Reply 61
Original post by coco:)
isn't calling it overrated doing just that

No.
Original post by StarLinyx
Certainly not bringing it down.

The irony. :mmm:
The question was not about my own thoughts on Medicine.

I would spit out my late night tea and have a double-take if it turns out that you are a representative spokesperson of the general public.

The title is an opinion that you share, so technically it is a thought of yours.
Reply 64
Original post by wifd149
I would spit out my late night tea and have a double-take if it turns out that you are a representative spokesperson of the general public.

The title is an opinion that you share, so technically it is a thought of yours.

The idea was more about debate, rather than trying to convince anyone whether I am right or not.
No.

The mannerism of your first post is an unprofessional one for a doctor to have. You seem to be fighting a battle from one side but putting a toe in the other. Please clarify to TSR what your intentions are with this thread.
The idea was more about debate, rather than trying to convince anyone whether I am right or not.

No one seems to be interested in debating...

Debate forum would've been a better place then, as well as clarifying this in your first post, so no misunderstandings arise.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 68

you seem to be trying awfully hard then
Is Medicine overrated in the UK? Getting a place at Medical school is a proud moment for many, but then many people lose interest and won't care until you have passed the finals, and have progressed to quite a senior role (i.e. registrar or GP). The pay is getting better, but again it is nothing special. Qualified solicitors in MC law firms, for instance, earn far more (£110k plus). Investment Bankers can earn even more still. Doctors have to work with the working class public, just like how retail staff in shops have to.

medicine is without a doubt one of the toughest degrees in the UK. To start with, you need excellent GCSE grades, at least AAA at A level plus a mountain of work experience, interview prep, UCAT prep and then a lotta luck for an offer. medicine requires resilience and determination to wake up at 4:30 AM while most of the UK is asleep and revise for an upcoming exam or do your rounds on a ward during your placement and have to wake up an angry patient to ask if you can check their vitals. It requires good communication and HUGE character.

medicine isn't about the pay. its that feeling of being able to help someone feel better or make a difference to someones life, THATS when it all pays off. Why do you say they "have to work with the working class public" as if that's a bad thing.

who would take care of you if you got seriously ill or needed a surgery? the NHS. doctors are incredible, and so are medical students. I spent a few nights in a hospital with some ovarian cysts, and chatted to a nurse around 3AM in the morning, she was exhausted of course but told me she loved her job more than anything else in the world even if the pay rises they got were a bit insulting.

so basically to sum it up, I would say its not overrated in the UK and you either have a lack of appreciation for the NHS because you've never needed them yet for some medical emergency OR you're a med reject
Original post by KA_P
Debate forum would've been a better place then, as well as clarifying this in your first post, so no misunderstandings arise.

It's more like looking for a fight when they post it in medicine community discussion.

To debate is to argue why you think that is the case. From earlier posts of this thread, it does appear that you do agree with the question in the title. If you want to look at it from another point of view, it is a way to ask about the opinion that you seemingly hold in regards to the question.

So I don’t see much of a problem thinking that the question in the title is to ask what do others think on the opinion that you seemingly share.
GP is no easy path either. But the pay scale for a GP is £62,269 - £93,965, depending on experience, qualifications and level of responsibility.

they're literally paying people 20k to go into GP - https://gprecruitment.hee.nhs.uk/recruitment/ters/england. I think you're wrong on the upper limit there (https://www.jobs.nhs.uk/xi/vacancy/916955161) you couldn't pay me enough to into GP anyway
Original post by hungrysalamander
It's more like looking for a fight when they post it in medicine community discussion.

:yep:
Reply 74
Original post by aliaa03
medicine is without a doubt one of the toughest degrees in the UK. To start with, you need excellent GCSE grades, at least AAA at A level plus a mountain of work experience, interview prep, UCAT prep and then a lotta luck for an offer. medicine requires resilience and determination to wake up at 4:30 AM while most of the UK is asleep and revise for an upcoming exam or do your rounds on a ward during your placement and have to wake up an angry patient to ask if you can check their vitals. It requires good communication and HUGE character.

medicine isn't about the pay. its that feeling of being able to help someone feel better or make a difference to someones life, THATS when it all pays off. Why do you say they "have to work with the working class public" as if that's a bad thing.

who would take care of you if you got seriously ill or needed a surgery? the NHS. doctors are incredible, and so are medical students. I spent a few nights in a hospital with some ovarian cysts, and chatted to a nurse around 3AM in the morning, she was exhausted of course but told me she loved her job more than anything else in the world even if the pay rises they got were a bit insulting.

so basically to sum it up, I would say its not overrated in the UK and you either have a lack of appreciation for the NHS because you've never needed them yet for some medical emergency OR you're a med reject

Why do you have to make it personal? As I said earlier, debate is a good thing, hearing different sides of the argument.
Why do you have to make it personal? As I said earlier, debate is a good thing, hearing different sides of the argument.

Apologies but you weren't exactly open to other perspectives tbh
Reply 76
Original post by realtimme
they're literally paying people 20k to go into GP - https://gprecruitment.hee.nhs.uk/recruitment/ters/england. I think you're wrong on the upper limit there (https://www.jobs.nhs.uk/xi/vacancy/916955161) you couldn't pay me enough to into GP anyway

My source was the BMA website, last updated Nov 2021.
Reply 77

should have mentioned it was a debate in the beginning, no? They have their own relevant opinions and experiences just like you
My source was the BMA website, last updated Nov 2021.

that was your first mistake then
Reply 79
Original post by KA_P
Apologies but you weren't exactly open to other perspectives tbh

Original post by wifd149
To debate is to argue why you think that is the case. From earlier posts of this thread, it does appear that you do agree with the question in the title. If you want to look at it from another point of view, it is a way to ask about the opinion that you seemingly hold in regards to the question.

So I don’t see much of a problem thinking that the question in the title is to ask what do others think on the opinion that you seemingly share.

I may agree with the original thread post at the time of posting, but there is always room for manoeuvre. Nobody is always right, and knows everything.

Latest

Trending

Trending