The Student Room Group

Why are British people proud of NHS?

How is a system that makes you wait 3 months or more to see a doctor can be considered functional, let alone something to be proud of?
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
In my experience, the fact that costs are subsidized and affordable to most people is what makes the NHS important. Not everyone can afford medical care, and the idea of waiting to die from ailments instead of seeking medical care in privatized medical care systems is just sad honestly.
Because you don't end up in a massive amount of debt after surgery, you don't have to take an uber to the hospital, and medications like insulin is actually affordable unlike the states. I'm not saying that it's perfect and there are definitely improvements to be made, but it's a lot better than what Americans have.
Original post by niloomiloo
How is a system that makes you wait 3 months or more to see a doctor can be considered functional, let alone something to be proud of?

How is a system which is free at the point of delivery and available to all based on clinical need rather than ability to pay not something to be proud of?
the NHS is creaking under the weight of covid deniers and people who choose unhealthy lifestyles, but they still manage to provide excellent treatment for patients.
Reply 5
It's free and the men and women who run it work hard everyday to ensure we get quality care. In the great US of A you are seen more as a customer than a patient.
Reply 6
Original post by Reality Check
How is a system which is free at the point of delivery and available to all based on clinical need rather than ability to pay not something to be proud of?

Each of us are continuously contributing to the NHS from our income, it is not free
(edited 2 years ago)
3 months or more to see a doctor

Never had to wait longer than a week in all my life.
Reply 8
Each of us are continuously contributing to the NHS from our income, it not free

Free at the point of delivery is not the same as free, so your objection is moot.
Each of us are continuously contributing to the NHS from our income, it is not free

Learn to read properly. I did not say it was free. I said it was free at the point of delivery.
This question would be easily answered if you drew up a table of pros and cons of the NHS vs other prominent healthcare systems around the world. You can share your findings with us :smile:
Original post by gjd800
Free at the point of delivery is not the same as free, so your objection is moot.

How does it being free at the point of delivery matters if we're paying for it anyway? It's just a different way of payment
How does it being free at the point of delivery matters if we're paying for it anyway? It's just a different way of payment

What is your point then? We shouldn't be proud of the NHS because we have to pay for it?

Surely you can do better than that? Even Boris could do better about the non-party party than that today at PMQs!
I'd rather wait 12 weeks for non-urgent treatment than have to bankrupt myself if my partner got pregnant or broke their leg.

Or perhaps it's better to rely on a Gofundme campaign if I get cancer?

Because 'We' is very broad in terms of NI payments, age, productivity whatever. The majority of people on TSR pay sweet hee haw for the NHS :redface:..... but can still turn up for treatment without fear of the kind of 100k+ bill or insurance scams the Americans get hit with.

It's a kind of social welfare, not only meant for ourselves but also for others that do not have living conditions as decent as ours. The idea is that if everyone is contributing, the country can afford to charge medical care and treatments at minimum costs for citizens and other registered individuals.

Imagine going to a hospital and you're in immediate need of an emergency surgery.... but the problem is, you need to pay xxx amount right there and then in order for them to go through with the surgery or else you're dead.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Reality Check
What is your point then? We shouldn't be proud of the NHS because we have to pay for it?

No we shouldn't be proud of it because it isn't functional. Read my post.

My point in the previous post was 'it's free, take what you get' isn't an argument against its criticisms.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 18

I pay 300 quid a month NI, but I need care that will cost 100,000 quid. It takes 28 years for me to pay in 100k into the system, but I don't pay that out when I get the care, and I'm not bankrupt.

It's not hard, la
(edited 2 years ago)
No we shouldn't be proud of it because it isn't functional. Read my post.

Parsing meaning isn't your strong point, is it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending