Is Medicine Overrated in the UK?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by realtimme
that was your first mistake then

Why is that?
Reply 81
Original post by StarLinyx
I may agree with the original thread post at the time of posting, but there is always room for manoeuvre. Nobody is always right, and knows everything.

look who just did a 3-point turn
Reply 82
Original post by coco:)
look who just did a 3-point turn

Not called for to make it personal.
I may agree with the original thread post at the time of posting, but there is always room for manoeuvre. Nobody is always right, and knows everything.

Thank you very much for coming to that awareness. It's easy to get offended without clarification. Take this as a learning opportunity :smile:
Reply 84
Original post by KA_P
Thank you very much for coming to that awareness. It's easy to get offended without clarification. Take this as a learning opportunity :smile:

That has been my approach to thinking for decades. Not that the thread question was about me.

Fret not OP, I merely explained why others and I would think that the title is an invitation to ask for others’ thoughts on the opinion you seemingly shared earlier. Keyword is ‘seemingly,’ and nothing is nor was intended to be taken as personal, if that is what you are concerned about.
That has been my approach to thinking for decades. Not that the thread question was about me.

Good night.
I can't say that I enjoyed this - I hope you learned something from this. I certainly did.
Why do you have to make it personal? As I said earlier, debate is a good thing, hearing different sides of the argument.

'As I said earlier' well you didn't clarify this was supposed to be a debate on OP. It sounded to me as if you didn't think much of the role of a doctor, especially when you said 'Doctors have to work with the working class public, just like how retail staff in shops have to'.

unless you're also planning to become a doctor, won't YOU be part of that working class public too? what is wrong with the working class public? why is that so comparable to retail as if that's a terrible job?

just debate :^_^:
Reply 88
Original post by aliaa03
'As I said earlier' well you didn't clarify this was supposed to be a debate on OP. It sounded to me as if you didn't think much of the role of a doctor, especially when you said 'Doctors have to work with the working class public, just like how retail staff in shops have to'.

unless you're also planning to become a doctor, won't YOU be part of that working class public too? what is wrong with the working class public? why is that so comparable to retail as if that's a terrible job?

just debate :^_^:

As I have mentioned earlier, some sections of the medical community are snobbish towards others in society, possibly starting as far back as their private school days.
I think Medicine is overrated in some ways for what it really is. The pressure, the stress, the responsibility. But I believe the majority want to go into med school because of the desire to care for people and the money. Sad but true.
Reply 90
Original post by Honeyrain
I think Medicine is overrated in some ways for what it really is. The pressure, the stress, the responsibility. But I believe the majority want to go into med school because of the desire to care for people and the money. Sad but true.

The ones who actually do it because they have empathy and compassion have my blessing to enjoy a successful career. The ones who do it because they think they can, in their own narcissistic World, seemingly look down on others - the latter lot can rot in highly pressurised and cramped environments doing very long hours with no life, for all I care for them.
As I have mentioned earlier, some sections of the medical community are snobbish towards others in society, possibly starting as far back as their private school days.

okay. I personally haven't come across these "snobby" people yet.

do medical students that come from a private school deserve to be stereotyped as 'snobby'? one of my best friends attended a private school and is a first year medic. she volunteered in care homes throughout the pandemic, aced her UCAT and is one of the most friendliest people I know. Because she had the privilege and luck to be able to afford a private school, does that make her a bad medical student??

why should students that are able to get into medicine from a slightly more privileged background taint the reputation of the medical industry? what matters at the end of the day is the service you get in the hospital, especially in emergency departments or paediatrics. everyone who I have met has been absolutely incredible, and I can't tell the difference between who went where or got what grades or whatever. Medicine can easily single out the 'snobby' private school kids. They won't be able to work hard and get those A's in science or smash the UCAT or come across as genuine in an interview or spend months volunteering or wiping people's **** in a pandemic without their heart being in it. I am incredibly proud of the rising diversity and background levels of medicine in the UK right now, there are huge levels of widening participation students joining medical schools as well as mature students or graduates, plus so many ethnic minorities who truly deserve to get into medicine. I guess we have contrasting opinions but I've been to hospital quite a few times and I haven't come across any 'snobby' people so far. Those who work hard and want it bad enough are the ones who get in.
(edited 2 years ago)
The ones who actually do it because they have empathy and compassion have my blessing to enjoy a successful career. The ones who do it because they think they can, in their own narcissistic World, seemingly look down on others - the latter lot can rot in highly pressurised and cramped environments doing very long hours with no life, for all I care for them.

I agreed with everything you said until it got to the killing part.

Latest

Trending

Trending