The Student Room Group

AQA A-level Physics Paper 3 (7408/3) - 15th June 2023 [Exam Chat]

Poll

How did your AQA A-level Physics Paper 3 exam go?

AQA A-level Physics Paper 3 (7408/3) - 15th June 2023 [Exam Chat]

Welcome to the exam discussion thread for this exam. Introduce yourself! Let others know what you're aiming for in your exams, what you are struggling with in your revision or anything else.

Also, check out our article of student reactions to the exam - your comments on this thread might be on there!

Wishing you all the best of luck. :yy:

General Information
Date/Time: 15th June, am
Length: 2hr (Paper 3 is 2 hours in total)

Resources
https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/science/as-and-a-level/physics-7407-7408
https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/sample-papers-and-mark-schemes/2021/november/AQA-74083-INS-NOV21.PDF
https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/physics-revision/a-level-aqa/
A-level Physics Study Group 2022-2023

Congratulations on finishing your exam
(edited 10 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Does anyone have any good tips on how to approach revision for this paper when the time comes? I have litterally barely revised this paper as i only just finished the content in lessons a few weeks ago (three i think).
Reply 2
Original post by Roshanr04
Does anyone have any good tips on how to approach revision for this paper when the time comes? I have litterally barely revised this paper as i only just finished the content in lessons a few weeks ago (three i think).

I think it is best to just print out all the past papers so that you can use your ruler, protracter etc, I recommed printing some of the 2016-2022 (if you can) paper and just doing them and then in red pen correct the answer / leave notes inside the papers so that you can review them a few day before exam, so: if you need more practice AS paper 2 is great for paper 3 practice, other than that, its just learning the practical's and practicing atp - use YouTube for a lot of the weird parts like weird equipment that shows up in past papers to understand them or uncertainties especially, other than practice and just analysing the past paper questions I don't think there's much more : )
Reply 3
Does anyone else do the medical physics option?
Is anyone here able to send the 2022 paper 3 both 3A and 3B turning points? I am not sure if it is allowed or not but I did not find it anywhere online
Reply 5
Do we have to know in depth content from paper 1 and 2 for paper 3. Seen some questions where they ask for phase difference but its only a couple marks.
Reply 6
I have both the papers, at my college the teachers gave it to us. IDK if Im allowed to share them, but I haven’t heard anything saying I can’t
Reply 7
Original post by Heisenberg66
Is anyone here able to send the 2022 paper 3 both 3A and 3B turning points? I am not sure if it is allowed or not but I did not find it anywhere online

I don't have the papers but this website has a bunch of questions.

https://www.accesstuition.com/
Reply 8

send me ur email. Ill send it to u
Original post by Abdullah05
send me ur email. Ill send it to u

Just sent you on a private chat, thank you so much!!
hi can anyone explain the difference between absolute uncertainty and uncertainty, if a ruler goes up by 1 mm would you say that the absolute uncertainty is half this value so +-0.5mm?
Original post by moonlight2460
hi can anyone explain the difference between absolute uncertainty and uncertainty, if a ruler goes up by 1 mm would you say that the absolute uncertainty is half this value so +-0.5mm?

Uncertainty is just a general name for both percentage uncertainty and absolute uncertainty.

The ruler's absolute uncertainty would be +- 0.5mm as it is a measurement and so the ABSOLUTE uncertainty is half the resolution.

In case of converting between different units (such as speed for example that consists of distance and time) you would use a percentage uncertainty and then time the percentage by the result which would give you the total absolute uncertainty
Uncertainty is just a general name for both percentage uncertainty and absolute uncertainty.

The ruler's absolute uncertainty would be +- 0.5mm as it is a measurement and so the ABSOLUTE uncertainty is half the resolution.

In case of converting between different units (such as speed for example that consists of distance and time) you would use a percentage uncertainty and then time the percentage by the result which would give you the total absolute uncertainty

can you elaborate more on that last bit?
In relation to a question, a student has a diffraction grating marked 3.5x10^3 lines per m, first two questions ask for the % uncertainty and grating spacing which was 2.9% and 0.29mm, the third questions asks for the absolute uncertainty in the value of the spacing of which the answer is +- 0.01 mm can someone help me with this?
Original post by moonlight2460
can you elaborate more on that last bit?

Yes, so let's say you are looking to calculate the uncertainty of a speed from distance and time.

Let's say the distance is 10m with an absolute uncertainty of +-2m
The time is 5s with an absolute uncertainty of +-1s

Obviously, to calculate the actual speed you do 10/5 = 2ms^-1
But then to calculate the uncertainty you need to convert to a percentage uncertainty as the units of distance and time don't match.

2/10 * 100 = 20%
1/5 * 100 = 20%

Now to get the percentage uncertainty of speed you ADD the percentages. You can NEVER subtract the percentage uncertainties.

20 + 20 = 40%

Now to find the absolute uncertainty of the SPEED you do 0.4 * 2 = +-0.8 ms^-1
Reply 15
I reckon section a will be on Magnetic fields as it did not come up on the second paper and its a pretty big topic
Original post by Orlando777
I reckon section a will be on Magnetic fields as it did not come up on the second paper and its a pretty big topic

My thoughts exactly
Reply 17
If I were to guess the 3 practicals they use it would be:
- Young's slit / diffraction
- Magnetic fields (flux linkage or force on a wire, possibly both?)
- SHM (pendulum)

They didn't do an awful lot of those in the first 2 papers so I'm going to prioritise these topics.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 18
Anyone got any predictions for astrophysics, what came up in 2022?
Reply 19
anyone else doing engineering?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending