The Student Room Group

Just some thoughts about pride in your identity

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SHallowvale
Sure...? I don't really see what your point is. I was addressing the idea that LGBT 'pride' is meant to mean accomplishment, which it isn't, and I explained the origin of the word's usage.

You can ellipse all you want, but you're tying to define "pride" in a way that would render indifference to be null. As aforementioned, it is not enough to have an absense of shame in order to be proud. Pride requires feelings of satisfaction and pleasure - and as I've said - having feelings of immense satisfaction in your identity just doesn't make sense. If you want to appeal to history, immense feelings of pride in group identity rarely ends well.
Original post by Joel 96
You can ellipse all you want, but you're tying to define "pride" in a way that would render indifference to be null. As aforementioned, it is not enough to have an absense of shame in order to be proud. Pride requires feelings of satisfaction and pleasure - and as I've said - having feelings of immense satisfaction in your identity just doesn't make sense. If you want to appeal to history, immense feelings of pride in group identity rarely ends well.

I wasn't the one who defined it in that way though. I wasn't even alive when the first pride events were taking place. 😂 All I am doing is explaining the origin of the word.

It made sense why they used that word. Back when LGBT people were demonised it took a lot of courage to be open about your sexuality, especially in public. Having that courage was something to be proud of. People definitely took satisfaction and pleasure in that.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending