The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCSE Chemistry Paper 1 Higher Tier 1CH0 1H - 27 May 2022 [Exam Chat]

Scroll to see replies

what did u guys put for the question “how is copper obtained from copper oxide” lab method
(edited 1 year ago)
also the question “why doesn’t solid magnesium carbonate conduct electricity but solid magnesium does” what was ur answer
Original post by xoxo9091
also the question “why doesn’t solid magnesium carbonate conduct electricity but solid magnesium does” what was ur answer

Solid magnesium carbonate is arranged in lattice structure with magnesium ions and carbonate ions.. The ions are fixed and cannot move to carry charge.Solid magnesium has a layer of positive ions surrounded by a sea of delocalised electrons. The delocalised electrons can carry current
Reply 23
You could say that magnesium carbonate is insoluble
Original post by Humxid
You could say that magnesium carbonate is insoluble

i thought of that too but then it asked why does “solid” magnesium carbonate not conduct electricity
Original post by xoxo9091
what did u guys put for the question “how is copper obtained from copper oxide” lab method

Hi,
I believe the answer is to mix copper oxide with carbon and then heat it. Because copper is lower than carbon in the reactivity series, it can be extracted via a displacement reaction.
Reply 26
That is a correct point right?
What did you get for the one with the two equations for iron and lead?
Also what did you do for the one with the box asking you to draw an alloy metal... I didn't know how detailed I needed to go :/
Original post by MayaVellichor

i got the second one with the 3 and the 2 as when you worked out the noles it was a ratio of 0.08 to 0.12 and then you divide by the smallest to get 1:1.5 which is then equivalent to 2:3
Original post by eviemills4
i got the second one with the 3 and the 2 as when you worked out the noles it was a ratio of 0.08 to 0.12 and then you divide by the smallest to get 1:1.5 which is then equivalent to 2:3

I got the second one too but I did it by disproving that it could be the first one cause it wasn't a 1:1 ratio... So I will probably get at least 1 mark from that (fingers crossed)
What did you guys get for what is meant by dynamic?
Original post by Studentio10

I said that it meant the reaction was continuously reacting, but I wasn't really sure... Hbu?

I think I said that the reaction is consistently happening in both directions, or something like that
Also what did you do for the one with the box asking you to draw an alloy metal... I didn't know how detailed I needed to go :/

I didn't exactly draw 70% of the atoms as copper or whatever it was. I just made sure there were a lot of copper atoms compared to the number of zinc atoms. I think some people actually drew a certain amount of atoms and made 70% of them copper and the rest zinc, so like in 20 atoms, 14 would be copper and 6 would be zinc. Also, I think you get a mark for drawing the zinc atom bigger as stated in the question.

I got equation 2. My working out was much longer than what everyone else did but I hope I get the marks
(edited 1 year ago)
I said that it meant the reaction was continuously reacting, but I wasn't really sure... Hbu?

I said that the forward and backwards reaction taking place at the same time/rate and they continue to happen
Original post by madzzzzina
I got equation 2. My working out was much longer than what everyone else did but I hope I get the marks

I just worked out moles and then did a ratio? Is this what you did also?

That's what I did

No, I did a completely different method bc I don't understand the mole-ratio method. The mole-ratio method is right though!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending