The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Is Medicine Overrated in the UK?

Scroll to see replies

You don't do medicine for the sake of everyone else but because you yourself want to. No need to judge anyone. Please just end your pre-misconceptions here.
Reply 21
Original post by KA_P
You don't do medicine for the sake of everyone else but because you yourself want to. No need to judge anyone. Please just end your pre-misconceptions here.

The question was not about my own thoughts on Medicine.
Reply 22
Original post by coco:)
there are many doctors who practice whilst conducting research - is that not a career

If they are publishing their research.
Also, if you want to do medicine for money, then you're in it for the wrong reason. It's better to pursue what you enjoy than be miserable with a better salary.
Reply 24
Original post by StarLinyx

Yes there's nothing stopping them from publishing

A friend of mine who is now a doctor had 10 publications by the time he left medical school. If he could do it, I'm sure doctors can do it even more easily.
There are a lot of consultants earning over 110k mate
Reply 27
You're really just starting to sound less and less confident.
Reply 28
Original post by coco:)
Yes there's nothing stopping them from publishing

If the Journals will publish their work. Not straight forward at all.
Reply 29
Original post by black tea
A friend of mine who is now a doctor had 10 publications by the time he left medical school. If he could do it, I'm sure doctors can do it even more easily.

Name the sources - I would like to read them.
The question was not about my own thoughts on Medicine.

Really? That seemed to have been the sentiment.
Reply 31
Original post by realtimme
There are a lot of consultants earning over 110k mate

Consultants, exactly. It takes a fair few years to get to that level, if you ever do.
Reply 32

of course, as you are interested in medical research and probably publishing you'll find that a few of your co-publishers will have done medicine

Have you submitted to a Journal before?
Reply 34
Consultants, exactly. It takes a fair few years to get to that level, if you ever do.

same if not worse in medical research if you ask me
Name the sources - I would like to read them.

For confidentiality reasons, I am not going to do that. But I have looked him up and he has 27 publications at the moment. He has been working for 3 years.
Reply 36
Original post by KA_P
Really? That seemed to have been the sentiment.

My own thoughts are that Medicine is overrated in the UK, but not so in the USA.

Well I certainly hope no one’s in this to stay as a trust grade doctor their whole career
My own thoughts are that Medicine is overrated in the UK, but not so in the USA.

Yes I understood that from your posts. The way you have phrased the post does seem offensive.
Reply 39

why's that, because they earn more? The main goals of doctors around the world is the same

Latest

Trending

Trending