The Student Room Group

Study dentistry abroad

Hi I want to study abroad for dentistry and I’m aware it can be expensive however I had a gap year and still got no offers and I really want to do dentistry so I decided abroad is the best option. My parents are fully suppprtive however we aren’t a family who’s rich where money isn’t a problem and I need some advice or does anyone know ways we can find to pay off the fees each year as I heard there’s no student loans :frown: it’s really stressful and sometimes I wish we had more money to afford it. And I sometimes feel bad putting the pressure of my parents to pay it off and I’m just hoping there’s some type of support we can get

Scroll to see replies

Hi, I don,t recommend you to study aboard
Original post by take me there

Why not?
Original post by Qwer7869
Hi I want to study abroad for dentistry and I’m aware it can be expensive however I had a gap year and still got no offers and I really want to do dentistry so I decided abroad is the best option. My parents are fully suppprtive however we aren’t a family who’s rich where money isn’t a problem and I need some advice or does anyone know ways we can find to pay off the fees each year as I heard there’s no student loans :frown: it’s really stressful and sometimes I wish we had more money to afford it. And I sometimes feel bad putting the pressure of my parents to pay it off and I’m just hoping there’s some type of support we can get

Although it might bbe hard to study abroad due to brexit issues, I would suggest spain (murcia or valencia) might be good options.
Original post by Greekdentist
Although it might bbe hard to study abroad due to brexit issues, I would suggest spain (murcia or valencia) might be good options.

Did you get any UK offers yet?
Original post by dejectedreject
Did you get any UK offers yet?

No unfortunately. How about you?:frown:
No unfortunately. How about you?:frown:

Aww sorry to hear that, I was reading your posts from a while back. No dental offers here either. My gut tells me to reapply next year as dentistry is all I want to do, but reading about people on their 2nd or 3rd gap year with still l no offers is very disheartening. My UCAT wasn't amazing (and I don't expect much of an improvement from 2680) so I'm limited as to where I can apply anyway. Just found out I can't reapply to Liverpool again so that is one option down.
Reply 7
Original post by take me there

Why would you say that without giving a reason lol. I’m already having a hard time and Losing hope so those words really didn’t help
Reply 8

i know a few people who took a gap year or two to work and now studying in europe and come back home during their holidays to work and self fund the rest of their course. the fees are fairly affordable tuiton fees + living costs. have a look at medconnect and which countries may be best suited for you.
Reply 9
Original post by goku1
i know a few people who took a gap year or two to work and now studying in europe and come back home during their holidays to work and self fund the rest of their course. the fees are fairly affordable tuiton fees + living costs. have a look at medconnect and which countries may be best suited for you.

Hi thanks for your reply I want to get a full time job and try afford for my tuition I honestly would do anything to afford it and work hard as I don’t have the privilege to be able to afford it all in one go lol .I’ll defo look into it
If you're going to study abroad but want to work in the UK after graduating, you should make sure you research how easy/possible it is to come and work in the UK with a non-UK dental qualification. It will almost certainly vary country to country, and may require jumping through multiple hoops. I don't know about dentistry, but medicine for example can be fairly challenging to get GMC approval/registration. I'm not sure how it is for GDC registration.

Obviously the easiest way to definitely be able to get registration is to study over here! Do you know why you got rejected?
Reply 11
I got rejected after interview and honestly it was cuz it’s just so competitive even though it went well other ppl did a lot better. Also I’m struggling with my a levels and I can’t see myself going through the whole application with ucat as last time I did terrible but still got lucky with an interview.
Be aware, you need to sit the ORE exam if you have completed dentistry outside the UK (there are a few exceptions). This exam stopped during the pandemic and there is currently about a 3 year waiting list. You cannot get GDC registered to work without it. I know three people who studied in Eastern Europe and they have been waiting to take the exam for 4 and 5 years due to the massive backlog of applicants. One of them works as a dental nurse and 2 are working in unrelated jobs and have given up hope if practising dentistry again.
Reply 13
Be aware, you need to sit the ORE exam if you have completed dentistry outside the UK (there are a few exceptions). This exam stopped during the pandemic and there is currently about a 3 year waiting list. You cannot get GDC registered to work without it. I know three people who studied in Eastern Europe and they have been waiting to take the exam for 4 and 5 years due to the massive backlog of applicants. One of them works as a dental nurse and 2 are working in unrelated jobs and have given up hope if practising dentistry again.

Really I heard Bulgaria as gdc considered and I had a freind who studied dentistry in uk haris and is now a practising dentist but obviously that was a while back. I’ll look into it though
Reply 14
*sorry typo I meant studied dentistry in Bulgaria not uk
Really I heard Bulgaria as gdc considered and I had a freind who studied dentistry in uk haris and is now a practising dentist but obviously that was a while back. I’ll look into it though

I would highly recommend looking at spain. It is a much better environment and also it is 5 years instead of 6 (in contrast to bulgaria).
Also, spanish are a lot easier than bulgarian lol.
Reply 16
Do you know how much it is and are you a student there yourself? Do you think it’s possible if I find a job in my gap year I can save up to pay for 1-2yrs of my time abroad and then get some support from my parents

https://www.gdc-uk.org/registration/join-the-register/route-to-registration/recognised-overseas-qualifications

The above link shows the only universities overseas that the GDC recognizes without the need to sit the ORE.
I would highly recommend looking at spain. It is a much better environment and also it is 5 years instead of 6 (in contrast to bulgaria).
Also, spanish are a lot easier than bulgarian lol.

The only problem is that Spain is £21k per year fees alone. You need to have very wealthy parents to fund that (or else take about 5 gap years lol).
The only problem is that Spain is £21k per year fees alone. You need to have very wealthy parents to fund that (or else take about 5 gap years lol).

Hey it is not all unis 21k, Murcia and Valencia are around 15k.
Sending you the link below
https://international.ucam.edu/studies/bachelor-in-dentistry-on-campus

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending