The Student Room Group

Managing GCSEs and an eating disorder

Trigger warning: Eating disorder
I’ve struggled with an ED ever since I was nine but in Y10 and 11 it got a lot worse and I lost a lot of weight. But now I’ve gained TWO kilos in the last few weeks because I’ve been eating so much?? But I’m scared to keep restricting because I have my mocks in January and I am quite a high achiever so will be aiming for 8s and mostly 9s. Will restriction/ED affect my revision or my mock grades? I know it sounds silly and juvenile but I cannot fathom eating a normal amount or gaining weight it feels genuinely horrible.
- E
i cant imagine how difficult it must be for you, but to be a high achiever and to be aiming for those grades, you seem to be doing brilliantly thus far! if you think your eating disorder may impact your grades, dont hesitate to talk to your teachers or your parents/carers. i know that reaching out may seem challenging and potentially scary, but talking about it to trusted people can really help you to build some strategies to help you maintain good grades, whilst looking after yourself at the same time. If you really really dont want to talk to your teachers or carers, then perhaps reach out to some friends, maybe you guys can hold study sessions together, or you can just talk about whats bothering you to them, or take your mind off it completely and go out for the day.
what you are saying does not sound silly by any means, there is nothing for you to feel silly about in the slightest, however, if you do feel that your eating disorder is beginning to have a great impact on your life, then as i said before, you really should reach out to someone- there is no shame asking for help.
well done for everything that you have done for your GCSEs so far, I wish you good luck!
My eating disorder was pretty bad throughout my GCSEs and retrospectively, it definitely did affect my ability to study and my results. I did force myself to eat something before every single exam though in the hope that it would make me perform better (and I think it did). I hope you are getting some help for your eating disorder and that things get better for you soon. I had my ED well into my 20s and I wouldn't wish that on anyone.
Hey, I’ve struggled with a restrictive ED since I was 11, I’m now 23 and it flared up during my GCSE exams and then in the final year of my degree.

When I’m not taking in enough nutrition, my brain definitely does not function properly, and I ended up so unwell last year that it almost cost me my degree, despite achieving all high grades until this point. I’m incredibly lucky I had access to the right kind of support, so if you’re able to speak to someone and try to access help, please do it ❤️

If you aren’t able to speak to anyone or access help through a GP, I know the Beat website have a lot of resources and an information line which you can call and speak to someone, and they can offer some advice 😌

I’m not fully recovered yet but the quality of life I have now is so much better than the one I spent in and out of hospital, and studying with adequate nutrition is so much easier than trying to study with an undernourished brain and a head full of anxiety. It definitely doesn’t sound silly, I can now eat things I genuinely NEVER imagined I would be able to. I wish I’d sought help at your age, therapy is really hard but it’s so much harder losing what are supposed to be the best years of your life, and potentially jeopardising your future, to an eating disorder (from someone who did exactly that) ❤️

I hope it gets easier and good luck with your exams ☺️
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
Hey, I’ve struggled with a restrictive ED since I was 11, I’m now 23 and it flared up during my GCSE exams and then in the final year of my degree.

When I’m not taking in enough nutrition, my brain definitely does not function properly, and I ended up so unwell last year that it almost cost me my degree, despite achieving all high grades until this point. I’m incredibly lucky I had access to the right kind of support, so if you’re able to speak to someone and try to access help, please do it ❤️

If you aren’t able to speak to anyone or access help through a GP, I know the Beat website have a lot of resources and an information line which you can call and speak to someone, and they can offer some advice 😌

I’m not fully recovered yet but the quality of life I have now is so much better than the one I spent in and out of hospital, and studying with adequate nutrition is so much easier than trying to study with an undernourished brain and a head full of anxiety. It definitely doesn’t sound silly, I can now eat things I genuinely NEVER imagined I would be able to. I wish I’d sought help at your age, theThrapy is really hard but it’s so much harder losing what are supposed to be the best years of your life, and potentially jeopardising your future, to an eating disorder (from someone who did exactly that) ❤️

I hope it gets easier and good luck with your exams ☺️

Thank you, I'm trying to eat more. XX
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous #1
Trigger warning: Eating disorder
I’ve struggled with an ED ever since I was nine but in Y10 and 11 it got a lot worse and I lost a lot of weight. But now I’ve gained TWO kilos in the last few weeks because I’ve been eating so much?? But I’m scared to keep restricting because I have my mocks in January and I am quite a high achiever so will be aiming for 8s and mostly 9s. Will restriction/ED affect my revision or my mock grades? I know it sounds silly and juvenile but I cannot fathom eating a normal amount or gaining weight it feels genuinely horrible.
- E

Hi, I was wondering how it went for you? I know I'm 2 years late but I'm going through a similar situation and have my gcses in two months and I'm actually so scared. Thankss 💗

Quick Reply

Latest