The Student Room Group

OCR A Level Physics Unified physics H556/03 - 16 Jun 2022 [Exam Chat]

Scroll to see replies

Just a thought?
B+ and B- penetration etc.
Would the B+ annihilate before getting near to or through the magnet? Sites say they only travel 2mm before annihilation.
Original post by katumba
Just a thought?
B+ and B- penetration etc.
Would the B+ annihilate before getting near to or through the magnet? Sites say they only travel 2mm before annihilation.

U may be overthinking this B+ has penetration between 20cm and 3m so if the magnetic field is placed fairly close to the B+ source it would be fine
Reply 282
Original post by aaq1
Grade boundaries for A*
2017: 207, 2018: 219, 2019: 230

Grade boundaries for A
2017: 178, 2018: 188, 2019: 204

This year's paper difficulty level was perhaps at the 2018 level.

Considering that the grade boundaries would be lenient this year (circa 13% (1 in 8) will get A* and 34% (1 in 3) an A), grade boundaries are likely to be: A*: 205, A: 180

If you look at the grade statistics for 2019 and 2021
https://ocr.org.uk/Images/552366-as-and-a-level-cambridge-technicals-and-other-level-3-final-exam-statistics-june-2019.pdf
https://ocr.org.uk/Images/632539-as-a-level-core-maths-extended-project-and-fsmq-final-results-statistics-june-2021.pdf

In 2019 7.79% got an A*, 25.6% got A/A*, so 17.81% got an A
In 2021 19.7% got an A*, 43.09% got A/A*, so 23.39% got an A

If the grades between 2019 and 2021 are done at a subject/board level
In 2022 13.7% will get an A*, 20.6% will get an A

Did you mean 34% get an A/A*?
Anyone else deathly worried about grade boundaries? Anyone want to predict them and we can see who gets close lol
Original post by randommath123
Anyone else deathly worried about grade boundaries? Anyone want to predict them and we can see who gets close lol

predicting them will make it worse 💀 let’s just chill in the meantime
Reply 285

Predictions will be more random than a normal year. What nobody knows is how much people across the country were affected by Covid - students being off school, teachers being off school, remote teaching, then there is also the impact of people having no public exam experience, which I would expect to affect lower grade boundaries more - less motivated students will have underestimated the task of revision. The boundaries could go down a lot but are extremely likely to go down a bit, particularly for lower grades.

2019: A* 85%, A 76%, B 64%

My top estimates (actually think they will be a bit lower)
2022: A* 81%, A 71%, B 57%
Original post by TCL
Predictions will be more random than a normal year. What nobody knows is how much people across the country were affected by Covid - students being off school, teachers being off school, remote teaching, then there is also the impact of people having no public exam experience, which I would expect to affect lower grade boundaries more - less motivated students will have underestimated the task of revision. The boundaries could go down a lot but are extremely likely to go down a bit, particularly for lower grades.

2019: A* 85%, A 76%, B 64%

My top estimates (actually think they will be a bit lower)
2022: A* 81%, A 71%, B 57%

I pray an A* is below 80% honestly. I’m not sure it’ll be 207 like it was in June17 but maybe something more like 210-214 would be reasonable? I’m going to just convince myself that’s realistic for now :smile:
Original post by anon_a4
predicting them will make it worse 💀 let’s just chill in the meantime

For the last few days, chill hasn’t been in my vocabulary unfortunately
Original post by aaq1
Looks like we've got the below range of estimates for grade boundaries:

A* - 76% - 81% (205-219 marks)
A - 67% -71% (180-191 marks)

Of course, no one knows the range at the moment other than the exam board staff who are involved in this year's process. So, it will be amusing to come back and see how far out we are.

If it’s 205 I’ll be the happiest man on earth on Thursday ahahah
Original post by aaq1

Of course, no one knows the range at the moment other than the exam board staff who are involved in this year's process. So, it will be amusing to come back and see how far out we are.

Actually - I just looked at CIE boundaries and they seemed to have dropped quite a lot from June 19 to June 22. Maybe that means boundaries will plummet a bit?

My teacher predicted 77-78% for an A* this year for OCR so let’s see how close that is
Original post by aaq1

You were bang on!
For OCR A Level Physics A
A* 211 marks
A 181 marks
Original post by Janus22
You were bang on!
For OCR A Level Physics A
A* 211 marks
A 181 marks

I guessed 212 so I was a little bit off but pretty damn close. I think boundaries should’ve been a little higher this year but I guess it benefits those who scored lower.
I guessed 212 so I was a little bit off but pretty damn close. I think boundaries should’ve been a little higher this year but I guess it benefits those who scored lower.

well it is dependent on the performance of pupils in the exam so people to a degree must have found these exams pretty difficult.
Especially at the lower end.
An E grade in biology went from 26% (2019) to 19% (2022) (-7%), chemistry went from 23% to 16% (-7%) and physics went form 31% to 17% (-14%).
Original post by NOICELYDONEBM
well it is dependent on the performance of pupils in the exam so people to a degree must have found these exams pretty difficult.
Original post by NOICELYDONEBM

How did you do? I saw you on this thread before panicking about scores - I bet you did better than expected!
How did you do? I saw you on this thread before panicking about scores - I bet you did better than expected!

I got an A* idk my score cause it wasn't on my results and in all honesty i don't really care. But cheers

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending