The Student Room Group

Law vs Dentistry

I'm in year 12, currently doing my AS and i'm stuck between choosing Dental or Law school. I have the right subjects to do both.
In terms of course, salary, work hours etc. which course do you guys think is the best to take.
Hard to compare the two. They are both completely different fields and disciplines. Dentistry is better for job stability, since you're basically guaranteed a job in the field if you graduate. What do you enjoy more though?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Insecable
Hard to compare the two. They are both completely different fields and disciplines. Dentistry is better for job stability, since you're basically guaranteed a job in the field if you graduate. What do you enjoy more though?

Well i've been told that i'm good at debating/writing in general. Law has good income as well.
Dentistry is good as well, like you said job stability. But is that the only adv for Dentistry though? Dental school is 5+ years compared with Law which is 3-4 years.
I'm still trying to make my mind up/
I've currently been offered a place to study dentistry. When I was in year 12 I wasn't sure what to do between dentistry or maths. If you want something health related then dentistry definitely offers that. You can also make your way up in both fields. If you haven't done so already, I would recommend trying to get work experience and see which you enjoy more :smile:
Original post by Miss.Unknow
Well i've been told that i'm good at debating/writing in general. Law has good income as well.
Dentistry is good as well, like you said job stability. But is that the only adv for Dentistry though? Dental school is 5+ years compared with Law which is 3-4 years.
I'm still trying to make my mind up/

If you do Law, you're not guaranteed a job in Law though. Bear that in mind. You should try to determine what you're most passionate about though. Maybe try reading about some Law and Dentistry topics?
If you do Law, you're not guaranteed a job in Law though. Bear that in mind. You should try to determine what you're most passionate about though. Maybe try reading about some Law and Dentistry topics?

Hmm yeah i'll do that.
But what if i graduate out of a prestigious uni or Russel group? Wouldn't my chances of getting a job increase in your opinion?

Pros of Dentistry
-Prestigious job
-Guaranteed a job right away.
-Pays well
Cons of Dentistry:
-5-6 years of Dental School.
-More years = more debt

Pros of Law
-prestigious Job
-Pays well
-3-4 years of study
-Can do a year abroad
Cons of Law
-Not guaranteed a job after grad
-Longer working hours

Can i apply to both lol XD
Hmm yeah i'll do that.
But what if i graduate out of a prestigious uni or Russel group? Wouldn't my chances of getting a job increase in your opinion?

Pros of Dentistry
-Prestigious job
-Guaranteed a job right away.
-Pays well
Cons of Dentistry:
-5-6 years of Dental School.
-More years = more debt

Pros of Law
-prestigious Job
-Pays well
-3-4 years of study
-Can do a year abroad
Cons of Law
-Not guaranteed a job after grad
-Longer working hours

Can i apply to both lol XD

Factor in what you find more interesting too? I did work experience with a Dentist in Year 10 and realised it was not for me at all. I'm starting Law at an RG uni this year. I have read a lot about Law, done work experience related to it and I definitely think it's right for me. I didn't just figure it out automatically though, I had to put myself through those things.

Good luck!
Factor in what you find more interesting too? I did work experience with a Dentist in Year 10 and realised it was not for me at all. I'm starting Law at an RG uni this year. I have read a lot about Law, done work experience related to it and I definitely think it's right for me. I didn't just figure it out automatically though, I had to put myself through those things.

Good luck!

Okay! Thank you for your advice it really helped!
Okay! Thank you for your advice it really helped!

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. :smile:

Good luck!

Haha I had a similar experience, I was all set to be a doc until the year of UCAs came :smile: I didn't do a lot of experience but I did a lot for medicine, and somehow something just didn't feel right. Then I shadowed a judge and summer courses/ readings and fell in love with the subject. It's a gradual thing though, but I'm starting law this year (provided I meet my offer) and don't regret anything so far x
Original post by Titania_Fleuret_
Haha I had a similar experience, I was all set to be a doc until the year of UCAs came :smile: I didn't do a lot of experience but I did a lot for medicine, and somehow something just didn't feel right. Then I shadowed a judge and summer courses/ readings and fell in love with the subject. It's a gradual thing though, but I'm starting law this year (provided I meet my offer) and don't regret anything so far x

I bet shadowing a judge was a great experience! Where do you plan on studying?
I’m currently holding 2 of these offer: law and dentistry. I wanted to do Med actually but I’m still waiting for that offer but rn i really have to decide btw theses two. One of the main factor for me is the fees. Dentistry is twice the sch fees of law. I always loved medicine and dentistry is a little similar but not entirely...many people has asked me to do law over the years because of my personality but I feel my heart has always been in the healthcare field. I’m looking at perhaps which is more ‘worth it’ as in because the fees are so high (international student) and I don’t wanna put so much stress on my parents. For example, dentistry is so much more expensive to study and if that’s the case, will that profession pay better than if I were to study law? I wish I can just go with passion but at this moment, there are so many factors to it...
Reply 12
I'm in year 12, currently doing my AS and i'm stuck between choosing Dental or Law school. I have the right subjects to do both.
In terms of course, salary, work hours etc. which course do you guys think is the best to take.

where till have u gotten now

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending