems to be something about sports that really brings out the worst in people (or simply the worst people) with football seeming to be a particular one. The number of kids appearing on the news for sending truly horrendous racist abuse to people is sad.

Agreed. But this is the board of the supposedly noble Yorkshire Cricket Club filing racism under "high jinks and locker room banter". Racism and sexism travels across society from the very top to the very bottom.
Reply 49
I hate sports and cannot understand why people get so hot headed about it

I love sport but find watching it a bit pointless. Never-the-less, it crosses the whole of society so racism in sport is probably a pretty good indicator of racism is society at large.
Original post by hotpud
I love sport but find watching it a bit pointless. Never-the-less, it crosses the whole of society so racism in sport is probably a pretty good indicator of racism is society at large.

As i said i hate sports but it you watch a cricket match between Pakistan and India the behave of the fans is disgusting.
Reply 51
As i said i hate sports but it you watch a cricket match between Pakistan and India the behave of the fans is disgusting.

And as per the news article I posted - so are the board of directors sitting in their plush box.
Original post by hotpud

Ah yes the key to combatting "racism"- make a sweeping generalisation about a whole group of people/society based on the actions of a few people...

(Only valid against white people obviously)
Reply 53

Given Indians and Pakistanis are ethnically the same, that seems a slightly poor example for the argument regarding racism? They do indeed behave disgracefully, although not all of them by any means, but given the situation between the two countries and the fact the Pakistani government keeps funding terrorists to murder Indians its somewhat understandable there being a degree of.. animosity between them.
Reply 54
Ah yes the key to combatting "racism"- make a sweeping generalisation about a whole group of people/society based on the actions of a few people...

(Only valid against white people obviously)

What sweeping generalisations? I take it you didn't read the news article?

The board of Yorkshire Cricket Club conducted a review based on allegations of racist remarks made against one of their Pakistani players. Despite the player in question admitting he had made the remarks, the board concluded it was just humours banter and dismissed the complaint. My remarks are that the board should know better and the player who made the remarks should have been disciplined, just as he would have been if he had made such remarks in any other business of integrity with an anti-racism policy in place.

I was referring to one specific case. How is that sweeping generalisations?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by hotpud
I was referring to one specific case. How is that sweeping generalisations?

Original post by hotpud

My emphasis added.

I think s reasonable person would interpret that as you saying you believe that too many (presumably white British) people are predjudiced against others. If not please clarify what exact you meant.
Reply 56

My emphasis added.

I think s reasonable person would interpret that as you saying you believe that too many (presumably white British) people are predjudiced against others. If not please clarify what exact you meant.

One person who is prejudiced regardless of their colour is one too many. To suggest that is is acceptable or inevitable that some people will be prejudiced is surely to condone prejudice?

Employers and people in positions of power and responsibility should know better. It is their job to know better.
Original post by hotpud
One person who is prejudiced regardless of their colour is one too many. To suggest that is is acceptable or inevitable that some people will be prejudiced is surely to condone prejudice?

Employers and people in positions of power and responsibility should know better. It is their job to know better.

Mmm yes but I don't think that's a bad thing. Whilst I don't condone people being racially abused for their skin colour, I do think prejudice at a certain level is normal, healthy and can indeed be positive for society to a certain extent and that trying to clamp down on this has negative repercussions and can actually fuel the problems it (allegedly) sets out to solve.

(Being angry or sad for instance, aren't good things but I don't think politicians should try and prevent people from experiencing these emotions)

As for employers etc- no, it's their job to follow the law: however that doesn't mean the law is right
Reply 58
Mmm yes but I don't think that's a bad thing. Whilst I don't condone people being racially abused for their skin colour, I do think prejudice at a certain level is normal, healthy and can indeed be positive for society to a certain extent and that trying to clamp down on this has negative repercussions and can actually fuel the problems it (allegedly) sets out to solve.

(Being angry or sad for instance, aren't good things but I don't think politicians should try and prevent people from experiencing these emotions)

As for employers etc- no, it's their job to follow the law: however that doesn't mean the law is right

I'm really sorry but you have completely thrown me. How is being angry or sad different from being racially abused? It is like saying that bullying is good because it makes people grow a thick skin. No it doesn't. It psychologically scars people and in my case, for life. I am still as a grown adult dealing the the aftermath of the bullying I received at school. The cricketer in this case went on to have suicidal thoughts. And you say a bit of abuse a healthy?

Come on! Seriously?
:rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending