The Student Room Group

Why are British people proud of NHS?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by niloomiloo
No we shouldn't be proud of it because it isn't functional. Read my post.

Name a functional healthcare system
for me, it's the equality we show everyone no matter their job or income which I am most proud of the NHS. Using the US as the example, people on a lower income are treated as lower class citizens with regards to healthcare and often have to choose between rent and healthcare. Life and death is treated more as a commodity with that kind of system
Edit: also for the elderly, you essentially pay into a pot your whole life, for when you need it so essentially a rainy day fund you don't control
(edited 2 years ago)
I do get what you mean though things will have to be done differently

So do you have a better idea? If so, what would it be something like in America?
Original post by StriderHort
...scams the Americans get hit with.

If you have to make yourself look good by the standards of American healthcare system, that in itself doesn't speak very highly of your system.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by summerbirdreads
Imagine going to a hospital and you're in immediate need of an emergency surgery.... but the problem is, you need to pay xxx amount right there and then in order for them to go through with the surgery or else you're dead.

"Sorry big chap, we don't accept Discover, fill in this form and we'll see what we can do"

"Bless you! and you'll be able to treat my agonising pain and bleeding?"

"Oh, no, this is an application for a Amex card, you'll hear back within 6-8 week but I'll get 50$ referral if you're accepted!" :borat:
There is always room for improvement, but just because that's the reason doesn't mean that we have to stop being 'proud' of it, as you put it, nor to stop funding it.
Each of us are continuously contributing to the NHS from our income, it is not free

In that case why aren't you complaining about how the firefighters arent' "free"? Would you rather not pay anything towards the fire service but wait for them to show up when your house is burning around you and start shouting through the blaze "ok if you could give me the long number on the front of your card to start with"?

Spoiler

Have you just discovered the concept of public services and how they are funded by taxation or something? Bizarre hill to die on.
(edited 2 years ago)
RIP Dec, you'd have loved this thread

It’s not perfect, certainly and there are many many areas needing improvement, but it’s definitely functional - feel free to step inside any hospital and see for yourself.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by ROTL94
RIP Dec, you'd have loved this thread

:moon: - that's so true.
the security of knowing that if i was in a dire situation i could get healthcare without the added stresses of costs.
How is a system that makes you wait 3 months or more to see a doctor can be considered functional, let alone something to be proud of?

I'd say that almost other countries with similar publicly funded medical systems have the same problems. You still have to wait if it isn't something urgent, take Singapore, Hong Kong, etc. In the end, even for the UK, how long you have to wait depends on the population of the area you live in. If it isn't somewhere populous, you don't have to wait as long as 3 months for regular check-ups or doctor consultations.
Original post by Reality Check
How is a system which is free at the point of delivery and available to all based on clinical need rather than ability to pay not something to be proud of?

wow a publicly funded service! like magic isn't it?
If you have to make yourself look good by the standards is American healthcare system, that in itself doesn't speak very highly of your system.

That's reaching a bit and as others have noted, you're picking a strangle hill to die on and not being very objective.
Reply 35
How is a system that makes you wait 3 months or more to see a doctor can be considered functional, let alone something to be proud of?

Twisted your ankle?
UK: Let's sort this out for you :smile:
America: Hmm that's going to cost you 15 grand, would you like a receipt for that? Oh the initial check up is another 600 bucks, sorry about that lad

Because solely private healthcare is awful. Becoming bankrupt due to an illness that was not your fault is preposterous. People in other countries take taxis to the hospital as ambulances are too expensive. The NHS in my opinion is the best thing about this country, and I hope to work in the NHS one day. Changes are being implemented to make the NHS more efficient but people like you complaining doesn’t do anything to help.
That's reaching a bit and as others have noted, you're picking a strangle hill to die on and not being very objective.

he's right. it's because of the US 'die if you can't afford insurance' system which is responsible for brainwashing Brits into thinking their system of public healthcare is somehow special
Original post by ashvinsingh
Because solely private healthcare is awful. Becoming bankrupt due to an illness that was not your fault is preposterous. People in other countries take taxis to the hospital as ambulances are too expensive. The NHS in my opinion is the best thing about this country, and I hope to work in the NHS one day. Changes are being implemented to make the NHS more efficient but people like you complaining doesn’t do anything to help.

Absolutely. In my experience, it seems to be only native British people who whine on about the NHS and its shortcomings. Foreigners, ex-pats and anyone who has been unfortunate enough to have an accident abroad tend to feel differently about it.
Never had to wait longer than a week in all my life.

depends what it’s for but yh same

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending