The Student Room Group

Are Ice cream producers inherently anti-black?

Excessive consumption of sugar is a risk factor in the development of type two diabetes. According to a study that I’ve just read, those with TD2 have double the mortality rate of those that don’t, in short it’s not something that you want.
So where does race come in to this?
According to an abstract of an article I’ve just found - Among minority ethnic communities, the prevalence [of diabetes] is alarmingly high, approximately three to five times higher than in the white British population. Particularly striking is the earlier onset of Type 2 diabetes, which occurs some 10-12 years younger, with a significant proportion of cases being diagnosed before the age of 40 years.’

Surely this means that ice cream producers, particularly ice cream producers who present themselves as having the best interests of ethic minorities at heart racist?
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I can't tell if you're being facetious.
Original post by Sabertooth
I can't tell if you're being facetious.

I don’t think diabetes is a joke and neither do I think that ethnic minority death are a joke.
Original post by Cancelled Alice
I don’t think diabetes is a joke and neither do I think that ethnic minority death are a joke.

No, but you suggest that somehow ice cream producers are responsible for the deaths.
No, but you suggest that somehow ice cream producers are responsible for the deaths.

Ice cream producers use advertising tactics to influence consumers decision making. So yes, I think that they hold a level of responsibility.
Ice cream producers use advertising tactics to influence consumers decision making. So yes, I think that they hold a level of responsibility.

:laugh: good one.
:laugh: good one.

It’s not a joke. I’ve got a particular ice cream company in mind who can’t seem to stop making ‘woke’ political statements presumably as a way of advertising.
It’s not a joke. I’ve got a particular ice cream company in mind who can’t seem to stop making ‘woke’ political statements presumably as a way of advertising.

It sounds like a joke.

Are you going to attack car manufacturers for making cars that reduce the amount of exercise black people get? A big part of diabetes II is lack of exercise.
Reply 8
Excessive consumption of sugar is a risk factor in the development of type two diabetes. According to a study that I’ve just read, those with TD2 have double the mortality rate of those that don’t, in short it’s not something that you want.
According to an abstract of an article I’ve just found - Among minority ethnic communities, the prevalence [of diabetes] is alarmingly high, approximately three to five times higher than in the white British population. Particularly striking is the earlier onset of Type 2 diabetes, which occurs some 10-12 years younger, with a significant proportion of cases being diagnosed before the age of 40 years.’

Surely this means that ice cream producers, particularly ice cream producers who present themselves as having the best interests of ethic minorities at heart racist?

This an excellent example of adding 2 + 2 and getting 5 with all variations of "clutching straws" thrown in for good measure.

Next....!

Ben and Jerry's?
ethnic minorities are often discriminated against in healthcare (ergo more likely to not receive treatment/diagnosis for pre-diabetes). they're also more likely to be poor. good food (like fresh fruits and vegetables) are more expensive per calorie than less healthy food, making it harder to eat well when you are poor. food deserts also disproportionately effect ethnic minorities (ergo, ethnic minorities are less likely to have access to healthy diets, and more likely to develop diabetes).
disappointing that this has to be spelled out for some people.
PCOS also makes you prone to diabetes, if i eat a bucket of ice cream everyday and get type 2 diabetes that doesnt make the ice cream producer responsible

But i think you know that

I've never been blacks around an ice-cream van. It's always people whiter then the ice cream. Blacks tend to go to Nandos anyway.
Original post by hotpud
This an excellent example of adding 2 + 2 and getting 5 with all variations of "clutching straws" thrown in for good measure.

Next....!

What would the ‘correct’ conclusion be?
Reply 14
What would the ‘correct’ conclusion be?

Quite simply, "It's more complicated than reading one study." Sure sugar consumption is a factor in diabetes but so are lots of other factors.

But to suggest ice cream manufacturers are racist - seriously?
Original post by hotpud
Quite simply, "It's more complicated than reading one study." Sure sugar consumption is a factor in diabetes but so are lots of other factors.

But to suggest ice cream manufacturers are racist - seriously?

I don’t think that it matters that there is more than one factor at play when thinking about racism.
Reply 16
I don’t think that it matters that there is more than one factor at play when thinking about racism.

I am sure there is, but I fail to see what ice cream has anything to do with it. You seem to have taken racism, ice cream, diabetes and Asians as three entities and attempted to find a link.

Black people and 'ethnic minorities' have agency over themselves. They as individual human beings can choose to live an unhealthy lifestyle or they can choose not to. The implication you are making here is frankly highly racist in and of itself, you are effectively suggesting that non-white people in general are somehow too stupid to resist malicious marketing campaigns geared toward unhealthy products.
Original post by Chadmiral Nelson
Black people and 'ethnic minorities' have agency over themselves. They as individual human beings can choose to live an unhealthy lifestyle or they can choose not to. The implication you are making here is frankly highly racist in and of itself, you are effectively suggesting that non-white people in general are somehow too stupid to resist malicious marketing campaigns geared toward unhealthy products.

Based upon their other posts, OP is just trolling to start drama. I sincerely doubt they actually believe this.
Original post by GlenCacao
Based upon their other posts, OP is just trolling to start drama. I sincerely doubt they actually believe this.

Excuse me? My other posts???
I no longer believe this, this is racism via low expectations, ice cream is ethical.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending