The Student Room Group

Should we teach men to be more open, if so, then how?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Joleee
that might be true that that's what men think; they'll open up to women if they think it won't be weaponised against them. but that doesn't negate my point that men are more willing to talk to women about their struggles rather than men, penis problems aside.

from my perspective this is because men would rather talk to women because they don't want to seem weak in front of other men. are you male?

My main point was that women don't really understand how men talk to each other, except for occassions when women are in the room. And there are multiple contexts where men are more concerned with appearing 'weak' to women than to other men. This idea that men are too afraid to open up to each other and talk about their struggles is massively overstated, and it's actually incredibly patronising. Women have this simplistic idea that men go down the pub feeling terrified that their mate calls them 'gay' and that must be why men act all macho.

We're all talking from personal experience here... I feel pretty comfortable talking to my male friends and male colleagues about depression, anxiety, relationships and health issues without ridicule. From my perspective, men are empathetic to each others problems and most young guys (18-30) are more preoccupied with how girls perceive them, i.e, not as low status, vulnerable etc.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Joleee
dont quote me unless you wish to engage with my point.

How dare you! I actually positive repped this rubbish my accident. I'm litterally a man expressing his feelings and issues and challenging the points you raised in #20.

You are a member of society not wishing to listen, closing my opinion down. You have shown misandry in several quotes I'm a man who is challenging this! Your words have effectively said, my "penis problems" aren't important - misandry as I highlighted you litterally typed:

"can't expect women to do it cuz little boys don't want to be girls - it has to come from men which obvs is a problem since lacking role models as this gendered norm has a long lienage is now engrained into us."

Again more misadry, blaming men and removing women from responsibility and accountability for their actions and decision based on their disproportionate power in shaping men's lifes. You said "- it has to come from men which obvs is a problem" but it hasn't figures show the more men are absent from parenting the worse men are, the more likely they are to be criminal, drug addicts etc. Reserch carried out in the states by Heritage scholars indicates that a 10 percent increase in the percentage of children living in single-parent homes leads typically to a 17 percent increase in juvenile crime. The rate of violent teenage crime corresponds with the number of families abandoned by fathers.

Women are very much the issue here, the education system is female led, boys do worse.

Grow up and debate the points raised or don't quote me
Reply 22
[QUOTE="Bridge;96477996" Burton="Burton"]In two ways
1) the way you add misleading information, my valid points was directly about the post I quoted, dismissing all my points on the subject of quote
"What women say they want in men and what they actually choose are two different things" as a rant so you can dismiss my/our points
2) by focusing on a "fight" that isn't happening, I'm not and clearly never was trying to negate your point that men are more willing to talk to women about their struggles rather than men. I actually said you were right in my original post.

Irony abounds, just because you cannot assimilate my points does not mean I'm not engaging. Irony is you have completely failed to engage with any debate on point raised in counter to your point!

Let's try again, there are plenty of times a man will want to talk to another man. One such example is regarding health issues. There is nothing worse than having problems in private areas or near by and seeing female Dr's. Unfortunately due to misandry but if we were to ask for a male, we are labeled "misogynistic".

Maybe you should pop over and speak on the topic about societal misandry to speak about this deep problem? After all you were very quick to reply in a negative light before I fished the topic?

how am i misleadingly. go back and read this conversation. quoting me and trying to start your own argument/conversation i'm not interested in. it's disrespectful
Reply 23
Original post by Trinculo
My father had an extensive collection of Action Man dolls in the 70s/80s, some survivors of which are at my grandmothers house. There were Russians, Germans (SS and stormtroopers), obviously loads of good guys. They had bombs, grenades, knives, machine guns.....it was absolutely awesome and would never ever get made today. His favourite was the SAS guy which he said came out right after the Iranian Embassy seige.

I'm not sure if it made him more open, though.

yeah my dad too :five:
Original post by Joleee
how am i misleadingly.

I've highlighted in detail, in a polite way which is more than cam be said for you.

Original post by Joleee

go back and read this conversation. quoting me and trying to start your own argument/conversation i'm not interested in. it's disrespectful

I can quote whom I like, it isn't disrespectful to challenge your post towards Tom at all, its an open forum and I'm not attacking you I'm clearly and respectfully challenging your point! Also, Tom has replied confirming he is thinking along the same lines and you ignore him as well.

What's disrespectful is you posting passive aggressive nasty comments aimed at me and not my point! So I repeat for a third time;

Let's try again, there are plenty of times a man will want to talk to another man. One such example is regarding health issues. There is nothing worse than having problems in private areas or near by and seeing female Dr's. Unfortunately due to misandry but if we were to ask for a male, we are labeled "misogynistic".

Debate the point not the person!
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending