The Student Room Group

Is UK Edexcel easier than international Edexcel, for Alevels maths?

Original post by Brahiti

I would say that UK Edexel is slightly easier.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Den987
I would say that Edexel is slightly easier.

Yes, but which one? UK or international?
Original post by Brahiti
Yes, but which one? UK or international?

UK Edexel
(Just re-read and noticed I forgot the main word. Oops. Sorry about that)
:giggle::giggle::giggle:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Brahiti

Why?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5

Because I can give both so I need to know which one is easier
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Brahiti
Because I can give both so I need to know which one is easier

Which one is the rest of your class doing, or are you self-teaching?
Reply 7
Original post by Doonesbury
Which one is the rest of your class doing, or are you self-teaching?

I'm at a crossroads right now so I can pick either one. I can pick a class that teaches either one, and I can self-study either one. I just really need to know which one give students a better, more likely chance of getting an A.
Reply 8
Original post by Den987
UK Edexel
(Just re-read and noticed I forgot the main word. Oops. Sorry about that)
:giggle::giggle::giggle:

Why would you say the UK Edexcel is easier? Don't they have the same course and same grade thresholds?
Original post by Brahiti
Why would you say the UK Edexcel is easier? Don't they have the same course and same grade thresholds?

Almost identical mathematical problems, different wording and slightly higher grade boundaries in International Papers. I've sent you longer reply in your Inbox:smile:.
The UK one is easier. I practise IAL papers specifically because they're harder.
Original post by Brahiti

The international a level is done with lots of super clever asian kids who do it specifically to get into top UK unis lol
Reply 12
I'm just wondering, where are you from that you can choose to take either the IALs or the UK A levels? Because I'm from outside the UK and I'm only allowed to do IALs - I thought you're not allowed to do IALs in the UK/ UK A levels outside the UK? Also, does is anyone also taking/ has anyone taken CIE geography/ history or Edexcel economics? I'm doing those three along with Edexcel maths for AS this year and will probably bring them up to A2 next year and would like to talk to someone... thanks :smile:
Original post by xiclei
I'm just wondering, where are you from that you can choose to take either the IALs or the UK A levels? Because I'm from outside the UK and I'm only allowed to do IALs - I thought you're not allowed to do IALs in the UK/ UK A levels outside the UK? Also, does is anyone also taking/ has anyone taken CIE geography/ history or Edexcel economics? I'm doing those three along with Edexcel maths for AS this year and will probably bring them up to A2 next year and would like to talk to someone... thanks :smile:

I got my IAS grades for edexcel econ and maths in P1,P2,M1,S1 180/200 and 270/300
Reply 14
Well I mark both and would say that any difference between them varies from year to year and is less than the precision with which a maths exam measures how good you are at maths so it is not relevant anyway.

If, as suggested above, the IAL was done by “super clever Asian kids” to get into top universities do you think the universities might, just possibly, have spotted this and adjusted their expectations accordingly? There is certainly little evidence of particular super cleverness in the scripts.
(edited 9 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest