The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Is Medicine Overrated in the UK?

Is Medicine overrated in the UK? Getting a place at Medical school is a proud moment for many, but then many people lose interest and won't care until you have passed the finals, and have progressed to quite a senior role (i.e. registrar or GP). The pay is getting better, but again it is nothing special. Qualified solicitors in MC law firms, for instance, earn far more (£110k plus). Investment Bankers can earn even more still. Doctors have to work with the working class public, just like how retail staff in shops have to.
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by StarLinyx
Doctors have to work with the working class public, just like how retail staff in shops have to.

Not sure how this has anything to do with the point you’re trying to make. Are working class citizens some type of vermin that only the unlucky have to deal with…?
Reply 2
Original post by Mesopotamian.
Not sure how this has anything to do with the point you’re trying to make. Are working class citizens some type of vermin that only the unlucky have to deal with…?

Considering how much snobbery I have seen in medical students, I am quite certain some of them look down on parts of society.
Bitter about not getting into med school?
Reply 4
Original post by black tea
Bitter about not getting into med school?

I prefer medical research.

They all say that.
Considering how much snobbery I have seen in medical students, I am quite certain some of them look down on parts of society.

Lovely observation, but please explain how interacting with the working class relates to medicine being an overrated profession.

Gap years are always better than doing biomed for GEM.

You can be a doctor and do research
Reply 9
Original post by Reality Check
They all say that.

I have met several ex-medics who left Medicine to go into research in academia. Horses for courses.
It’s all about the money and public perception, I see.
Reply 11
Original post by hungrysalamander
Gap years are always better than doing biomed for GEM.

I didn't do Biomedical Science, and GEM is too expensive.
Reply 12
Original post by black tea
You can be a doctor and do research

If you get to the top of your field.
Reply 13

no you can start doing research as an undergrad... you may not publish or find anything significant but you still can
Original post by Democracy
DNFTT. See post history.

PRSOM
Reply 15
Original post by Mesopotamian.
Lovely observation, but please explain how interacting with the working class relates to medicine being an overrated profession.

It might be one of the side effects of the profession that the snobs have overlooked up until they become a junior doctor.

Not at all.
Reply 17
Original post by coco:)
no you can start doing research as an undergrad... you may not publish or find anything significant but you still can

I mean as a career.
It might be one of the side effects of the profession that the snobs have overlooked up until they become a junior doctor.

Takes one to know one
Reply 19
I mean as a career.

there are many doctors who practice whilst conducting research - is that not a career

Latest

Trending

Trending