The Student Room Group

31 migrants dead after boat sinks in English Channel

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Embrace it!

I agree of course that France should treat them better, especially in the camps . It does however take in far more asylum seekers than we do.

It's a difficult one. I don't think any particular country should have to take on far more refugees than other safe countries simply because they are geographically closer to the country of origin. I think safe countries should offer to 'spread' them out more evenly between them.

No question that France is happy to see many go to the UK. But I do also question what would happen if the roles were reversed. If there were thousands of refugees desparate to leave the UK to get to France, how much money, resource and effort would we be putting in to stop them leaving?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by DSilva
Refugees are under no legal obligation to claim asylum in the first 'safe' country they arrive in. We signed up to the convention in 1951 and remain members of it.

If you had been forced to flee your country due to war and persecution, you'd much rather go to a country where you could be reunited with your family, and one that actuslly treated you like a human being wouldn't you?

Read up on what it's actually like in the refugee camps for many of them https://mobile.twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1463106096336363521

First thing is to re-read the bit about flying. Its not about the refugees flying lol. Your entire first paragraph is a pointless ramble about something i never said 🤣. Ironic you tell me to educate myself when reading is clearly a struggle 😋

They may not be under any obligation to claim asylum in the first safe country. However, if they want to avoid dying, they shouldn’t take unnecessary risks because it’s not the right potato salad. You’re implying that France, Germany, Italy, Spain etc are somehow bad for refuges while at the same time the other guys tell us that many times more chooses to stay in those countries and you tell us how much better France is financially for them. So, to say they come over here because its crap in Europe seems a bit hollow lol.

Also to say that they come here for family is hardly worth the risk of dying in the channel when as I point out there are plenty of way that family could come to see them.

And to say they come here because they speak English is frankly hilariously stupid.
I dont think France is that bad lol. But as the French found some time ago, it’s easier to get to France from Germany than it is to get to the UK.
Reply 23
Original post by Djtoodles
First thing is to re-read the bit about flying. Its not about the refugees flying lol. Your entire first paragraph is a pointless ramble about something i never said 🤣. Ironic you tell me to educate myself when reading is clearly a struggle 😋

They may not be under any obligation to claim asylum in the first safe country. However, if they want to avoid dying, they shouldn’t take unnecessary risks because it’s not the right potato salad. You’re implying that France, Germany, Italy, Spain etc are somehow bad for refuges while at the same time the other guys tell us that many times more chooses to stay in those countries and you tell us how much better France is financially for them. So, to say they come over here because its crap in Europe seems a bit hollow lol.

Also to say that they come here for family is hardly worth the risk of dying in the channel when as I point out there are plenty of way that family could come to see them.

And to say they come here because they speak English is frankly hilariously stupid.

If you're going to make a silly point, like you did when you suggested the refugees could get a flight, then you should at least be a man and own it, rather than pretending you never said it.

I've given you several reasons why refugees try to come here from France, you just choose to ignore them. But alas here goes again:

1. Most have family here
2. Some (but not all) are treated awfully in France, just look at the camps
3. Many speak the langauge here - if you had to flee and start a life in a new country, you'd choose somehwere that you might actually have a chabve of getting by in wouldn't you?

4. Many fought on behalf of or with the British forces abroad
5. Many feel they have a better chance of having their asylum claim accepted in the UK

And no there aren't 'plenty of ways' they could see their family. Unless of course you think they could just fly over 🤣🤣🤣. And it's a ludicrous point anyway, because the refugees want to live with their spouse or kids or parents (often refugees themselves) rather then visit them for a couple of days. Not to mention the fact that their family in the UK are also likely to be refugees too.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 24
I dont think France is that bad lol. But as the French found some time ago, it’s easier to get to France from Germany than it is to get to the UK.

Ah its so great you're able to tell everyone just how easy it is to get by as a refugee in France. I assume you have a lot of personal experience and that you are someone who's actually been a refugee in France or at the very least worked with refugees in France.

Yeah? 🙄
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by DSilva
If you're going to make a silly point, like you did when you suggested the refugees could get a flight, then you should at least be a man and own it, rather than pretending you never said it.

Lol ill give you a clue. Why would a refugee trying to get to the UK from Europe, catch a plane from the UK to Europe. Read. It. Again.

Original post by DSilva

I've given you several reasons why refugees try to come here from France, you just choose to ignore them. But alas here goes again:

1. Most have family here
2. Some (but not all) are treated awfully in France, just look at the camps
3. Many speak the langauge here - if you had to flee and start a life in a new country, you'd choose somehwere that you might actually have a chabve of getting by in wouldn't you?
4. Many fought on behalf of or with the British forces abroad
5. Many feel they have a better chance of having their asylum claim accepted in the UK

So lets look at this logically. None of those things above are really a reason to risk your life, especially one something which has a pretty sketchy chance of success. So you can either accept a not quite optimal situation and be alive, with the aim of moving towards your optimal situation. Or you can go for broke to get the optimal situation but it doesnt matter in the end because you die trying.

Original post by DSilva

And no there aren't 'plenty of ways' they could see their family. Unless of course you think they could just fly over 🤣🤣🤣. And it's a ludicrous point anyway, because the refugees want to live with their spouse or kids or parents (often refugees themselves) rather then visit them for a couple of days. Not to mention the fact that their family in the UK are also likely to be refugees too.

See part 1 for why you cant read. Also cant see your family at all when your being eaten by fish can you.
Reply 26
Lol ill give you a clue. Why would a refugee trying to get to the UK from Europe, catch a plane from the UK to Europe. Read. It. Again.

So lets look at this logically. None of those things above are really a reason to risk your life, especially one something which has a pretty sketchy chance of success. So you can either accept a not quite optimal situation and be alive, with the aim of moving towards your optimal situation. Or you can go for broke to get the optimal situation but it doesnt matter in the end because you die trying.

See part 1 for why you cant read. Also cant see your family at all when your being eaten by fish can you.

You stated that if they wanted to see their family it was only a £60 flight. Which is such a silly statement on so many levels.

It may not seem a good reason to you. But you're in an extremely priveleged situation in comparison so who are you to judge? You won the jackpot being born in the UK. You will never be in the situation where you're forced to flee your country to save your life, often separated from your immediate family in the process, and treated horribly in the country you arrive in. How on earth can you say for certainty that you wouldn't risk your life if you were ever in the same situation? Most people would do anything and risk anything to be reunited with their spouse or kid.

Your apparent lack of compassion and empathy for some of the most vulnerable people in the world is alarming.

The absolute desparation these people must feel to risk their lives like this is a desparation you will never know or understand.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by DSilva
Many will have family in the UK, often a spouse or child/parent. Others may speak English but not French. The refugee camps in France are abysmal and inhuman and many believe they will have a better chance of being treated like an actual human being in the UK.

Lots of reasons. You don't get in a dingy like that knowing there's a high risk you'll die unless you're in an unimaginably desparate situation.

Greed is your answer, they think they can get more in the UK, more money, more benefits, free housing, etc, etc they envisage the UK like it's the City of Gold. They don't know or look at the downsides because they are so blinded by greed. It makes them oblivious to the freezing cold waters which they are perilously centimetres from in their overcrowded unseaworthy dingies. It makes them oblivious that if they plunge in there they will die almost instantly. They could have settled for France yet they foolishly risk their lives chasing more. Having family, friends or knowing the language isn't good enough reason to risk their life, greed is the only thing that drives them.

These are real asylum seekers they are economic illegal immigrants. They don't wish to use the legal immigration process they just want in quickly by exploiting issues in the asylum process to get more for themselves simple as. Just look at how people used to go stupid in the Black Friday sales to see what greed can do to some people. Pretty comical seeing those idiots charging into superstores and duffing each other up over some cheap TV discount. Same type of mentality but from a different place. Time we got tough on illegal immigration to sort it out for their sake and ours.
Reply 28
Original post by Gavin2016
Greed is your answer, they think they can get more in the UK, more money, more benefits, free housing, etc, etc they envisage the UK like it's the City of Gold. They don't know or look at the downsides because they are so blinded by greed. It makes them oblivious to the freezing cold waters which they are perilously centimetres from in their overcrowded unseaworthy dingies. It makes them oblivious that if they plunge in there they will die almost instantly. They could have settled for France yet they foolishly risk their lives chasing more. Having family, friends or knowing the language isn't good enough reason to risk their life, greed is the only thing that drives them.

These are real asylum seekers they are economic illegal immigrants. They don't wish to use the legal immigration process they just want in quickly by exploiting issues in the asylum process to get more for themselves simple as. Just look at how people used to go stupid in the Black Friday sales to see what greed can do to some people. Pretty comical seeing those idiots charging into superstores and duffing each other up over some cheap TV discount. Same type of mentality but from a different place. Time we got tough on illegal immigration to sort it out for their sake and ours.

Educate yourself.
(edited 2 years ago)
I personally don't think that the Tories will do anything to sort the situation out. The Home Secretary, Pritti Patel's response of going back to the French and repeating the same discussion over again kind of told me that more time will end up passing by with nothing meaningful happening.

I personally think this has all gone far enough and countless economic illegal immigrants coming here and never getting deported is getting to the point where it is going to have a real bad impact on society. Already we have seen the Liverpool bomb attack situation. Then off course there are problems with further straining our housing shortage problem, furthering a low pay economy, employment or legal citizens, etc. I don't think these people should be allowed to force themselves in and take the pee out of our laws by flagrantly flouting them in coming here illegally.

The only party currently to my mind that I find that seem they are willing to grapple with such a situation in a detailed manner are UKIP, on their website they state:

https://www.ukip.org/ukip-policies/policy-immigration

To me it seems the way forward on all of this. I decided to join up as I can see that unless enough people in this country put something towards supporting a party that is willing to take such a line then in a short space of time we will have a really bad problem on our hands, more and more are coming and it's all building up into a bad picture for society in which we have to live. I personally don't plan to be prominent in being a part of UKIP but I feel even joining up can help support the cause from the membership fee. It's in fact the only political party I have ever joined but I think unless people wake up now upon seeing the stuff we've seen on this of recent we're going to regret lounging back on our laurels while it all goes to sh*t around us.
As harsh as it may be we must stand tall against these would be migrants. We can no more allow this incident to dictate our asylum policy than we allowed the death of Joe Cox to dictate our Brexit votes.

We do have obligations to those that have done us a duty, I agree (Afghan translators and the like) but most of these migrants are not of any value to us and nor do we have a duty to them.

We must remain objective, most of these people could live happy lives in a peaceful state like Turkey but they choose to enter Europe and then flow to the UK. They choose to bypass an immigrantion system that would declare them to be of no value to us having passed through a host of safe states.

We have immigration filters for a reason. We must put our own people first.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by DSilva
Educate yourself.

Perhaps you should change your username to Dopey Lol. You really think people brave cold icy waters to go to a generally colder climate than the one they are in (France) because of the language, family connections, friends, etc in this country.

Over time people have gotten too soft in this country, so soft that they are easily taken in and not at all street wise. Dropped in their country many people here wouldn't last five minutes, they would be taken advantage of every which way and left with nothing. I'm not saying they are bad people but they see an opportunity to get wealthy and comfortable and they'll push aside any concern for their safety, laws, morals, values, etc.

Here too if the opportunity presents itself they wouldn't think twice of taking all they could if it deprives us, even if it deprives us in a bad way. The East Europeans did/do it here, they take as much work as they can and don't care if they are taking it of UK citizens, it's all greed driven. They'll be friendly to your face but they won't care about taking everything from you given the chance. They're after what they can get, I don't begrudge them but I don't find it admirable either. It's something that can screw up all our lives, no work, low pay, no life and if we don't stand up for ourselves that is what we'll end up with, they wouldn't think twice if they were in our shoes.
Original post by DSilva
It may not seem a good reason to you. But you're in an extremely priveleged situation in comparison so who are you to judge? You won the jackpot being born in the UK. You will never be in the situation where you're forced to flee your country to save your life, often separated from your immediate family in the process, and treated horribly in the country you arrive in. How on earth can you say for certainty that you wouldn't risk your life if you were ever in the same situation? Most people would do anything and risk anything to be reunited with their spouse or kid.

Your apparent lack of compassion and empathy for some of the most vulnerable people in the world is alarming.

The absolute desparation these people must feel to risk their lives like this is a desparation you will never know or understand.

The bit in bold is correct the rest I'm afraid is rubbish. These people aren't in a desperate situation they are economic illegal immigrants driven by greed nothing else. Yes I and most other UK citizens have hit the jackpot being born & living in a wealthy country and are indeed privileged. Unfortunately this is not a fair world and allowing a load of greed driven illegal immigrants to have their way won't make it any fairer. If they stuck it out in their own country they might make the situation in their country better, fairer, but they don't want to do that, they want to come here for easy pickings. Being privileged means you have something worth something, if you have something worth something then those that don't have it will want it. Don't think for one moment we can all have it. The more it's divided up the less everyone has off it whether it's accomodation space (housing), health service availability, jobs, pay, etc. Yes people working hard can help create more but that's only to a point and it's not instantaneous. Generally the more resources that are shared the less there are and at some point most people will end up living a grotty, squalid, poor life if anyone is allowed to rock up.
Original post by Gavin2016
Perhaps you should change your username to Dopey Lol. You really think people brave cold icy waters to go to a generally colder climate than the one they are in (France) because of the language, family connections, friends, etc in this country.

Over time people have gotten too soft in this country, so soft that they are easily taken in and not at all street wise. Dropped in their country many people here wouldn't last five minutes, they would be taken advantage of every which way and left with nothing. I'm not saying they are bad people but they see an opportunity to get wealthy and comfortable and they'll push aside any concern for their safety, laws, morals, values, etc.

Here too if the opportunity presents itself they wouldn't think twice of taking all they could if it deprives us, even if it deprives us in a bad way. The East Europeans did/do it here, they take as much work as they can and don't care if they are taking it of UK citizens, it's all greed driven. They'll be friendly to your face but they won't care about taking everything from you given the chance. They're after what they can get, I don't begrudge them but I don't find it admirable either. It's something that can screw up all our lives, no work, low pay, no life and if we don't stand up for ourselves that is what we'll end up with, they wouldn't think twice if they were in our shoes.

It is ironic that you accuse others on this thread of being “taken in”, when you have fallen hook line and sinker for every self-serving lie fed to you by politicians and the gutter press on this subject. It would be funny if it wasn’t so deeply depressing.
Original post by legalhelp
It is ironic that you accuse others on this thread of being “taken in”, when you have fallen hook line and sinker for every self-serving lie fed to you by politicians and the gutter press on this subject. It would be funny if it wasn’t so deeply depressing.

I don't believe that, it's all too easy to think that all politicians lie all of the time. I think done lie some of the time others aren't up front about stuff. I do firmly believe that some of them are there because they wish to make society better whether they have the right answer or not. Several years ago we had a referendum to leave the EU and eventually we did, Brexit got done. So I don't wholeheartedly believe politicians all hold positions and have no intention of following through on them. UKIP state their position on Illegal Immigration quite clearly. For their whole party it's the main theme now that we have left the EU. Like their theme was to leave the EU I believe that they are full of people that wholeheartedly want to end illegal immigration, enthusiastically so I believe. Currently they are the only party that I feel are ardent enough to stop illegal immigration should they get a hand in government. A General Election in 2024 is a just a little over two years away already. If they can get enough seats to mean that the Tories would have to go into a coalition government with them then they could get control over tackling illegal immigration. Even the threat of many Tories losing their seats as a result of splitting their vote share could prompt the Tories into action along the lines that UKIP suggest. Labour and the Liberals I don't think have a hope in the next General Election. Labour are now so detached from their core working class voters that they have no clue what their working class voters really want including myself, it's a shame decades ago they used to be good now they are only interested in their own libertarian ideologies nothing that really helps the working class.
Reply 35
Original post by Rakas21
As harsh as it may be we must stand tall against these would be migrants. We can no more allow this incident to dictate our asylum policy than we allowed the death of Joe Cox to dictate our Brexit votes.

We do have obligations to those that have done us a duty, I agree (Afghan translators and the like) but most of these migrants are not of any value to us and nor do we have a duty to them.

We must remain objective, most of these people could live happy lives in a peaceful state like Turkey but they choose to enter Europe and then flow to the UK. They choose to bypass an immigrantion system that would declare them to be of no value to us having passed through a host of safe states.

We have immigration filters for a reason. We must put our own people first.

The entire point fo asylum is not to assess whether the individuals would "add value" (whatever that means). The point is to offer refuge to persons who have had to flee their home countries due to war or persecution.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by DSilva
The entire point fo asylum is not to assess whether the individuals would "add value" (whatever that means). The point is to offer refuge to persons who have had to flee their home countries due to war or persecution.

There are more than 180 states in this world, about 100 of them reasonably safe.

They have a right to flee persecution, they don't have a right to turn up at the global equivelent of a 4 star hotel.
Original post by username5854605
R.I.P to them, they all tried to come to the UK for a better life.
Legal immigration is one thing but illegal is another, resources are stretched, housing, NHS waiting lists and services are being pushed to the limits.
What would the solution be to deter people coming illegally?

There is plenty of housing stock in North East England where Migrants can be housed. The NE is the only part of Britain that is actually undergoing de-population as most people don’t want to live there and houses are difficult to sell even though they’re very cheap. So if the government bought up homes and gave sellers their asking price it would suit everyone. Migrants would get a home. Sellers would get their house sold and be able to move away, empty houses would be occupied. There’s whole towns that could be used to house the migrants with access to social care, education and NHS etc. With houses averaging £25K it wouldn’t cost the government much. It would also allow a multicultural population to grow. It would suit everyone.
Reply 38
Original post by Rakas21
There are more than 180 states in this world, about 100 of them reasonably safe.

They have a right to flee persecution, they don't have a right to turn up at the global equivelent of a 4 star hotel.

Actually they do have a right to choose where to seek asylum. There is no requirement in law to seek asylum in the first safe 'country'.

Put it this way, if you were forced out of the UK due to persecution and had to start a new life, you'd try and get to America right where you speak the langauge and may have family, rather than Mexico?
Original post by DSilva
Actually they do have a right to choose where to seek asylum. There is no requirement in law to seek asylum in the first safe 'country'.

Put it this way, if you were forced out of the UK due to persecution and had to start a new life, you'd try and get to America right where you speak the langauge and may have family, rather than Mexico?

If you had to transverse an icy cold channel where you stand a high chance of dying them common sense should tell you to content yourself with Mexico. Your family members would likely prefer you not come to them dead and prefer you to stop at Mexico, that's if they have any sense.

The agreement that the EU have with its member states is that asylum seekers should register in the first state they come into as a safe state. That they are not doing this but picking and choosing shows that they are not asylum seekers but illegal economic migrants. Desperate people are grateful for the first help offered. Asylum seekers are supposed to be desperate people in order to be seeking asylum. These aren't desperate people they are greedy people.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending