The Student Room Group

Should we teach men to be more open, if so, then how?

I have a theory: it’s that most men are secretly sensitive. But most men don’t seem able to find the right words or simply be able to communicate feelings as much as women. There’s no place where a man can just open up.

I had a friend who liked to act like a ‘tough guy’, he never really talked about how he felt, but one day, when we were both alone, he opened up to say he felt “emotionally constipated”, which was slightly funny but also extremely concerning. I think suppressing feelings holds true for many men.

It’s no wonder why men are more likely to abuse alcohol, not seek mental health help, and be violent, with no way to open up emotions are suppressed until a poor coping mechanism is used.

I’ve come up with some suggestions for solutions:
1. Let boys play with dolls. Research shows that dolls help with empathy and understanding emotions.
2. language like ‘men up’, all sensitive men are “gay”’. Should be challenged.
3. Teach boys to open up from an early age and continue encouraging it. For example teaching boys emotional vocabulary, what feeling that they’re feeling goes with which word. Most boys can’t describe any emotion other than anger.
4. Allowing discussions about opening up to become a normal part of male friendships.

Any more suggestions? Any improvements that can be made?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by madygh13
I feel it’s quite a valid concern. I have had a lot of things to work through and was in a really dark place but it was really hard to open up to anyone. My friends were exactly like how you said saying stuff like… ‘Dude man up’ or ‘stop being so gay’. A lot of homophobia as well and when someone tries to open up they are overtly concerned with being treated as a ‘pussy’.

A lot of traditional gender roles do push the image of a manly man who never cries. No matter what happens there’s a pressure by others sometimes or maybe in their own minds to provide and be the man of the family.

I definitely think it’s a deep rooted problem and it needs to be discussed more so that people can see the problem and work towards making the situation better

Yes, this situation has definitely gotten out of hand, we’re even gendering emotions dictating who can and can’t have them. We must stop treating discussing men’s mental health as taboo, perhaps normalising it by asking men open ended questions like ‘how has today left you feeling?’ frequently may help?
Yeah, I mean asking questions like that or even an 'Are you ok? You can talk to me if you want' can go a long way.

It'll be hard for men to get used to this I guess because that might show their emotional side too, so it just gets ignored by everyone.
So definitely more of this -
4. Allowing discussions about opening up to become a normal part of male (or any gender) friendships.

Consistency is most certainly key, don’t just ask ‘are you okay?’ Once and then never again. We need to let all men know that emotions aren't just a one conversation rare occurrence, they need to know it’s always okay to open up if you need to.
Ah! That is so true. Definitely agree with you there. It might linger in their head even if the person who asked forgot about it or did not follow up.

Of course! And the more you open up the more natural and safe it feels to do, it improves your mental well-being.
I don't really see why you need to "teach men" anything, or what even makes it anyone else's place to offer such unsolicited advice.

If someone doesn't feel comfortable sharing their feelings on sensitive subjects, that's up to them. Or if they think that it would be beneficial to do so, that's also up to them. I'm sure they're more than capable of deciding on their own whether they would like to or not.
Yeah, like you said unsolicited advice does not help. What @Stressed_0ut was saying, and I agree with was the fact that - when men have feelings it becomes a challenge to share it with others because of the traditional stereotype.

I think you misunderstood the topic here. I lost someone recently and I was told to get over it. Ever since I was a kid I was taught to hide my feelings because I am a man and when I feel like I want to open up, people are not ready.

I mean I decided I want to share and I was comfortable sharing it, but the majority of my friends were not receptive to it. Was it because they were bad friends or was it because it was too much info or was it because they did not care... who knows.

The fact still remains that when I was grieving, I was told to man up and get over it.

I suppose my point is that you don't need to care about anyone "telling" you do to anything. Whether they're telling you to "man up and get over it", or to share all your emotions in the same way that a woman typically would, or anything in between, it's your choice. Stereotypes may exist, but again it's your choice as to how much you care about fitting the stereotype.

Whilst you may find that certain friends might not be receptive towards you sharing certain things with them, again I'd say that it's their choice; if they're not comfortable with that sort of relationship with you they don't really have to be. I'd say the solution is to find someone else to share it with who is more receptive. That could include different friends, a significant other, a family member, a teacher, a religious leader, or even calling up people like the Samaritans. I'm sure most people would have someone that they are able to share things like that with regardless of their gender.
Yeah, I understand that. I do not care about them telling me those things, the problem here is why are men saying this in the first place? It's not like they are inherently evil. I feel because of this stereotype, men just brush away talking about their feelings compared to women. Of course, it's not all men but then again, why is there that hesitation? Wasn't it because of that stereotype?

Ok maybe here is another example, I was told by my ex to lift all the heavy things while we were moving. I refused to do it because of back pain, but she kept on saying stuff like, 'Aren't you a man? Why can't you do it?' So here I was upset and tried to share this with my friends. A lot of men agreed with her saying that I was weak, but in general women agreed more with me saying it was totally up to me to do it or not.

So who made this stereotype and even if you or me are not bothered by it, what about a young child? Will they have the choice to make an informed decision, or will they be affected by this problem will it propagate this stereotype more?

I don't think people just sit down and invent stereotypes, which everyone is then expected to adhere to. I think it's actually the other way round; because men may already tend to be less visibly emotional than women (just as a result of being the way they naturally are), a stereotype may start to emerge. But there's no reason why you need to behave in the same way as every other man, regardless of what anyone is telling you.

The issue I have with "teaching men to be more open" is, what if I don't want to be more open? What if "manning up and getting over it" suits me just fine, as a way of dealing with my problems? If that's the way I naturally am and what I'm most comfortable with, who is anyone else to decide that there's something wrong with me for being this way?

Better than "teaching people to be like X or Y", I think it's more useful and also more respectful if people are left free to decide, as individuals, how they want to handle their own issues. Whether that's sharing your feelings or keeping them to yourself, trying to fit stereotypes or letting yourself ignore them etc. it's all your choice as an individual. Nobody needs to be told what to do; we can't socially engineer half the population to have the personalities and temperament that we decide they should have. Everyone gets to decide that on their own, as they see fit.
Reply 7
the issue is that gender roles and norms for men (and women) are not learned by just sitting down and telling someone 'look it's okay to be open'. gender norms is learned by observation; like little boys look at the world around them and then mimick what they see, so if their fathers and the men around them and the men on television look like they are 'manning up' they're going to do the exact same thing cuz that's what it means to be a man. ain't nobudy want to be a sissy girl :hmmm:

so who are you expecting to teach the next generation it's okay for men to verbally express their feelings? can't expect women to do it cuz little boys don't want to be girls - it has to come from men which obvs is a problem since lacking role models as this gendered norm has a long lienage is now engrained into us.

but i agree that men should be more open about the struggles they go through. every male recovering addict i know swears by their support group cuz they can talk about it openly with other men and relate to each other and it absolutely helps their mental health.

btw never heard of the phrase 'all sensitive men are gay', that's new to me :colondollar:
This doesn't go far enough, not even in the slightest. it is amazing how this gets replies but my topic got ignored.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7148002

You all don't care about men, even men don't care about other men. When men speak out of it doesn't fit with the narrative, he's wrong or canceled that's a Major reason men don't speak out.
(edited 2 years ago)
I know it doesn't but hey at least it's something. And as far as posts are concerned lol I have like 3 to 4 posts unanswered. TSR app is pretty weird at showing new content.

You all don't care about men, even men don't care about other men. When men speak out of it doesn't fit with the narrative, he's wrong or canceled that's a Major reason men don't speak out.

Yeah, I have experienced this. I was told to look at all the atrocities committed by men, and when I opened up about my past abuse, I was told to see what happens to women in general. I mean I understand but why deflect when you can just ignore or say ok I hear you. Why find comparisons and belittle someone's plight, smh.

Sorry, I disagree as a man this isn't "something" well, it is "something" but not something that is positive for men, it's negative. Its the same misadry and oppression of men live with everyday, consistently being told (mainly by women) they are inferior to women/girls and they should be feminised to "heal".

It's abuse, plain and simple, look at my topic.
(edited 2 years ago)
Men do talk about their feelings, just not usually when women are in the room. In the same way that when girls are on their own without guys around, they are far more open to talking directly to each other about sex, periods etc.

What women say they want in men and what they actually choose are two different things. Women are screening men for attributes such as strength and success/social status. They will deny it or rationalise it as 'he's just my type', but women don't really want men that show vulnerability, emotion and talk about their personal struggles, particularly in the early stages of dating. So how can you expect men to behave in a way that is inversely correlated with their ability to connect with women.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by tomclarky
Men do talk about their feelings, just not usually when women are in the room. In the same way that when girls are on their own without guys around, they are far more open to talking directly to each other about sex, periods etc.

What women say they want in men and what they actually choose are two different things. Women are screening men for attributes such as strength and success/social status. They will deny it or rationalise it as 'he's just my type', but women don't really want men that show vulnerability, emotion and talk about their personal struggles, particularly in the early stages of dating. So how can you expect men to behave in a way that is inversely correlated with their ability to connect with women.

interesting you say that. in my experience men are more willing to open up to women, rather than men. my whole life my best friends have always been strong men and they come to me when they want to talk about something rather than their guy friends.

not sure your second para is accurate; think just assuming things. are you female?
Original post by Joleee
interesting you say that. in my experience men are more willing to open up to women, rather than men. my whole life my best friends have always been strong men and they come to me when they want to talk about something rather than their guy friends.

not sure your second para is accurate; think just assuming things. are you female?

You're first sentence is true and not true at the same time. Men will open up to women in part, if they think it will be received well and not weaponised against them. There are many things that women just simply don't understand its got much, much worse the more men are removed from parenting. There are plenty of times a man will want to talk to another man, particularly on health issues, nothing worse than having problems in private areas or near by and seeing female Dr's for example but if we were to ask for a male, we are misogynistic.

His second paragraph is based on statistics, why else do you think women do better in divorce? Why else does money, height and ironically crime equal popularity with girls? Make a dating profile, 6 foot tall muscle 💪 well built tattooed male, previously reformed inside for drug dealing 22 year old, a 6 foot tall wealthy businessman, wearing average well fitting clothes, a 30 year old average build, stright laced with a 40k watch on and designer suit on vs a 5 3" average Joe, never been inside with a really honest well written, honest profile ... see how you get on. What girls want in reality vs what they say they want doesn't add up in particular when you observe the data.

What we have nowadays is a falsehood where girls are told they are perfect 10 whatever they are, and mostly they are not. Everyone thinks they are a 10 a high value women but the market decides a woman's worth. Men are used to this, they know they need to work to be a high value man. If they can't provide certain things they can't get a high value woman because guess what, the market decides and girls don't want to sh*g up with fat, short, broke guys ... that's just how it is. Lifes brutal! Its fine to tell guys they aren't all that, it's fine to tell men to go on a diet, its fine for women to lust after muscle bound guys with unrealistic figures and its fine for women to want unrealistic men who will freeze in cold rain on the way home for them, place their lives in danger to protect them, do all the dangerous tasks for zero reward but if a guy has preferred desires abd expectations he's shut down shamed and told to get back in line.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Burton Bridge
You're first sentence is true and not true at the same time. Men will open up to women in part, if they think it will be received well and not weaponised against them. There are many things that women just simply don't understand its got much, much worse the more men are removed from parenting. There are plenty of times a man will want to talk to another man, particularly on health issues, nothing worse than having problems in private areas or near by and seeing female Dr's for example but if we were to ask for a male, we are misogynistic.

His second paragraph is based on statistics, why else do you think women do better in divorce? Why else does money, height and ironically crime equal popularity with girls? Make a dating profile, 6 foot tall muscle 💪 well built tattooed male, previously reformed inside for drug dealing 22 year old, a 6 foot tall wealthy businessman, wearing average well fitting clothes, a 30 year old average build, stright laced with a 40k watch on and designer suit on vs a 5 3" average Joe, never been inside with a really honest well written, honest profile ... see how you get on. What girls want in reality vs what they say they want doesn't add up in particular when you observe the data.

What we have nowadays is a falsehood where girls are told they are perfect 10 whatever they are, and mostly they are not. Everyone thinks they are a 10 a high value women but the market decides a woman's worth. Men are used to this, they know they need to work to be a high value man. If they can't provide certain things they can't get a high value woman because guess what, the market decides and girls don't want to sh*g up with fat, short, broke guys ... that's just how it is. Lifes brutal! Its fine to tell guys they aren't all that, it's fine to tell men to go on a diet, its fine for women to lust after muscle bound guys with unrealistic figures and its fine for women to want unrealistic men who will freeze in cold rain on the way home for them, place their lives in danger to protect them, do all the dangerous tasks for zero reward but if a guy has preferred desires abd expectations he's shut down shamed and told to get back in line.

that might be true that that's what men think; they'll open up to women if they think it won't be weaponised against them. but that doesn't negate my point that men are more willing to talk to women about their struggles rather than men, penis problems aside.

from my perspective this is because men would rather talk to women because they don't want to seem weak in front of other men. are you male?

and the rest of your post is just a rant that is besides the point i was making or the previous user i quoted. we're talking about being vulnerable and opening up about your feelings, not whether you're tall, rich, tattooed and muscular. indeed you can do both at the same time which is what women want. are you female?
Original post by Joleee
that might be true that that's what men think; they'll open up to women if they think it won't be weaponised against them.

Interesting you recognise my point but instantly ignore it and use smoke n' mirrors tactics to leave this key and vital point regarding why men filter feelings in the dark by adding the below quote...

Original post by Joleee

but that doesn't negate my point that men are more willing to talk to women about their struggles rather than men,

... trying to turn this into a some battle of who's point is right which clearly I said you were right and wrong at the same time. Let's focus on the points of male oppression not trying to "win" or disprove some argument,

Original post by Joleee

penis problems aside.

See this is misandry in itself, you can't have a topic on how men won't speak about their problems/feeling them dismiss problems/feelings as unimportant.

Original post by Joleee

from my perspective this is because men would rather talk to women because they don't want to seem weak in front of other men. are you male?

Yes I'm male. Your perspective isn't true the truth is far, far deeper than this.

Original post by Joleee
and the rest of your post is just a rant that is besides the point i was making or the previous user i quoted. we're talking about being vulnerable and opening up about your feelings, not whether you're tall, rich, tattooed and muscular. indeed you can do both at the same time which is what women want. are you female?

1) You see this is why this topic isn't deep enough or fit for such a huge complex societal issue. You can't talk about why men won't open up or talk about feelings if you are blocking the society stereotypes and the many ways in which men and women are treated unequally which contribute to this.

The deep rooted misandry in society which I feather like lightly touch on above is the reason men are not speaking out which is a reason they are dying early, won't seek medical advice, etc.

2) The point you replied to was about this post

Original post by tomclarky

So let's not be disingenuous, my points are only a "rant" to you because you don't wish to tackle the points raised.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 15
Interesting you recognise my point but instantly ignore it and use smoke n' mirrors tactics to leave this key and vital point regarding why men filter feelings in the dark by adding the below quote...

... trying to turn this into a some battle of who's point is right which clearly I said you were right and wrong at the same time. Let's focus on the points of male oppression not trying to "win" or disprove some argument,

See this is misandry in itself, you can't have a topic on how men won't speak about their problems/feeling them dismiss problems/feelings as unimportant.

Yes I'm male. Your perspective isn't true the truth is far, far deeper than this.

1) You see this is why this topic isn't deep enough or fit for such a huge complex societal issue. You can't talk about why men won't open up or talk about feelings if you are blocking the society stereotypes and the many ways in which men and women are treated unequally which contribute to this.

The deep rooted misandry in society which I feather like lightly touch on above is the reason men are not speaking out which is a reason they are dying early, won't seek medical advice, etc.

2) The point you replied to was about this post

So let's not be disingenuous, my points are only a "rant" to you because you don't wish to tackle the points raised.

what's my mirrors and tactics?

maybe don't quote me next time if you don't care to engage with it.
Original post by Joleee
what's my mirrors and tactics?

In two ways
1) the way you add misleading information, my valid points was directly about the post I quoted, dismissing all my points on the subject of quote
[b]"What women say they want in men and what they actually choose are two different things" as a rant so you can dismiss my/our points
2) by focusing on a "fight" that isn't happening, I'm not and clearly never was trying to negate your point that men are more willing to talk to women about their struggles rather than men. I actually said you were right in my original post.

Original post by Joleee

maybe don't quote me next time if you don't care to engage with it.

Irony abounds, just because you cannot assimilate my points does not mean I'm not engaging. Irony is you have completely failed to engage with any debate on point raised in counter to your point!

Let's try again, there are plenty of times a man will want to talk to another man. One such example is regarding health issues. There is nothing worse than having problems in private areas or near by and seeing female Dr's. Unfortunately due to misandry but if we were to ask for a male, we are labeled "misogynistic".

Maybe you should pop over and speak on the topic about societal misandry to speak about this deep problem? After all you were very quick to reply in a negative light before I fished the topic?
My father had an extensive collection of Action Man dolls in the 70s/80s, some survivors of which are at my grandmothers house. There were Russians, Germans (SS and stormtroopers), obviously loads of good guys. They had bombs, grenades, knives, machine guns.....it was absolutely awesome and would never ever get made today. His favourite was the SAS guy which he said came out right after the Iranian Embassy seige.

I'm not sure if it made him more open, though.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Joleee
go to bed and sleep

Excellent content, a real deep counter argument presented.

The debate has benefitted greatly from your input as a man I now feel much more conformable about speaking up and opening out about my feelings :facepalm:

Meanwhile a man has ended his own existence due to societal pressures which some people ignore.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 19
Excellent content, a real deep counter argument presented.

The debate has benefitted greatly from your input as a man I now feel much more conformable about speaking up and opening out about my feelings :facepalm:

Meanwhile a man has ended his own existence due to societal pressures which some people ignore.

dont quote me unless you wish to engage with my point.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending