The Student Room Group

Debate a patriarchy supporter/ anti feminist.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SHallowvale
And for a millennia it was normal for people to **** in the woods or on street. So what? 😂 Just because something was the norm in the past (or even today) doesn't make it automatically good.

Liberalism dismantled thousands of years worth of strict conservatism. I guess that makes it the stronger of the two ideologies?.

Care to explain? The scientific method is the best method we have to objectively discover and understand our reality.

As for morality, this is largely subjective and your 'God' doesn't even provide objectivity in it. Case in point: the thousands of religious denominations and interpretations that Christianity has. How you interpret the Bible or other religious texts is subjective, there is little (if any) objectivity to it.

I'm not making a naturalistic argument. In many ways the Christian conception of marriage is unnatural. I'm saying it wasn't a passing fad or something.

It's up for debate, but in any case we're all liberals to some degree. I'm not advocating for a return to feudalism or something. Reminder that the founding fathers were Pioneers of liberalism and were slave owners and would have probably burnt you at the stake :tongue:

Sure

On some things possibly but I don't think some things are up for debate.

Spoiler

Original post by Starship Trooper
I'm not making a naturalistic argument. In many ways the Christian conception of marriage is unnatural. I'm saying it wasn't a passing fad or something.

It's up for debate, but in any case we're all liberals to some degree. I'm not advocating for a return to feudalism or something. Reminder that the founding fathers were Pioneers of liberalism and were slave owners and would have probably burnt you at the stake :tongue:

Sure

On some things possibly but I don't think some things are up for debate.

Spoiler

Sure, I don't believe it was a passing fad either. I was pointing out that an 'appeal to history' is silly, but it's good that you aren't using that arguement.

I mean if liberalism, which we see today, has been able to overturn millenia of strict conservatism then I think that gives incredible weight to liberalism. You are even seeing liberalism gradually becoming adopted in typically conservative countries (e.g. Saudi Arabia). What's keeping conservatism alive in these places is usually the old elite.

There are some hypotheses that all humans have some basic level of morality. In the animal kingdom we observe moral behaviours, and certainly from an evolutionary perspective it would be beneficial for us to have some shared moral (and decent) code. Don't know much about that though. In any case, I can't see how God could provide us with any objective sense of morality.

(You too! 😁)
Original post by Crazed cat lady
Debate what?

I’m quite happy for men who can’t get their **** together to sit at home complaining about how unfair it is. They are no major loss to the dating scene.

This effectively is abuse

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending